Teridax's plan and the Makuta

So, I was wondering why in Mata Nui would the the other Makuta help Teridax to awaken Mata Nui? I was under the impression that he wanted to hide the fact that he planned to take over the GSR so if the other Makuta didn’t know that was his end game…why would they help him and stall the Toa to allow them to wake up the Great Spirit? What outcome did they think would happen? Obviously there is no scenario that would be good for the Makuta…so again is there any part that explains what the Makuta thought they were doing?

1 Like

There’s a couple important things to keep in mind here.

One is that questioning Teridax after his takeover could be a legitimate cause for your removal. Three Makuta initially sided with Miserix and all three were executed by the brotherhood later on; weak links were removed as early as possible to keep only the most dedicated Makuta up to speed, like Gorast and Mutran. Possible betrayers like Krika were teamed up with the most adamant Makuta or put in positions where their betrayal would mean nothing to the plan.

As for why the Makuta were willing to venture into Karda Nui in the first place, the vast majority of the brotherhood did not know how the universe operated. Only the Order of Mata Nui and select individuals across the MU understood the true nature of the GSR, which is why Teridax had Mutran seek him out. Only Teridax knew the Brotherhood was being sent to their deaths in the core of the MU, and Mutran was not only a little loopy, but adamantly dedicated to Teridax’s vision, being one of the few people to which the details were shared more or less in their full context. He was so confident he even attempted to control the energy storm which killed both him and his fellow Makuta.

And in terms of the outcome, the Makuta were generally under the impression that yielding the universe to Teridax would be in their best interests, as there was little thought given to the notion that Teridax would betray or dispose of them at that point or any time before it. In their minds, the universe would belong to Teridax, and they would be more valuable than ever to micromanage the world in the servitude of the Makuta. Strength meant a lot in the Brotherhood, and Miserix’s adamant resolve to the whims and conduct of Mata Nui weren’t nearly as appealing as the grand ambitions of Teridax with the raw strength and intelligence to back them up.

8 Likes

I can understand that, one thing that makes me think they didn’t know Teridax would be taking over the GSR though is Icarax is talking to Krika in legends 11 and tells him how terrible it will be once the Toa awaken Mata Nui and that he won’t be very happy the Makuta put him to sleep, which means in my mind at least, that they thought they were waking up Mata Nui so he could control the GSR. The fear of Mata Nui waking up is what is the driving nail into why Krika finally rebels with Icarax. Bionicle legends 11 the final battle on page 51 and 52 are my reference.

2 Likes

Could be interpreted either way. Both Icarax and Krika distrust Teridax for different reasons. Icarax values power over brain and believed himself to be more powerful than Teridax. The transformation may be changed that. The other Makuta anticipated the awakening of the Great Spirit. Krika warns the Toa to turn around and leave the Great Spirit asleep for their own sake. The Makuta definitely knew that awakening the Great Spirit would be Teridax’ final victory.
Krika rebelled because his loyalty was with Miserix and the old values of the brotherhood. Icarax feared what Teridax had in store for him once his power outmatched Icarax’s own. Krika shows remorse for his actions. Icarax has a gut feeling about what Teridax is going to do, even though he does not know the details.

3 Likes

To be honest, I’m not even sure if the Order knew. Take these interactions from Dwellers In Darkness:

A bolt of energy shot out from a bank of machinery nearby. It struck Brutaka, shattering his mask to pieces.

“You had to ask,” Bomonga grumbled to Iruini.

“My apologies for the abrupt greeting,” said the voice of Teridax. It was strangely soft, and seemed to be coming from all around. “But I couldn’t have Brutaka helping you to leave prematurely. Not when we have so much to discuss.”

“Makuta!” said Helryx. “I know what you’re planning. You won’t get away with it.”

“You know?” Teridax repeated, amused. “If you knew, you would be fleeing in panic, Toa. No, you suspect … just as Zaktan does. Or perhaps he does more than that?”

A loud hum filled the room. A moment later, both Zaktan and the water tank in which he dwelled exploded.

“I know all that you have forgotten,” Brutaka said. “I know that you put millions of lives at risk with your foolish grab at power. This is not what you were meant to do. This is not why you were created.”

“He is in the machines,” Miserix muttered. “Of course. So if we destroy the machines …”

The exiled Makuta hurled a bolt of gravitic power at the banks of machinery. Where it struck, metal began to crumple, folding in on itself as its gravity increased 100 times. But it was not Teridax who struck back at him – it was Brutaka! A blow from his sword sent Miserix sprawling.

“No! You do not understand!” shouted Brutaka.

“Then enlighten them,” said Teridax. “Please.”

Brutaka nodded. “We … we stand in as close to the mind of Mata Nui as it is possible to be. If we destroy this place, we destroy that mind, and doom the universe.”

“I don’t understand,” said Toa Norik. “If this is Mata Nui’s mind … where is his body?”

Brutaka gestured broadly, indicating everything around them. “It is our universe, Toa. We live inside the Great Spirit. But now Teridax has taken root in that body and controls it … controls all. As soon as the Toa Nuva awaken the body, Teridax will be unleashed to rain darkness on all who live.”

In the first, Helryx is clearly aware that Teridax is going to take some kind of power, but Teridax makes it seem like she doesn’t fully understand how.

In the second, it is heavily implied that Brutaka is the only one there who truly knows what the deal is.

8 Likes

it honestly would have ruined the grand scope of the reveal of the MNR and makuta’s scheme if too many, on either side, knew of its true nature

1 Like

How did Brutaka know? Is it the nature of his mask to give one knowledge of the universe, or did he just guess correctly?

When he fell into the pool of Antidermis from which the Makuta were created on one of the Southern Islands, he became merged with the substance and gained knowledge of the universe and the Makuta’s original purpose.

3 Likes

The other Makuta absolutely knew Teridax would take over GSR, its in the very text you included. I have no idea how you got the exact opposite from that, but Icarax and Krika feared Teridax taking over. They were the only ones who realized what Teridax would do to them after completing the Plan. The rest of the Brotherhood was in on the Plan and played their roles because they expected to bask in the collective Makuta glory after it was completed.

A much better question would be: if Toa exceeded Teridax’s expectation and managed to awaken GSR using the original method, how would Teridax deal with Mata Nui’s spirit and Ignika going black. The elegant solution he used in the story would no longer be an option. Additionally, Toa Ignika would be a powerful ally for the rebelion, at least until the universe was ended by it

1 Like

My reasoning is, because that is exactly what the quote says “To stop them from waking mata nui of course, the Toa are about to undo the only part of this plan that made any sense” anpoint to my reasoning was, the whole point of Teridax secretly going about doing everything he did was so the other makuta (who were not trustworthy and equally powerful) would not attempt to ruin his plan or take it for themselves, that’s why he brought them to Karda Nui to die in the energy storm, I think Greg even mentions that is why Mutran was like "Our glorious leader loses to six novice Toa and kills two dark hunters, sparking a war, also complaining that he gave everyone a 1000 years of peace, they didn’t understand he needed the Toa mata, he was deceiving everyone and keeping them in the dark, they had no idea why he was throwing his battles, they were even questioning the point of reviving mata nui. Also in the comics, Chirox talks of conquering by NOT the way of Teridax controlling the GSR and Vamprah speaks of another reason for their mission in Karda Nui, and supposedly the comics are canon. But see that’s the thing about the story, it’s almost like Greg didn’t know exactly what to write about the plan goal and reveal until much later, which would not be unbelievable, evidence points to two different conclusions, it’s just on one hand it seems like they had no idea when reading their responses to situations, however in the final book, it makes it seem like they obviously knew.
Screenshot_20221008-175830~3

2 Likes

I didn’t mean to sound rude, I was just surprised that someone would interpret the text in such a way because I thought it was quite obvious that they knew Teridax was taking over MU as part of the plan.
I do not deny that he kept some secrets from the rest of the Brotherhood, in fact it would be weird if he didn’t, but this was a core part of the plan and the others were fully aware of it.
Them being wary of waking up Mata Nui isn’t too surprising because they had no guarantee other than their leader’s word that the plan would work - if something went wrong they could just simply wake up the gret spirit fully without Teridax taking over and that would be the end of them. But the reason behind Krika’s and Icarax’s fear was the realization that their leader would betray them. The other were too loyal or convinced that the victory was for all members of the Brotherhood to share.
The Mutran’s comment about Teridax’s performance is regarding the events that happened before the current version of the plan was set in motion-Teridax only fully commited to it only after his defeat by Toa Metru.
You are correct of course about the Teridax sending the select Makuta to Karda Nui to dispose of them, they would just do some crucial work for him befire that. The comments by other Makuta you mention is simply them loosing trust in the Plan and reverting to an Icarax-like mentality - why waste our time with intricate plan which might easily fail and backfire, when we could be counqering the universe openly?

3 Likes

Oh I got ya, well after looking into it further I realized I just did not actually read enough of the story to have the full picture, I was like many people online that just read parts of the story here and there on Bisector 01 and just think I know what’s going on, I actually only readyl half of one of the books so far and a portion of another, I’m ashamed to say as a long time Bionicle fan, literally since year 1, it’s not that I dislike reading, I read often, Its just the story is all over so many different media types so I just found out what I wanted to know. So I think it just comes down to my severe lack of knowledge of the full story. So far I’ve only read a portion of legends 9 and 10 and then some story serials lol. Perhaps in the future I will do what a normal person does and not jump into a debate with half the knowledge haha.

3 Likes

I understand you. First time I read the books it was pretty boring and felt forced. I forgot most of it and then after years started reading Greg quotes from Biosector links, talking to people about lore, getting into some empty zones out of curiosity. And reread some guides.

Only after about a year I opened Adventures all over again, and it hit hard, felt like hearing a real legend after being hyped up by all the lore descriptions and concept arts. I guess it’s how Bionicle is, pretty dull and dead until you sort pieces together to feel its complexity.

4 Likes