The Antidermis pool (Gilahu's Brotherhood Project Makuta WIPs)

Legs for Vyrdran:

@Maarlfox

I’d call them finished so far exept for one thing: See those dark grey system pieces behind the Nuparu claw on the right leg? Those will eventually be black and added on both sides of the claws on both legs.

Also this is what I meant with “rather tall”:

5 Likes

I just realized you use the Nui-jaga faceplate piece on the hips of almost every moc you make, and they’re on all the Makuta except Jarnat. I feel like Jarnat should have one now, for consistency.

~W12~

1 Like

Furtaan doesn’t have either - at least not on the front. As to Jarnat - haven’t revamped him yet ;). But I’ll keep that in mind for the future.

1 Like

That is quite tall. Looking good, although I’m not a huge fan of the large silver piece on the upper thigh. I think that’s probably more me not being able to visualize the upper body in conjunction with them rather than them looking bad. Looks great so far!

1 Like

@Maarlfox

Vyrdran update: Torso is more or less finished although I’m still trying to figure out a way to make it look more interesting, arms are unfinished and some colours might be changed, legs are still lacking the proper system pieces behind teh Nuparu claws. Neck will likely be lime green, too, eventually, head will be custom. Those Pohatu Nuva claws are supposed to be on top of the cloak he’ll eventually get.

5 Likes

Seems great. I really like the Metrutoran chestplate. Arms definitely need some bulk to them. Perhaps adding green bohrok eyes to the top of the chestplate in place of the nubbed 3x axels at the nape of the neck would look good? Might make it look crowded/boxy though. Legs look fantastic.

2 Likes

I’ll probably go for Metru upper leg armor for the upper arms if I can figure out a way to attach it.
Attaching Bohrok eyes above the chest piece is actually a good idea I haven’t thought of. Thing is, I need those studs to eventually attach the cloak. Maybe I can find a solution.

1 Like

How does the cloak attach? I’ve never worked with cloaks before.

I sew my cloaks myself. Basically the way I attach them (depending on cloak type) is either by cutting a hole in them and hanging them around the neck for small cloaks or cutting small holes into the fabric to attach them via studs. Sometimes both.

Maybe take a look at my revamps of Zhun, Sachel, Repirax and Xoth (linked in the project topic - click on the silhouette symbols) for examples.

Vyrdran’s cloak I haven’t designed yet - I can only do that once I’ve finished the MOC.

2 Likes

Spontaneously took a group shot of my revamps (not including Jarnat and Mutran, though - while they technically already are revamps I will redo both of them).

Looking at them all together always motivates me to build more Makuta - unfortunatley my average Makuta MOC is also a sad example of a too heavy MOC with too weak joints… It’s a far more impressive feat to have them all standing in one place together than it should be. Especially Ornek is a nightmare of stability - probably will have to redo his legs at some point.

In the back row there’s also not quite finished Isthra (@Willess12 - opinions on that head?) and headless even more not quite finished Vyrdran.

Otherwise no updates (waiting until my favorite bricklink store which is also cheap has all the pieces I currently need)

11 Likes

Can’t see it too well, but what I can see, it looks very Medusa-like. perfectly fitting for a mask of fear I suppose. I might try to make something similar myself.

~W12~

If only they were in “dynamic” poses

It’s roughly based on the Protector masks since Erevor wore one as a Mask of Fear.

:sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Huh, has been quite a while…

Finally made progress on Vyrdran’s head, though @Maarlfox. Opinions?

If the head’s alright he basically is only lacking his cloak/cape at this point.

9 Likes

A bit thin, but pretty good overall

1 Like

Oh that’s neat. I like the orange hand serving as the piercing eyes.

3 Likes

It’s very cool looking, but it doesn’t quite read Vyrdran to me, if that makes sense. I’ve always pictured the head to be very angular, almost bird-like, with a pronounced front, and sort of a swept-back look in the rear. I think he would look better with some fangs, but I’m not too worried if he doesn’t have them. I’m not a massive fan of the green piece atop his head. I also definitely want his eyes to be green if possible.

It’s possible that the head will look great with the cloak though, so I think I need to see him with it on before I’m able to give informed feedback. The way it is now doesn’t quite mesh with the body, but I think the cloak could definitely change that. The build on it is definitely impressive, I’m just not sure it suits the rest of the MOC, which I adore.

2 Likes

Woah.
The piece usage on that head is amazing.
The light green pan piece and droid body, really clever.

~W12~

2 Likes

Not gonna happen, I fear - I’ll give all Makuta orange eyes, no matter what.

That is impossible to avoid completely simply given the fact that the head has to be constructed with small parts, but yeah, it does look a little out of place.

Personally I’m not quite satisfied with the gap below the eyes and the narrow chin section yet, so I’ll probably work a bit more on the lower section of the mask especially.

As to whether the head shape fits Vyrdran or not - I’m kinda aiming for a mix of “super arrogant and austere” and a hint towards the mask power (that’s why that pan piece is there).
If you want it to look a certain way maybe draw me a rough picture? I’ll see what I can do then.

Putting it in the light of “arrogant and austere” makes it a whole lot better immediately. I see where you’re coming from now.

I’m still not a major fan of the pan piece specifically. I think it would perhaps look better if it were over one of his eyes, similar to Kopaka’s lens, but I think the result may ruin the grandiose look.

Honestly, looking at it a second time, it looks much better than I thought it did. Perhaps it was just the initial disconnect from how I’d visualized it in my head. I think it should be a bit larger, because it seems tiny in comparison to the shoulders, but the cloak will help with that for sure.

In terms of face structure, I think the Icarax version of the Krahkaan and Kirop’s mask illustrate what I imagined it looking like (my drawing skills are garbage, so I doubt I’ll be able to produce an image, but I will certainly try), though I think that’s mostly my cognitive bias towards the original. I don’t know. I think it will be fine as-is, but I agree with you that the space under the eyes needs to be addressed.

As always, thank you for taking the time to consult me. It’s very much appreciated.

1 Like