The Battle for Wesnoth

I don’t know if anyone of you has ever even heard of this game - I myself found it purely by accident. Since I’ve played it pretty much every day since I discovered it about two or three months back I thought it might be a good idea to tell you about it and - should there be any interest - open up a place for discussion as well.

Let’s see, how do I describe it best…

You know Nintendo’s Fire Emblem series? Then you get the basic idea. The Battle for Wesnoth is a turn based strategy game in a fantasy setting in which you recruit units, let them run across maps, fight enemies, gain experience points and eventually let your units level up into stronger units.
If you’re playing a campaign it’s also possible to call up units you used in previous scenarios, thus creating a certain bond between you and your units (if they survive long enough).

However, the game pretty much expects you to sacrifice units from time to time - to hold off a wave of enemies for a few turns that would otherwise annihilate your whole army between themselves and the enemies you’re curently trying to deal with, or to deal some much needed damage to the enemy boss but dieing when he hits back. And when your paladin that you had since he was a simple rider goes down in the middle of an army of skeletons after having slaughtered enemies beyond count you definitely will be tempted to reload…

But speaking of fights… the actual combat is somewhat - if not extremely - luck based. This game probably is nothing for people who get easily upset. The chance to hit with an attack is based on how well the target of the attack can adapt to the terrain its standing on.

An example:
Heavy infantry standing up to its chest in water has a defense stat of 10% - meaning that you’ll hit it with a chance of 90%. (and this far I haven’t discovered a better hit chance)

Most of the time you’re not this fortunate, though. Average hit estimates range from 30% to 70 % - and of course it always seems like the enemy is hitting with every 30% attack while even your mages who always have a hit estimate of 70% can’t hit that giant troll in front of them…

If you play Fire Emblem games you’ll probably have read these last paragraphs with a certain… horror, but it does work, I assure you. Just accustom yourselves to a lot of your units dieing because you simply don’t hit - or of course you could save your game a lot and reload every time something doesn’t work out as it SHOULD.

Well, if you haven’t tried this game out yet, it’s definitely worth a try, because… it’s free to play!!!

Also it supposed to be pretty easy to create custom stuff like maps, campaigns, even units! Maybe after the Brotherhood Project I’ll try to come up with a Bionicle something (I alread y have a few ideas…)

The download and a lot more of information you can find somewhere on the official website for this game:

There also is a multiplayer, but I haven’t tried that out yet… I still need to play through a few campaigns.


I’ve played it a bit and it’s quite fun, though I had to quit a campaign at 9/10 of the way through.

Yeah, a few “levels” are quite difficult… so far I only really had to “cheat” (reload every time the outcome of a fight didn’t work for me because I lost too many good units) once, though.

It’s great fun with a few mates, sitting around a projector. It’s no substitute for actual tabletop gaming though. :frowning:

1 Like

Just finished “A Tale of Two Brothers”.

I’m currently playing through “Delfador’s Memoirs” and have to say that “A Tale of Two Brothers” thus far was by far the easiest campaign.

“The Legend of Wesmere” had a level I had to try at least a dozen times until I managed to win and “The Eastern Invasion” included the level I could only beat by “cheating”…

Recently finished the Dragon Trilogy - which is user created content which you have to download as an addon. And I have to say - it was AMAZING. Tons of new units, great story, good music, and the cast of main characters in the second part might actually have been my all time favorite group of main characters anywhere.

If anyone really likes Battle for Wesnoth I’d actually say this Trilogy is a must play. Don’t know how many hours it took me to finish, but its quite lengthy, too.

The three parts are:

A Song of Fire

  • nothing too special in terms of gameplay, but tons of completely new good-looking fairly balanced units

War of the Jewel

  • Awesome story, awesome main characters, uses the “skill” system you might know from the campaign Under the Burning Suns, and introduces several new factions with new units, too
  • there’s also a gamebreaking bug I found, though - at the beginning, before you start the duel, SAVE - because it happened to me that somehow a character couldn’t enter the arena and thus I couldn’t finish the level, so I had to replay it completely

Aria of the Dragon-Slayer

  • some more new units, nice story, and tons of references to the first two parts, most of the main campaigns as well as to another addon (A New Order (this one was ok, I guess) and maybe more I didn’t play?) - they’re not needed to understand the story, but its really nice if you get them
  • Towards the end you have the chance to control some really frikking overpowered units - fighting some really frikkin overpowered enemies. And it’s awesome.
  • I found one bug/error and one problem, though:
    Bug: One character essential to the levels he’s in isn’t displayed on the map - you just see the coloured ring that indicates he’s there. You can use him like any unit, though.
    Problem: In the level where you are besieged by Undead and Nightmares you should strike at the Nightmare’s leader as soon as possible after you received reinforcements - simply do it. Because I had the problem that the allied NPC surrounded said leader, but didn’t attack, thus blocking me from getting anywhere near the leader myself. Which meant I actually had to cheat to finish that level if I didn’t want to play it again.

Just thought I’d mention it :wink:

1 Like