The BIONICLE TCG topic - A "BIONICLE: Quest For The Masks: Trading Card Game" Discussion and Deck Tech topic.

Hello Boards!

After watching the latest Eljay Johnsen Show featuring Swert about 810NICLE day. Where they revealed that The Beaverhouse & CO are planning on playing the “BIONICLE Quest For The Mask: Trading Card Game”. I got excited to make a topic about this rather obscure piece of BIONICLE media so here we go.

In this topic your allowed to talk about anything related to this game, Decks, strategize, rules, you name it.

Rules:

• Keep discussions civil
  • No trading or selling allowed in this topic.

Sources to find out more about the game or use to build decks or learn to play:
Full card list (Except Card #197):

Card #197 (Recreated by Redditer: u/Ivanproff on r/bioniclelego)

Offical Upperdeck website with rules and info from 2001.
https://web.archive.org/web/20020217045822/http://www.upperdeckentertainment.com/bionicle/train2.asp

Deck building rules:

Deck building rules for the “Rahi Challenge Expansion”:

This is the last thing promise. To get the discussion rolling let me share with you my own deck I’ve made I call it Kopaka control:

Toa card
Card 51 Kopaka

Great mask/Turaga cards:
Card #52 Kanohi Kakama
Card #56 Kanohi Hau
Card #57 Kanohi Akaku
Card #58 Cheif of Ko-Koro village
Card #59 Ice pick
Card #60 Kanohi Matatu
Card #168 Kanohi Pakari: Holo
Card #169 Kanohi Kaukau: Holo
Card #170 Kanohi Miru: Holo

This deck is made with mostly cards from the starter decks though there are three holo cards used that was only available in the booster packs. The deck uses card that draws you more cards and disrupts your opponents to win the game by over valueing them.

Hoping for some fun discussions and cool decks from you all!
//Tarkur

EDIT: Due to miss reading the rules for the deck building of an Game Action deck my Kopaka deck isn’t following the rules however I’m planning on rework the deck list soon so it will be good to go. For those wondering what the problem was here’ the answer: A Game Action deck needs at least 2 of each Game Action card type to be considered a deck. So basically for a Game Action deck to be a
Game Action deck it needs at least 2x Infected Mask cards, 2x Reward cards, 2x Bonus cards and 2x Penalty cards.

1 Like

I keep trying to acquire one of these decks for forever, but every time i try the ebay listing has timed out.

1 Like

What a bummer. Anyhow it’s a fun game and I recommend it.

I’ve been debating just getting tabletop simulator and trying it there.

1 Like

I would say that’s an great alternative for it the added bonus of having TableTop simulator is that you can play online with others meaning it’s easier to find opponents.

Though having the physical cards has a bit of a cool factor to it. However just to try the game I’d say go for Tabletop simulator.

yeah, I’ve done a lot of looking at these.

Though the only person I would play with probably would be with my friends. I don’t play games online with strangers except for things like ROBLOX where I have no choice.

1 Like

Coolio

I remember getting a stack of booster packs for this game. That was in like 2006. Didn’t know the game even existed before then.

Since I never got a starter deck, though, all these cards were pretty much useless since I had no idea what to do with them. Not to mention that I knew of no one who played the game…

Come to think of it, back in 2006 it got hard finding people who cared about Bionicle at all.

1 Like

I actually mad my own Bionicle TCG, and it played fairly well, but I had no way to know for sure, as I had no play testers besides myself.

I am currently working on renovating it to make it easier to play.

1 Like

Cool, I personally found out about this game in 2010 after aquiring just the cards from theme deck 1. Last year I recieved all the starters for my birthday so been able to learn the game since then.

Yeah, mostly the same here, can get my little sister down for a game or two sometimes.

True, the BIONICLE craze were kinda ending after 2005.

Cool, when you’re done with it, I would be really interested in taking a look at it.

Well, I’ve got the basic game figured out.

In the game there are 2 kinds of cards, Charecters, and kanohi.

Character cards are what they sound like. They are your main fighters. they have 5 stats, Elemental energy, mind, strength, defense, and speed. the card also has a small list of archetypes, for example, Teridax’s card has the Brotherhood archetype, which means it plays well with other Brotherhood archetypes. While I haven’t figured out all of the abilities yet, some cards will have some bonuses, for example, the Mata will have bonuses that they apply to each other when in play together.

Kanohi cards are different, they provide various bonuses and effects, or downsides to the character they are attached to. Some cards provide small bonuses across multiple stats, the Faxon for example. Some provide huge bonuses in one area, like the mask of strength. Some provide even bigger bonuses in return for a drawback in other areas, like the Vahi, which gives you 120+ speed, but at the cost of -40 mind. Some provide effects but no bonuses, like the Huna which renders a character invisible, which means they can’t be attacked but can be counterattacked (to even things out, cards like the Rode can circumvent this effect). Some cards give bonuses (or costs) AND effects, such as the Tryna, which brings down Mind by 20, but allows you to revive a dead ally until it, or the character with the Tryna is killed.

The play area looks something like this.

Each player has a 40 card deck, which must contain at least 1 character. Characters can be played from the users hand, onto the playing area where they are played face down. The cards remain face down until they attack or are attacked. Attacks work like this. Each player flips their character over. Both players take the stats, apply the effects of Kanohi, and then compare all of their stats for the two characters, except for Elemental Energy, which is reserved for tie breakers. the losing card and all the Kanohi attached to it are put into the discard pile. To win the game one player must kill at least 12 of their opponents characters (2 benches full) or, the other play must not have anymore characters to play. A player’s turn consists of, drawing a card, playing as many characters as they want (up to the 6 allowed on the playing area) and up to 3 Kanohi, and attacking (or not attacking).

I might add locations, but I haven’t figured out how to best apply them.

1 Like

Sounds neat. It in general reminded me of yugioh and pokemon tcg which isn’t a bad thing since both those card games seem fun.

Thanks, I’ve never played yugioh, but I do play PKMN. I first made this before I started playing PKMN though. A recent source of inspiration has been from a Blox Cards, on ROBLOX of all places. it inspired me to try and make archetypes.

1 Like

No problem dude.

by the way, here’s a sample of Lewa Mata’s card, pre-archetype.

1 Like

Here’s another Deck list too revive this topic:

I call it Pohatu Speedrun

This deck will try to win you the game quickly and efficiently by using every trick in the book. Let your opponents give you cards and win every challenge with twice the results in this if you blink you miss it deck.

Deck list, feat. pictures

Toa card
1x

Game Action deck:
2x

2x

2x

2x

2x

2x

1x

1x

1x

1x

1x

1x

1x

Great mask/Turaga deck
1x

1x

1x

1x

1x

1x

1x

1x

1x

Mission cards you want in the Mission deck:
1x

1x

1x

1x

1x

1x

1x

Great Mask Challenge cards you want in the Challenge deck:
1x

1x

1x

Sideboard:
1x

2x

1x

1x

2x

1x

1x

1x #20 Mission

1x

1x

1x

1x

1x

Anyways feel free to try this deck or discuss about it in genaral.

Nice proxy, would be cool if it had some sort of ability like for example: “When it enters play return a character card to it’s owners hands.”

Like I said, this is pre-archetype, I intend to give him and ability, along the lines of what you mentioned actually, that will play well with other mata cards. I also intend to make a Nuva archetype which focuses on giving bonuses to other nuva.

1 Like

Neat.

Something along the lines of, Pohatu, for example, gets +50 speed, whenever an ally is returned to its owners hand, which would go well with LEwa, who, every turn, can be returned to your hand. And, so that he doesn’t get left behind, Tahu gives a bonus +100 Strength when a card is played from your hand.

1 Like

I just have the three starter decks, no extra cards. but I will try to build a custom deck