The Cat In The Hat live-action movie

The Cat in the Hat (also known as Dr. Seuss’ The Cat in the Hat ) is a 2003 American fantasy comedy film directed by Bo Welch in his directorial debut and written by Alec Berg, David Mandel and Jeff Schaffer. Based on Dr. Seuss1957 book of the same name, it was the second feature-length Dr. Seuss adaptation after How the Grinch Stole Christmas (2000). The film stars Mike Myers in the title role with Dakota Fanning, Spencer Breslin, Alec Baldwin, Kelly Preston, and Amy Hill in supporting roles.

Production on the film began in 1997 with Tim Allen originally cast in the title role. He dropped out due to scheduling conflicts with The Santa Clause 2 , whereupon the role went to Myers. Filming took place in California for three months. While the basic plot parallels that of the book, the film filled out its 82 minutes by adding new subplots and characters significantly different from the original story. David Newman composed the film’s score.

Released on November 21, 2003 in the United States by Universal Pictures, the film grossed $134 million worldwide against a $109 million budget[3] and was panned by critics due to its screenplay, crude humor, lack of faithfulness to the source material and Myers’ portrayal of the title character, although the music and production design received some praise. Seuss’ widow, Audrey Geisel, was also highly critical of the film and decided not to allow any further live-action adaptations of her husband’s works.[4] -Wiki page. I watched it on DVD when i was a kid and my sister, my brother and I still quote the movie like “Your Fireeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed”.

2 Likes

Oh yeah, literally one of the worst movies ever made…

6 Likes

Is it a good adaptation of the book no but is it a good meta surreal comedy yes.

1 Like

I agree, except for the meta jokes, those were great imo

1 Like

I’m glad you’re on my side.

1 Like

I wanna rip my eyeballs out.

3 Likes

I think that’s a bit excessive dude.

1 Like

I recall watching this. I remember very little of the details and am convinced that what I watched was, in fact, a fever dream.

1 Like

Oh yeah, this movie, I’ve heard @HewksDKowlihad is a big fan! :slight_smile:

1 Like

You mean one of the best movies ever made, best.

2 Likes

imma be real with you chief this and the live action grinch freaked me out as a kid

2 Likes

Me too. They were the stuff of nightmares to me.

1 Like

Finally you’ve created a topic about a film I know a thing or two about! I agree with what you’ve said above Rylee, it is far from the original stories content (because of those subplots) but is great as it’s own thing. I remember watching a review ( I think it was diamondbolt?) and he summed it up perfectly that “Mike myers started doing things and they were too afraid to stop him”
Also it is a gold mine for quotes. “Ohhh Yeahhh”

2 Likes

Yeah it is a gold mine of quotes! :grinning:
There’s a great theory on the film that The Theorizer made, you should check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06FCM81lx9g

1 Like