The Classical Music Topic

yooo I love hilary too!

though, my favorite violinist will always be augustin. I saw him play in person once, and it was without a doubt one of if not the best performances I’ve ever seen

everything about his technique was exquisite, and his tone and vibrato wast even better. I feel like a lot of string players tend to lean towards very fast and thin vibrato (I’ve come to refer to this as mosquito vibrato). While this makes the piece seem technically impressive, it isn’t pleasant to listen to. I prefer more drawn-out and warbly styles, which augustin makes perfect use of

3 Likes

Been listening to some holst lately and I really like these two, particularly the second one

3 Likes

been grooving to this as of late

4 Likes

dang those Hungarian dances are real bangers
Brahms knew what he was doing

I don’t want to double post, but I might add that I’ve been having way too much fun trying to “conduct” this piece :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Conduct? Do you lead a band or play piano?

2 Likes

I wish I could say yes. No, I’m not a conductor, I just meant I enjoy pretending to conduct the piece; it’s especially fun with this one since there’s a lot of intense, forte passages. I am a pianist, though. At least I can dream of conducting an orchestra :cry:

5 Likes

For the past few months I’ve been playing from an interesting book comprised of jazz renditions of classical pieces

(In addition to a book of Kuhlau songs)

4 Likes

That’s actually really cool, what pieces have you learnt so far from the classical-jazz book?

3 Likes

Any of those renditions on youtube?

3 Likes

Für Elise, Solfegettio, and Can Can are some of the more well known songs that I remember

Yep

Not super elaborate compositions, but still neat

5 Likes

Although the piano version will always be my favorite, I came across this version on the guitar. This is the piu mosso passage of Vals no. 7 op. 64 composed by Chopin. It’s interesting on the guitar, I guess. It’s modulated from its original key (C# minor) into another (G major). As a pianist, I really like her musicality and sense of rhythm; I wish the full piece was shared, though. I’ll share both the guitar version and the original piano version for comparison.

Here is the guitar version (only piu mosso passage) - played by Paloma Chaprnka

Here is the piano version by one of my favorite pianists, Yuja Wang. She is playing the full piece here.

Edit: You might want to fast forward on the second video to 1:05. That’s when the piu mosso passage is played.

3 Likes

hey wait a sec

I’m friends with paloma

that’s crazy

4 Likes

Cordax are you actually being serious
Do you have proof

4 Likes

no I’m being serious

this is as about much proof as I can share without giving away personal info

4 Likes

Ok ok I believe you
Wow that’s kinda weird
I think we just experienced a 1/1000000000000000 chance here on the boards
Now I’m interested, how do you know each other?

5 Likes

She used to go to my school, and I’ve seen her at a couple of music-related events.

This has to be the craziest thing that’s happened on the boards

4 Likes

I’ve lost my title… :pensive:

8 Likes

I fail to care if it is Christmas or not, I am always in the mood to listen to Tschaikovsky’s Nutcracker.

Also my dnd character’s sidekick, a protege, recently got a Wand of Conducting and so I played this last session:

Humorously, said protege was playing the music to make the music too loud for our party to hear sirens singing at us to kill us.

5 Likes

The highlight my classical piano career in college; Rachmaninoff is always a blast

4 Likes

My 1 year old niece is at that developmental stage where she is starting to hear things and repeat them back to her mother.

Anyways, planning on teaching this part of “the Beautiful Blue Danube” to drive my sister nuts:

7 Likes