The Classical Music Topic

Hello fellow classical music enthusiasts!!! This is my first time posting a topic (as I’m new to TTV), and I’d like to dedicate it to those who appreciate the real style of music: classical. If anyone has any pieces they’d like to share, or scores, they are welcome to post those here.

Sorry but Memes aren’t allowed here. - Spiderus Prime

9 Likes

I’ve been working on czardas recently, and it sounds pretty good but also some of those false harmonic sections make me want to pull my hair out.

3 Likes

Ah! Finally, another violinist that knows what they’re talking about. I know what you mean by those false harmonics, they are pretty impossible. Are you working on the Monti Czardas?

4 Likes

Hello, based department?

Need to brush up on my classical music. Been too long since I’ve listened to a single composer’s entire repertoire.

7 Likes

I knew this take existed but I don’t know if I’ve met anyone with it until now.

My relationship with classical is more as a songwriter, somewhat as a player, than as a listener. I was classically trained on piano, and while I never excelled at it the way the stereotypical classically trained pianist did, I internalized a lot of theory from the sheet music that has been helpful in writing and communicating musical ideas.

As of recently, I’ve been brainstorming implementing classical structures into my usual heavy-electronic style (in particular, writing a waltz for a string quartet and snare drum, then overdriving the tempo so it matches an allegro 6/8 beat.

This was a concept I never learned, though. Can either of you explain the concept?

5 Likes

A regular harmonic is produced by placing a finger (usually fourth) very high up and very lightly on the string. It produces a different, more air-like sound. You can only achieve these at very specific points so it’s hard to play any melody just using regular harmonics. With false harmonics, you can get the same sound as a regular one but with all the notes in a given scale available to you. This is achieved by placing the first finger down solidly and then the fourth finger a perfect fourth up on the same string, with the same amount of pressure as the regular harmonic. You can get other notes by shifting up or going on another string.

4 Likes

Ah, so it’s the equivalent of an artificial harmonic on a guitar. (“natural harmonic” is what I would call “true harmonic”, and I have written a few melodies just using natural harmonics before.)

5 Likes

I stumbled upon this work recently, and I am surprised to say it turned out to be one of my favorite piano concertos of all time. Just listen to the first movement, (ends around 3:32) the cadenza with the octaves makes me want to cry, and tell me what you think.

3 Likes

carti better

1 Like

I am a big fan of Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky. One of Europe’s finest composers and IMO Russia’s greatest artist in all of it’s history.

5 Likes

I couldn’t agree more. Do you have a favorite work of his?

4 Likes

Hard for me to pick. I’d have to relisten to some of his songs before I can do that.

On the top of my head I have a softspot for 1812 overture. Especially the live cannons. Saw a live performance of that with the cannons. It’s powerful.

5 Likes

My parents put me to sleep as a baby with Dvorak’s New World Symphony.

I can now only process information as huge dramatic battles.

7 Likes

We need more music that utilizes military weaponry to keep time

6 Likes

That sounds amazing. I now need to see music played with artillery in the orchestra.

2 Likes

I’m preparing for a competition this weekend, and I must admit I’m really nervous. Even though I’ve practiced the music a bajillion times, I still feel unprepared. Whenever I play for an audience or judges, my hands always shake, and I don’t play to my full potential. I breathe deeply and try to calm myself down, but it doesn’t really work. Does anyone experience this or have any solutions that might work?

Also, I just started working on the Mozart Minuet in D Minor. I don’t follow the Suzuki Method, but I believe it to be commonly known in the Suzuki Book 7. @Cordax, are you familiar with this piece?

5 Likes

I really should listen to more classical stuff

4 Likes

It’s Chopin’s birthday!!! :partying_face:
Chopin is my favorite composer, (besides Mozart, obviously), so to celebrate his birthday I’ve compiled a list of his greatest and most favorable works. If you watch them all, I’ll give you a cookie. :cookie:

7 Likes

While I do prefer rock-and-roll music, classical music is infinitely better than whatever is peddled as music these days. I played a lot of classical music on the piano a few years ago, my favorite was always Mozart because of the recognizable “main theme.” I think my favorite Mozart piece is called “Rage Over a Lost Penny” but I may be confusing it with something else.

I’d also like to point out how close the beginning of Bohemian Rhapsody is to being classical music… playing it on the piano really sells it as well.

5 Likes

I admit that this topic hasn’t been getting as many posts as I thought it would.
Whatever. So be it.
However, I thought I might share a really great interpretation of Mendelssohn’s violin concerto in E minor. Hilary has always been one of my favorite violinists, along with Itzhak Perlman and Jascha Heifetz.
I believe she adds a lot of emotion, musicality, and amazing clarity despite the piece’s fast tempo. Intonation, sound quality and technique are also some of the things I’ve noticed that are polished to a high degree.
Watch it and tell me what you think. Remember, any musicians or non musicians can post new scores, pieces, or simply interpretations they find inspiring as well. I’d love to hear them. :slight_smile:

3 Likes