The Creator: Artakha

This is my submission for the Artakha Art Contest. I was heavily inspired by the original build’s already present mask design done by KhingK. I took the most outstanding details from the build and interpreted it in my own way, adding runes on the grey-green armor sections. I really liked the crown design on his initial mask, so I wanted to implement something similar to my own illustration of the mask while also adding mild references to the Great Spirit stone from the three side divots and line running down the center of the mask; additionally he was referenced to be able to be rather imposing in his few appearances, and with his mask representing multiple cultures in universe it was styled to reflect elements akin to the Avohkii and Kraahkan for the contrast of the two natures of the universe, especially as he’d likely have been the crafter of the Kraahkan as well. I also wanted his gold mask to resemble the legendary masks that already exists in universe, as all depicted examples from the Toa Mata to the Avohkii, to the Vahi, and so on have all been depicted in gold so I decided to maintain this theme to the drawing to help make it seem more cohesive. I also referenced the activated Avohkii for the iridescent effects that I layered on the mask to give it a very unique appearance.

For his physique, I decided to stick with the more imposing figure mention and acknowledge him, despite being a creator character, he still had to win his Mask from a battle with Karzahni and I felt it was important to reflect that history in a more tattered cape and warrior capable sort of feel. For the runes I referred to the Toa Mata’s elemental symbols and adapted them to give a unique and more ancient feel to his armor. For the background i was heavily inspired by The Mask Maker Challenge concept art background and incorporated aspects of his forge into the image. I hope you all enjoy my piece. Good luck to all contestants!
Here is a little sketch bonus, I hope you all enjoy it!

45 Likes

This art style is amazing man, it gave me chills looking at it

2 Likes

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it ^^

1 Like

Like they said, amazing style! Also this may come across as an odd comment, but something about your mask design reminds me a lot of the mental image I had of Artakha when I was much younger. I mean that in a good way. I think because the Karzahni set was my only reference point for Artakha at the time, I imagined him having a similar forward-angled, sharp mask shape. This gives me that vibe, and it’s really cool!

1 Like

ahh I am glad you find it so! This comment made my night hahaha :smile:
I’m glad you liked it!

The mask reminds me of the characters from the mobile game Infinity Blade. I really enjoy that you took some inspiration from my mask. Lovely artwork!

3 Likes

Thank you! and infinity blade looks really cool omg, I love the character designs! I might look into it a bit further. Thank you for mentioning it!

1 Like

A monochromatic comic panel too! And it looks beautiful!

1 Like

Thank you! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

OH MY GOSH YES! I hadnt placed that, but you’re so right. Love seeing infinity blade references in the wild

1 Like

I’ve gotta step up my game for next contest’s submission! You’ve really inspired me!

1 Like

Just saw your submission, and your game is already super good! I love it a lot ^^
I’m glad I was able to inspire you! You have inspired me too after seeing your submission :smile:

1 Like

Yes! A cycle of inspiring each other - this is the nature of creation.

Just as Artakha guided those under him and brought them together, so too has he brought us together to inspire us in the light of creation! It’s quite the meta contest, trying to create the image of the embodiment of creation, don’t you think?

In any case, I look forward to seeing what you’ll create in the future! Good luck to us both!

1 Like

Cool mask! It Looks very lord of the rings and almost goat-like.

2 Likes

Very alien. I like it.

1 Like

Thank you! :smile: