The DDoSruption Update

Credits to @Nyran for the name. So you might have noticed that our forums have been down recently. I thought you guys should know what went on. Here's what happened, day by day:

On Monday night, our service provider shut us down because our docklet was apparently carrying out a DDoS attack on another server.

On Tuesday, we tried recovering the data, but we realized we didn't have the latest backup. The latest we had was from September 9th. We planned to just restore from there.

On Wednesday, we manage to convince our service provider to turn our backup back on so that we could create a backup and download it. They did, but they cut us off mid-download because they detected more flooding from our account.

On Thursday, I spent all day trying to get that created backup off that corrupted docklet. It was on a recovery ISO, meaning that I couldn't use traditional transfer methods. I finally managed to transfer the data to another Linux server and downloaded it to there.

On Friday, we decided to move to a different service provider, but our backup was on a different version from their current software and they had to do a lot of trickery in order to get it to work.

Finally, today, Saturday, everything managed to work and the forums are back online!

It's been a very long and stressful week, but fortunately we are back in action! Thanks for sticking it out, guys! I hope things will be looking up from here!

19 Likes

And the images are back!

1 Like

Our new service provider is spectacular, like seriously these guys are great.

7 Likes

Thank Mata Nui! I nearly lost my mind.
Thanks Kahi!

2 Likes

So glad to be back! You guys are the best!

2 Likes

Rejoice!

1 Like

Quite the terribawful turn of events; there was a point where I was quite fearful that we would have to lose all of our data. Thankfully, that did not come to pass.

Ceeeeeeelebrate good times, come on!

-Mesonak

7 Likes

I'm just glad we have a place to discuss everything again smiley. I've had my bionicle hype pent up for a week!

But seriously, I know Kahi went through a lot of work and stress this week, so props to him smile

4 Likes

another thing we should thank nyran is for the cliffhorse club skype
that is probs what saved us, heck kahi even used it for asking if a new provider was better
nyran saved us
we must hail him
for he is the herald of the seventh toa

5 Likes

Ya know, it's kinda crazy how a week can both go so slowly, and so fast. I never realized how much these boards meant to me until we lost them for a week. So thanks guys for doing your best! smile

WAIT

OLD EMOTES ARE BACK

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

6 Likes

stuck_out_tongue
I NEVER KNEW HOW MUCH I LOVED THIS EMOTE
I MISSED YOU

1 Like

I like to think that the CHC Skype has been beneficial in a few ways.

Not only have we been kept up-to-date on progress by our pal Kahi, but also we've managed to maintain a location to talk to and communicate while the Boards be down.

I imagine without it, many of us would've fared worse, and paranoia and such would've kicked in. Maybe to the extent that some believe that the Boards would never come back, and maybe some would go back to believing that the Boards were just too good to be true.

Or maybe I'm just full of it. But anyway, it's stuff like this that really truly makes me want the Cliffhorse Club group to become far more expansive than it is now! My goal is for all normal members to be a part of it!

It'd also give us a place to talk and chat, so we wouldn't need to make such short/spammy/off-topic posts on the boards. But I guess we have The PM System for that.

Meh, just glad to see everything back. Good work guys, so sorry to know all the hell it must've been through getting everything operational.

4 Likes

YES! It has returned, and right on time too because today is my Birthday. It's good to hear and I hope everything will go well after this unfortunate incident.

1 Like

THE BOARDS ARE BACK IN TOWN! Praise Mata Nui!

1 Like

I would make a dang it Kahi joke, but given everything that happened, I won't. Nice job getting everything in order TTV.

4 Likes

What's this "CHC Skype" thing?

The Cliffhorse Club. I made a topic about it in Advertising.

Shoot midknightnyran a contact request there and I'll be happy to add you. ^^

It's a Skype group made up of a few members of the Metru Nui Building Crew.

Ah. Thanks for clarifying. I was just curious what it was.