The Elder Scrolls

We already have a Skyrim topic, but let us not forget the rest of the series! I, myself, have become something of a Morrowind junkie over the past year or so, and Oblivion is pretty neat too. What are everyone else’s thoughts? Has anyone played any of the older games? Discuss!

9 Likes

I played a bit of Daggerfall.

2 Likes

Neat! I really want to try that one, but I’m a bit intimidated by how old/gigantic/complicated to learn/buggy it is. My current plan is to wait for the DaggerXL engine, which will modernize it considerably, to come out.

I’ve always wanted to play Morrowind, and I loved Skyrim.

3 Likes

I started with Skyrim, but I ended up liking Morrowind even more. The world is better-conceived: there are multiple political, ethnic, and religious groups, and they all have different relationships with/opinions on all of the others. That gives it a kind of verisimilitude the other games in the series don’t have (though Skyrim comes closest). It also has 12 years worth of mods, many of which are awesome. Plus, the line between good and evil is not as clear as it is in Skyrim: everyone is imperfect, but no one is completely evil (even the main villain). This forces you to decide for yourself who to align with (though, sadly, they don’t let you go over to the dark side and join the bad guy–though there are mods that let you). It’s not for everyone, though–it’s slow-paced and the interface is old-fashioned, and it’s fairly hard at low levels (though it gets absurdly easy after awhile). But if you can make it past that, you’re in for a treat.

2 Likes

Oblivion, IMO, is the best of the games. Daggerfall was fun, but mostly because of all the ways you could exploit or break it. Morrowind I own, haven’t played it much yet. Arena I still haven’t left the first dungeon cause the controls are god awful, and Skyrim, it was fun, but it strayed too far from the original system.

ESO: Tries to hard to be Skyrim online. Still fun, by far but not the best game.

Oblivion is really good, though I’ve only played 60 or so hours thus far (ha, “only”). It seems to have the most creative quests in the series. I strongly recommend giving Morrowind a go (see my rant above). It also lets you exploit/break it in various creative ways, possibly moreso than Daggerfall (for example, you can make a potion that lets you jump across the entire island in one leap). I agree about Skyrim, though I thought it had a more interesting world than Oblivion, because there were more large-scale conflicts, like the civil war and the ban on Talos worship.

I tried one of the last ESO betas and had a similar impression. The thing that stood out the most for me was that it seems as if it’s a single-player game that just happens to have a bunch of other players in it, if that makes sense. It was kinda weird.
Another of ESO’s sins (may not make sense, depending how much you know about the lore): Elder Scroll of Chim | Elder Scrolls | Fandom

2 Likes

My favourite video game franchise! :stuck_out_tongue:

Also, i wanna hear your opinions:
Where should Elder Scrolls 6 be?
For myself I suggest Valenwood + Elsweyr or Hammerfell + High rock

2 Likes

Michael Kirkbride (one of the writers for the series) has pretty much confirmed that there won’t be a game set in Elweyr (a nation of cats is too alien for a mainstream audience), unfortunately. Hammerfell + High Rock is Daggerfall, so they may not want to do that again. If they do more than one province, I’d say Summerset Isles + Valenwood or Summerset + Hammerfell. Summerset b/c the Thalmor storyline from Skyrim needs finishing; either Hammerfell or Valenwood for a province the Thalmor have a presence in, but isn’t exclusively Altmeri.

1 Like

I disagree. Hammerfell/High Rock in Daggerfall was randomly generated, and many of the devs expressed interest in building them legitimately. As well, they are very close to Skyrim and have similar geography (though Hammerfell less so), and it so would make sense to put them there from a marketing standpoint, in the interest in keeping the newer fans. I can see them putting the next game in the Summerset Isle and some other areas of the Dominion, however.

Or perhaps they’ll return of to Cyrodil with some more areas from other provinces in the interest of the second Great War, though I’d sooner have them do this for seven, with them putting it elsewhere for more buildup to the second Great War.

1 Like

Hm, I didn’t know that the devs had said that. I guess it would make sense to put them there from a marketing standpoint, but I still think Summerset Isles/Dominion territory is they way to go as far as the story is concerned.

That could work for the 2nd Great War. Though, tbh, if they do Cyrodiil again, I’d like it to be the pre-Tiber Septim version that was a jungle.

1 Like

ESO from a lore standpoint should’ve been like that but “screw lore we want PvP!”

I hated ESO from a Lore standpoint.

2 Likes

So, if no Elsweyr, then Black Marsh is dead too.
And why I think Hammerfell + High rock would work, ‘cause there are a lot of TES fans, that joined the Franchise with Morrowind or Oblivion. And in the era of reboots and remakes, i see potential for the game takin’ place there.
Tho’ i would like valenwood + Summerset more, beacuase of the story. Theres a lot of potential there lorewise.
And for the come back to Cyrodiil, it would be cool, to get back in time. Maybe a time travellin’ questline of some sorts.
Or as you guys said, we could just get a complete game in the pre-Tiber septim era.
And Akaviir. But that’s kinda dead too, 'cause it would be too different.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s really a shame things like Black Marsh and Akavir are out of the question because they’re too unusual. Morrowind could never get made today because of that.
NO! DON’T REBOOT TES! Oh, that’s not what you meant. :stuck_out_tongue: Thinking about it more, a Hammerfell/High Rock game could work, especially since we know the Redguards are having issues w/ the Thalmor as of Skyrim.
I really like the time travel idea for Cyrodiil. Maybe something like that one part of the Vaermina quest in Skyrim.

3 Likes

It is rumored that TES 6 will take place in Argonia (Black Marsh). I would find that interesting.

I would really enjoy that, though. The more that I think about it, the more I believe a game covering the Summerset Isles, Pyandonea, and maybe parts of Valenwood would be amazing. You could actually use boats (ahem Skyrim) and the majority of the characters could be Elves. Also, It could fulfill my dreams of fighting sea serpents in an Elder Scrolls games…

1 Like

Those rumors about Black Marsh are kinda fishy methinks. Same problem Elsweyr has: too bizarre/alien. But it would be cool if they did decide to do that.

#Random, unrelated update a month later!

I was at my library’s book sale today, and look what I found!

Better yet, it was still sealed! Within the box, I found the item I was really looking for (since I already own the game):

This is going on my wall next to my Bionicle posters.

5 Likes

REVIVE

I was thinking about it, and an Elder Scrolls movie (if done correctly) could be really successful.

1 Like

One time I toyed with the idea of condensing Morrowind’s plot into a four-hour movie. If it worked, it would be like the fantasy equivalent of Lawrence of Arabia. Of course, that’s a big “if.” :stuck_out_tongue:

Speaking a bit more realistically, some of the in-game book series could be good movies, or at least starting points for movies. I think telling a “side” story that still has high stakes (so maybe something involving a Daedric Prince, or the Emperor) would be the way to go if you wanted an original story.

1 Like

While a movie based on the Elder Scrolls would be cool, I would have loved to see a TV series based on The Great War. I would imagine that would be a bit Game of Thrones-esque, but it could have been really awesome.

1 Like

So uh

I kinda just bought Skyrim Legendary Edition

two minutes ago

It’s downloading now

5 Likes