The False Death (and Return?) of LEGO Digital Designer

Sadly, LEGO Digital Designer (LDD for short) will not receive anymore updates. This means current bugs will still be in the system and new pieces won’t be added.

If you want to learn more, check out this Brickset article.
update

Welp, that statement was false:

You can read more about this at The Brick Fan.

11 Likes

RIP in Pieces LDD

No!!!

I will never MoC with digital 2015 Bonkle parts… i cry

3 Likes

Adios, comrade.

Well that’s unfortunate, I was really hoping they’d update it with G2 parts. Oh well.

welp, time to Check out LDraw

Darn…I was really looking forward to the Bionicle parts…oh well, it’s still good for bricks I guess.

I’m pretty dismayed by this news, but it’s something I’ve seen coming for a pretty long time so I had some extra time to brace myself. Regardless, it doesn’t make it any less disappointing.

Over the years, LDD has been one of my favorite tools to use. It’s an amazing piece of software and I really appreciated how they continued to add pieces to it on a semi-regular basis, always managing to even sneak in a few parts from BIONICLE G1 every update. I’ve made a ton of MoCs on it over the years, and I really enjoyed the service. It’s a shame it’s no longer being updated. :frowning:

-Mesonak

9 Likes

I thought it was already dead.

Nevermind I guess.

4 Likes

Adios ldd

1 Like

LDD is great but for what it is currently, it does feel a little limited.

That and I’m really salty about no more updates for meh bonkles.

3 Likes

IMO i don’t care LDD sucks.

1 Like

Please forgive me for making a fuss, but I need to say this.

For those of you who do not know; I am an individual diagnosed with a variation of Muscular Dystrophy. A disease that causes me to gradually lose muscle strength/use over time. I’m already confined to a wheelchair and require CONSTANT assistance 24/7. Lego has always had my interest because it was a way to express myself creatively. I used to build using actual Lego parts, I reached a point where I no longer could physically interact with them. I played the Lego games, I can barely hold a controller let alone use it. LDD became my go-to method of Lego interaction, so I take this personally. THIS to me, isn’t just a “Business Decision”, it’s an unfair assault against DISABLED Lego fans.

Why should I have to go install a program that:
A- has an interface that is (QUITE HONESTLY) unfriendly to newcomers.
B- isn’t even run by Lego.

Lego Worlds came out just last year, and has compatibility with LDD. LDD was used to create The Lego Movie assets. LDD was used to construct elements for the Minifigures Online game. Images from LDD are allowed to be posted on Lego.com in the galleries. LDD is even used to create new sets on Lego Ideas! AND YOU WANT TO LIMIT THAT!?

If it’s a matter of money, I’m willing to put up with buying the program. But don’t alienate it’s users!

Somebody needs to start a movement to get Lego to change their minds about this.

7 Likes

Heh, never thought about it this way. Most of my experience with LDD has been in the way of cruddy MOCs made by people who don’t care to render or even pose their MOCs. Didn’t think that it could be used to assist people that can’t physically build with LEGO.

Still, I’m going to be the heel and say that I will probably enjoy seeing LDD go. People like yourself that have a legitimate reason to use digital tools do have the option of fan-made tools, regardless of if you’re opposed to them at the moment. The far more common case of LDD uses to make eyesore creations will hopefully diminish as LDD is slowly delisted and then dies out altogether, and slightly improve the overall quality of life for most online FOLs.

3 Likes

aw man this sucks, could really use some of the new parts in it :frowning:

2 Likes

About rendering LDD Models; You do realize that not all computers CAN render graphics that well. (I always have to DECREASE the graphics on SWTOR when I play it for example.)

@Plurallvitch - THERE WAS AN UPDATE:

"I hope this will help clarify a bit of the confusion and misunderstanding from our end regarding LDD. TLG will remain committed to digital building going forward, in regards to LDD, this means that we will continue to support the current functionality.

“We will not be doing automatic updates on elements, however elements will continue to be added from time to time. Unfortunately we cannot ensure that all elements are made available. I can see that the message has spread widely in the community since our original statement and I hope that you will assist us in spreading this message as well. Thank you!”

6 Likes

Edited Title and Description

2 Likes

HALLELUJAH! Yes!

1 Like

Hooray, ldd’s back in black. And hey, I posted this just before it got closed.

1 Like