The First: MOC Contest Results (BIONICLE Canon Contest #1)

Oh no no, go further down the playlist. They had such good content, brickfilms and the like.

They didn’t stifle any creativity though. The entry given is creative in it’s own right. Someone built it with their own techniques. Hoseryx and the current winner are equally creative. It is just that one lost. Actually, dozens others have lost by the power of the vote.

Him saying that creativity is being stifled is in itself a strawman.

8 Likes

That makes sense, but again, it seems he’s saying that by Bendryx losing due to (in his eyes) rigging by the moderators, that they are stifling creativity. If this were true, I’d argue that would be stifling creativity, wouldn’t you?
Again, not my own views on the matter. Playing Devil’s Advocate sorta.
@keiththelegokid Yes, it seems pretty good. But why did they stop making all of it? Seems like it’d garner a good audience today.

No. Because everyone still built really great MOCs in the end, no matter what won. If anything, even if the vote was rigged, this contest bloomed creativity out of the community that has not been seen in some time.

6 Likes

Well, that is true. I suppose the creativity of the entire contest would remain unstifled.
Seriously, a lot of the art that has come from this was amazing. I do wish it was less controversial and I hope the next contest is better designed to accommodate certain factors, but it was very creative all around in my eyes at least.

3 Likes

No idea, they don’t make much bionicle content anymore, mostly just podcasts that garner maybe ten views…pity they have at least a thousand subs last time I checked.

I just want to post to give special recognition to @Toa_Cyrus for my favorite post during this whole ordeal

I want to chisel that on a stone tablet

21 Likes

I want to frame this entire thread, but that post will forever hold a special place in my heart.

Same with all of @Keplers :wink: Can’t let you forget this day, mate.

10 Likes

To join the devil’s advocate train (and torture a few metaphors)

In this contest, we Thad 126 entries that followed the ‘rules’ of what makes a good moc. They were different, but they were all the same thing, meeting the same standards and following the same unspoken rules.

Then you have hoseryx, which breaks all the rules. By this definition, it is the most creative – nay, the only creative entry. It is an ugly pink and purple horse in a sea of beatiful, unique white, brown, and black thoroughbreds – they may be better horses, but this one grabs your attention. Naturally, it draws everyone’s attention, due to this creativity, and refusing to let it win stifles that creativity. You win with another “good” moc that follows the rules.

Again, not my thoughts.

4 Likes

I hope in the future people don’t get so angry at each other when it comes to this sort of thing. I really didn’t like Hoseryx as an canon creation but some people actually went along with the concept and made some great artist’s renditions. If anything else, it’s a fun meme that hopefully won’t become overused.

Anyways, congrats to our new Helryx, here’s a drawing of Hoseryx that I preemptively drew thinking that she would win. As much as I don’t want her to be canon, she’s an honorary winner in my book.

20 Likes

To also play devil’s advocate, though… Why does rule breaking equate to creativity? You can be creative when given a set of rules. Creativity is not correlated with breaking the boundaries, that is only one aspect of what it can be. The term you’re looking more for is “revolution”.

15 Likes

@Keplers is a good person, they were very respectful all thread.

Also yes, that post was very strange, but I liked its eloquence.
@keiththelegokid Sadly that has seemed to happen to a lot of youtube channels I used to enjoy, especially machinima channels.

@Biggums Excellent drawing. Personally, she won in my heart and I am a bit inclined to still investigate given the lack of voter list, but overall I have great respect for the moderators who stomached everything here, and I am glad that this is all over. Regardless of anything else, the creations submitted were nice and the winner still looks good, and the creative works made from the contest were amazing.

6 Likes

This is true. I expected the hose to win. I don’t 100% trust the data either, but I understand why they won’t release the info.

If anything, new fans should join.

Everyone gatekeeps from each other, I think. I saw someone literally talking about you and your MOC on /biog/ today. Everyone is biased, but that’s what voting is.

Agreed, this was a great contest

3 Likes

Exactly. Which is why I find some of these calls of “creative stifling” to be a foul cry.

7 Likes

Some stuff about it being a CCBS Ignika build I believe. I personally didn’t mind your build, though I preferred Bendryx and Doubles (and Cheezys).
But yeah, everyone is biased at the end. Nothing to be done about it now, really.

1 Like

Welp, the result has been interesting for sure. I personally hoped for #5, but even though things didn’t turn out that way, I can still happily get behind #2’s success. Congrats to the creator!

And as I have previously promised, I intend to do some art of my own, showcasing #5 and why I loved it, even if it didn’t ultimately survive to the end.

16 Likes

Well, I’m pleasently surprised. #2 certainly wasn’t my ideal pick, but I’m happy for anything that doesn’t make her look like a comic relief character at this point. Hope the art round giver her a cool mask though; I don’t really see her in a Pakari.

10 Likes

Despite the turbulence to reach this stage of voting, I’m really impressed how involved the community became for an established character’s visualization.

From my perspective, I was not familiar with this character outside of fan interpretations over the years, but I still tried to vote based on the story descriptions. I don’t mind that they were vague as it offered many unique models. And there was good spirit and good sportsmanship shared among some entries as well.

That said, not only is there a round of applause for 126 individual creators stepping up to make these models, but all of the staff and moderators for formulating the brackets, monitoring activities, and giving everyone a place for representation. Tireless hours of reading and regulating and negotiating. As a first canon contest in a while, I understand that trouble was bound to happen, and I wish the best on changes going forward between the staff and the participants in subsequent voting.

MOC building and sharing is one form of camaraderie, but another form that everyone (myself included) should retain is civil discussion and treatment of other members as equals. Regardless of knowledge or experience in Bionicle, we all are excited to see it grow in this privileged opportunity.

Looking forward to the artwork and mask portions! :slight_smile:

• Maniac4Bricks
14 Likes

Well, after reluctantly making my peace with Hoseryx yesterday, this sure comes as a relief.

I actually didn’t much care for #2 either, initially, but it really grew on me. The use of Slizer & Roborider parts for the first Toa is such a delightful touch on a meta-level.

6 Likes

Now mods, please, get some rest. You’ve been worked ragged and you deserve it.

20 Likes