The First: MOC Contest Results (BIONICLE Canon Contest #1)

wish this debate could be had irl and not online because I would really like someone to look me straight in the face and tell me that Hoseryx is not, and should not be taken as, a joke…
but regardless of how much of a joke Bendyryx is, I don’t think it’s important. The better question is whether it’s fit for the Bionicle canon/up to the standards and expectations of the Bionicle universe

10 Likes

I generally agree with your suggestions, except number 2, I agree Toa/Matoran/Turaga MOCs should have a mata/metru head, but not necessarilly all kanohi wearing character, for example Lariska’s species are suposed to be able to wear Kanohi although I wouldn’t say this MOC should have a metru/mata head, like Vortixx such as Roodaka, it’s canon that they can use and wear kanohi but set wise they can’t.
All of that said, great suggestions overall!

2 Likes

Also, that would basically invalidate being able to use Hero Factory/glatorian helmets and G2 masks

4 Likes

Oh yeah, I more meant Toa and Artakha. Lariska would have a different head design, but luckily she chooses not to wear Kanohi so it’s not a problem for her anyway.

2 Likes

Respectfully, I don’t think this is a good idea. Most G2 masks fit with G1 aesthetics rather well, and they offer an opportunity to give characters masks not worn by anyone in the original canon. They can also be assigned any power for the most part, because most of them were elemental.

If the issue is about being able to switch the head out for a G1 mask if you wish, there are generally a ton of ways to go about modifying the head/neck to allow for a different head. Not foolproof, I’ll admit, but I think the benefits of potentially allowing a wider range of faces outweigh the cons.

4 Likes

Well, yeah. The final designs aren’t going to have glatorian helmets or G2 masks, so if you’re gonna use a placeholder you may as well use a head that can facilitate the final mask design.

Edit: It’s also good if the MOC can wear other kanohi, since that’s a thing Toa can do.

The final mask could very well go on any type of head that is used for the MOC, assuming the mask is tailored to the chosen head which it probably would be

4 Likes

I’d disagree with you on point 2. For example, I was not a fan of entry 5 in the last poll. Not even going into My opinion about the general build, a big critique of mine was that it didn’t feel like a Toa. Part of this was the head aspect, as I couldn’t see a reasonable way for a Kanohi to work with it. To me it felt more like a Vortixx head or something like that, especially when one of the quotes about Helryx was that Takanuva and Iruini immediately knew she was a Toa.

1 Like

Ok, so people are up in arms about the pools right especially on the pro bendy side. I personally believe this result could have helped those supporters come across better, if they just stayed quiet or at least in god favor commended the winner rather than starting intensive arguing against TTVs vetting process. Had they not caused an ordeal and instating the mentality of that the anti bendy voters was overly vocal so we are allowed to do this too.

People on the pro bendy side had a chance to show off that they weren’t sore losers and in general give that “side” a better rep but they scuandered it by conspiracy against the organizers, good job everyone.

10 Likes

So can voters.

Yes, any addition to Bionicle canon completely upsets preconceptions of what does and doesn’t exist within a certain. And the answer to your question is, whatever Greg wants to. No amount of votes is going to make Greg add something to canon, only determine what he is presented.

Have any of those people reached out to you, or anyone else, to discuss how confused and betrayed they are? Because if not, I’m not entertaining this particular argument.

Yes, but Greg has given TTV the green light to host the contest on their site, following their rules, however they want to manage it. You want to vote in the contest? Comply with TTV. Greg says so.

I don’t think you understand. There are voters who deliberately made artificial accounts with dummy emails in order to influence almost all - not one, almost all entries fraudulently. TTV has to be extra rigorous in their cleansing of fake accounts because there are so many of them.

And then they also have to deal with 50+ people pinging them and telling them how big of liars they are for the duration of the contest.

Then please tell me, what are the two options and what would the third be were it to exist?

How can you be so sure TTV is lying? What if the truth is that there were people trying to manipulate the contest, and TTV is working not only to protect their integrity but ensure the contest gets an actual winner?

12 Likes

Are you defending The Council and their vice grip on the Bionicle Canon?

7 Likes

I was around when RSG formed the council. I knew roughly who was in it long before the screenshot. As a method for cross communication between different major players in the community, it serves that purpose, but that isn’t why it was made.

So no, I’m not defending the council. I’m defending TTV to an extent. Not to fight their battle for them, but to challenge what seems like a ridiculous argument.

12 Likes

im making fun of the council meme dont worry

6 Likes

Yeah I’m just taking the opportunity to elaborate my stance on it so I don’t have to explain later

Good taste in music

7 Likes

I don’t see a need for these rules, honestly. The first seems too limiting when it’s already been established that G2 and system pieces are fair game, and many builder’s techniques rely on use of those parts. IMO, shaping being consistent with G1 is a good idea, but the methods used to achieve that should be open. Similarly, this second rule seems completely unnecessary, (except to block MOCs like #5) and IMO is more restrictive to creativity than anything, as it would disallow similar efforts to create custom mask sculpts that may be more fitting than any official or shapeways masks currently available. In general, these feel far too purist for me to get behind.

(And aside from the Nexo Knights Shield, Hoseryx was entirely G1-compliant in parts usage anyway, so I really don’t see what these rules have to do with the current issue or improving things anyway, outside of pushing an unrelated vendetta against ‘impure’ MOCs)

This I very much do agree with, though.

Structural integrity is definitely important, but I think part availability isn’t really necessary. Everyone’s collections are inherently going to be different, and trying to enforce a MOC having only pieces everyone is sure to have will leave you with a very limited pool of parts to work with indeed. I know some people wanted to build whatever the winning MoC was, and more power to them, but the majority of people probably aren’t, so cutting things down so drastically for just those few (when they’d likely turn to Bricklink and Shapeways to get the pieces they need, if they’re truly set on building the winner) strikes me as a bad and fairly shortsighted idea.

12 Likes

A distinction would have to be made between “looks G1” and “is G1”, for the sake of G2/certain HF masks and armor pieces/weapons. And for certain aesthetics a smoother approach could work in some places. Otherwise we’d be banning the use of Nuva shoulders (not that a ban on Nuva shoulders would be necessarily bad…)

I’d dial this back to “wear what could look like a Mask”, for the sake of people who only have, say, Breakout-era HF heads or G2 masks.

A good idea in theory, but I’m sure the implementation would be difficult.

Do the message boards support Two-Factor Authentication of some kind?

6 Likes

Wow, having complete whiplash from this result. Reading the post, I took it very slowly, one paragraph at a time, and I was sure, I was 100% positive, it was going to be Hoseryx. So when I got to the results, and saw that Entry 2 was the winner, I nearly laughed from relief (not maliciously. Purely from relief). To have it be not Hoseryx, especially after all the days of anger and hostility (even on my own part, albeit more in my head than (hopefully) in my responses) and cynical certainty, this result was what I thought to be basically impossible. I’m still sad that Du’s Helryx didn’t make it to this last round of votes, but Double’s Helryx was genuinely one that hoped would make it, even disregarding the whole “a vote not for Entry 2 is a vote for Hoseryx” debacle.

All that said, congratulations to all the contestants, and a special congratulations to Double for being the winner. I’m looking forward to the art portions of this contest, and to the rest of the canonization contests going forward. Hope to see you there!

8 Likes

Fella you’re mistaking capitalism with imperialism. They’re two vastly different concepts. No one is being enslaved or physically conquered by guns and being forced into an unwanted government.

This is nothing compared to Nazi Germany, British India, Aparthied, and The Belgian Congo. If you think so then you’re being absolutely insane.

12 Likes

Congrats to Double:)

Oh man, art contest and Artakha contest get me so excited!

8 Likes

People didn’t vote for #5 or the other because they don’t have that “bionicle feel”. Hello, Helryx had armor and a kanohi that Takanuva couldn’t recognize. She’s not supposed to look like a traditional bionicle character so her using ccbs or system makes perfect sense. I also do not think that he would have trouble recognizing someone who looks like a blue pohatu with the same exact kanohi he used to wear

3 Likes