The Gearbox Podcast

I should’ve probably mention it is supposed to work like that… sometimes it doesn’t… but technically those one word responses are spam.

I woke up this morning to all this mess so I’m gonna say a few words. I can not speak for Tyrigsus or Shadowgear6335 here, so I’ll only be speaking for myself and what I had said, not the other two. Take it for what you will.

My apologies for anyone who took offense to those comments. I understand how some may have found them offensive and took them personally, however that was not my intent. I have, in fact, received far more criticism on my MOCs and posts on this site. Is that a bad thing? Not always. Sometimes the arguments are totally founded and have good intentions, and sometimes I’ll post a MOC here only for it to be completely torn to shreds, leaving me feeling pretty horrible about my creation.

Do understand that this site has left me feeling bitter towards it for that reason, as have other sites such as Deviantart or Tumblr or Instagram. This is not unique to TTV. This is something that happens to everyone. However, I never meant for it to come off as “every time I post”. That is simply, untrue. For example, my latest post Endeavor received much praise, and a lot of well founded constructive criticism, which I am in agreeance with.

I myself do not like it when others stereotype entire groups of people, Which is why when I said:

“But the people who are on their message boards are just, so rude sometimes. like, ‘hi, nice to meet you, glad you hate me immediately.’”

I intentionally used the term “sometimes”. I know very well not everyone has greeted me such a way, and I never will make the claim that everyone has greeted me in such a way just because a select few actually have.

the TLDR of it is, I had no intentions of stereotyping the entire group, or insulting anyone in particular. I apologize to anyone who took what I said personally, and hope you can understand that it was simply not my intention. There is nothing to be gained from spreading ill will of other people, and I hope you can forgive me had you been personally offended by what I said. I should have thought about my wording before speaking as that statement was taken as insult by many, and I completely see, and understand how and why it was.

That being said, I do plan to continue MOCing, building, and posting as I always have, and I look forward to continuing to hear your feedback in the future.

Have a good one, everyone.

11 Likes

Thank you for clearing majority of the issue up, the community does get negative/off-topic at time.
I didn’t find myself too offended, but remember that not everyone is a “mocing god” since theirs at least 1 or more cons that sometimes users don’t pointed out.

and sometimes someone can turn true of false in the community, but you dont fall towards that

3 Likes

I find the issue isn’t that people provide criticism so much as about what they criticize. Usually it’s the small, tiny errors that get pointed out and the way they’re phrased don’t let the creator down to softly. Art is subjective and everyone is entitled to their opinions on it, though I think we can all acknowledge that some mocs are better than others. Receiving criticism is how people improve, and though mocs can get large amounts of likes, comments mean much more than a like ever would; which I presume is why one may become upset over seeing comments point out seemingly tiny or just major flaws with an, “oh by the way, this is pretty good” at the end. That “oh by the way, this is pretty good” has usually been backed by more indepth deconstruction of the moc however, so it just seems like a sentiment rather than actually praising what a moc has done well.

Do I think we need too applaud mocs on what they do well every time we have input? Probably not. Would it be nice? Yes it would. Do I acknowledge that showing anything publicly, online especially, opens it to criticism, some of which you probably won’t like? Also yes.

As far as putting this conversation back on track to it’s purpose and not the drama the bionicle community seems to be synonymous with, the podcast is typically a fun listen. It’s pretty laid back and entertaining. I will agree that the news segment is my least favorite part and the general discussion and rambling about mocs, a series, or random occurrences to be the better part.

3 Likes

I feel like I need to point out 2 things:

A) What is a small, tiny flaw/error to you or anyone else may not be so small for another person

B) Sometimes a flaw that is tiny can throw off the whole feel/appearance of a moc and leave a big effect

But yeah the podcast is often quite funny but I don’t go out of my way to watch it

2 Likes

I like that they swear, if feels more natural. (weird I know, I find it more genuine when someone shows their honest expressions then when they try to contain themselves…mostly cause I live in a society where swearing is very common, so much so that we have entire long sentences, and poetry revolving around swearing and swear words).

Also @Alieraah , since @Shadowgear6335 posted a video regarding his parts collection, I would also like to see your MOCing parts collection. I wanna know where those special Chrome mask and Ignika are, not to mention to see if your collection is more impressive than his. Maybe this could be a topic for the next gearbox podcast after both of you done the videos.

1 Like

I’ll certainly consider making one! Although I doubt my collection is more impressive (tho it is far more organized :stuck_out_tongue: )

4 Likes

I don’t want to hop in and jump onto a topic that is already effectively roadkill at this point but if I can be really honest for a second; I think some people might be over-reacting juuuuuuuust a tad.

I can only really speak for @Alieraah here because I know her best out of the three in the podcast that caused such a stir. You can say about her what you want but she’s never been too shabby or high up her horse to take a good criticism. This has never changed despite becoming vastly more popular throughout the years, even under hear previous guise as Meskii.

Is this site different in how it handles criticism compared to others? From the short exrpeinces I’ve had while here it seems to be the case. This however is not a bad thing because it balances out when compared to biogram for instance, where they only know how to praise or to Flickr, where feedback can be so indepth you might as well change the whole moc.

However, and this is majorly important, the line between feedback and criticism is a very thin one and I think a website like this should offer guidance and ideas that aspire to create motivational feedback that is objective and useful.

3 Likes

So the next podcast is up and only featured only Alieraah and Tyrigsus, this video was posted without SG (Brendan) permission. A surprising episode, but not the best despite it’s **** and giggles.

One issue about the podcast is how outdated these video are despite SG mentioning them being a month late.

Its a rather pointless april fools joke.

Episode 28 is posted and editing is sooo far behind since it was recorded at May or longer.

The Gearbox Podcast is my favorite Bionicle podcast that isn’t made by us. Sorry Modcast and BCC.

3 Likes

Hearing Exx swear on Ep.32 gave him alot of free-will compared to TTV podcast. :exx:

4 Likes

Uncensored @exxtrooper is the best trooper.

1 Like