The Grammar Topic

my english teacher would love this

3 Likes

I don’t understand why some people today think that ending a text message with a period means that the sender is angry or aggressive. Isn’t that how you’re supposed to end a sentence? It just makes no sense if you ask me.

I mean, that doesn’t affect me, since I almost always end messages with an ellipsis, which implies that I’ve never sent a message with a complete thought in my life

4 Likes

My guess is that proper grammar makes a message seem more formal, which in some cases can make it seem more cold

4 Likes

Why does anyone think it wise to repeatedly curse? Most curse words don’t even make sense grammatically, so using them shows an extreme lack of intelligence.

5 Likes

Why do people insist on being born in Australia?

5 Likes

Let’s eat Grandma!

1 Like

Well, there goes my mind!

In my case it was so the guys on the loading dock wouldn’t figure out I was a virgin who failed to make anything of his college degree. That and I’m really ***** angry all the time

4 Likes

I feel like curse words are somehow a way of relieving stress, akin to how saying “ow” helps when you’ve just gotten hurt. For these situations, I like to use psuedo-swears that have the same effect but don’t have the same societal impact, such as “carp” or “crudge muffins”. On the other hand, swears that are used as insults or as edgy substitutes to other words are just dumb. Why use a swear when you can broaden your vocabulary or use a different word that more accurately portrays your thoughts?

4 Likes

To me, “expletives” are emphatic equivalents that should be used sparingly enough to grant them that value. Problem is when people practically make a language out of 'em, it overwhelms the masses with the emotional emphasis while simultaneously depleting any expressive value. In principle, it’s the same as saying “literally” for everything.

Also worth saying that language is a different drink for everyone and sometimes you just gotta trim your vocabulary so someone else’s sensibilities can live on unscathed. Like Cordax pointed out, it’s easy enough to navigate speech without using offensive terminologies.

Two month later edit: “A whole nother” is a grammatical error that I’m both fully aware of and unwilling to depart from

3 Likes

*yr’oue

yroue-youre

2 Likes

burnet you have to say it in their dialect

¿ɐılɐÉčʇsnɐ uı uÉčoq ƃuıǝq uo ʇsısuı ǝldoǝd op ʎɄʍ

7 Likes

Not sure how I found this topic, but I’m glad I did. I just need to say that it’s really irritating how people are so used to saying the possessive “your” instead of the contraction “you’re”. “Your so happy” rubs me the wrong way. It’s not that hard to use contractions.

Same with “its” and “it’s”. You wouldn’t say “the dog ate it’s meal”, because that would actually be saying “the dog ate it is meal”. It’s means “it is”. Instead, “the dog ate its meal” would be grammatically correct.

I just needed to let it out. Anyway.

4 Likes

This is a very strange inconsistency in my opinion because an apostrophe is typically present in possessive nouns (e.g. the dog’s meal)

7 Likes

Yeah, I definitely agree. English can be weird at times.

3 Likes

Sometimes the dog is meal, so it works both ways.

5 Likes
6 Likes

“it” isn’t a noun, it’s a pronoun. Possessive pronouns never use an apostrophe: your, my, his, her, their, our. So it actually is consistent.

7 Likes