The Grammar Topic

No, not Gramma, Grammar.

Welcome to the ultimate place to practice possessives, ponder prose, and study subjunctive. I probably made a grammar error in just that part by itself.

8 Likes

It’s pronounced grammer.

1 Like

I would like it on the record that I was inadvertently responsible for this topic.

4 Likes

How are you responsible?

2 Likes

crimes

3 Likes

She becomed a gramma

5 Likes

thi’ Topics off, Too a graTe sTarT?’

1 Like

Grammer checker
The grammer checker on Microsoft word is pretty stupid.

Technically, the change it suggests is grammatically correct, with a different usage of the word “that”. What this sentence actually needs is a comma after the word “that”, seeing as “While patching up his leg” is an introductory adverbial phrase* that would therefore be set off with a comma. However, even after adding the missing comma, it still suggests changing the one after “cut” to a semicolon, despite the fact that the sentence is now fully grammatically correct, and swapping the comma to a semicolon makes the sentence more nonstandard.

I only use the grammar check as a minor stopgap, because about one in ten times it will recommend something that I actually need to fix

*Edit: whoops, wrong phrase. “In addition to the obvious cut” is the adverbial phrase to be set off.

3 Likes

I think that the most commonly misused word in verbal communication might just be “literally”. Every day I head people using the word to describe things that didn’t happen, such as, “I literally couldn’t get out of bed”, or using it to emphasize hyperbole. “Literally” is used to show that something is in its most literal sense, without any exaggeration. If I said “I literally watched a hundred movies” lots of people would think that I watched several, but with the correct use of the word, I truly mean that I watched 100 movies.

2 Likes

I actually hear a lot more “like”, which is accurate, but people just use that word to stutter.

4 Likes

Perhaps they are using the word “literally” figuratively. It stands to reason you can do that, given that everyone seems to use the word “figuratively” literally.

4 Likes

It literally drives you insane, don’t it?

4 Likes

How would you use the word “figuratively” in a non-literal way?

Also, the term literally is used to describe something, well, literal. Using the word to describe something not correct or true is simply using the word wrong.

2 Likes

That’s figuratively exactly what I’m talking about!

5 Likes

You’re still using figurative in a literal way. You’re using figurative to make something non-literal, but “figurative” is still literal.

I figure that soon there’s gonna be a fight
this is the part where you laugh

2 Likes

The powder keg is lit

3 Likes

Literally.

4 Likes

This discussion, it’s so lit, y’all! Like, its literally a figurative bomb!

1 Like

I’m going to figuratively explode

5 Likes