The Legend of the BIONICLE: Celebrating 20 years of Lego stories

yep that’s how I planned it

2 Likes

The calendar says the review’s end will be in May, so I’m just hoping LEGO will give me an awesome birthday present as I join the legion of adulthood.

4 Likes

The review begins!

20 Likes

Hrm… i’d say your odds are pretty good. There are only 5 other selections that don’t require licensing, one of them is war themed, so it’s questionable whether it’ll get through. As for the others I can’t say, but those still aren’t bad odds.

2 Likes

and with it, the Countdown for the results.

4 Likes

That feels like a whole different vibe :stuck_out_tongue:

Genuinely, though, no song has any right to be so darned depressing and haunting.

2 Likes

TBH, I’m not gonna get my hopes up, because the other projects, well…

Home Alone and Seinfeld have bigger demographics than Bionicle, so there’s a very real chance that those will get picked.

Queen: I Want To Break Free…what the heck even is that?

The express delivery ship or whatever it’s called is about 15% cool and 85% random, so I don’t care for it.

Ratatouille…I mean, I like the movie, but it’s not my favorite from Pixar. And even among the Disney/Pixar fandom, Ratatouille isn’t as beloved as Wall-E or Up. So that one’s a toss-up.

A typewriter and a clockwork aquarium? If Lego approved a playable piano, then they’ll surely approve this.

I have no idea what the Huascar is.

Winter Chalet and Toronto Rocket Subway Train…those, I don’t know, either.

I really, really, REALLY want your project to be approved and made as a project. It’s so awesome, and beautiful to look at, and it represents a huge staple of my childhood. But unfortunately, my doubts seem to be consuming me.

An iconic music video :stuck_out_tongue:

Futurama

And we’re seriously not addressing the elephant in the room? Zelda likely has some massive overlap with the lego fandom, and the comments are only further evidence of this. Out of all of them I think they’re probably the biggest licensed competitor to watch out for.

1 Like

Agreed, even though for the most part, nintendo has been oddly resistant to lego’s advances.

The thing is that i think it’s a bad choice in model. The stables are not one of the more iconic locations in Zelda. if anything, Hyrule castle or even link’s house would be a better option.

I personally don’t think Home Alone will get approved, since it’s probably too large. As for Seinfeld, some sitcom-based projects have been approved (Big Bang Theory and Friends), while others were rejected (The Office), so I’m not sure about this one.

Yeah, I don’t think that one will be approved.

This one will probably be approved, but LEGO® often approves multiple projects, so I’m not really concerned.

Both of these have reasonable odds of being approved, but there’s certainly no guarantee for either of them.

This one is basically guaranteed to get rejected, as it’s a warship, and LEGO® doesn’t really sell anything military-related though we’ll ignore the Indiana Jones sets…

I personally give the Winter Chalet a 50/50 chance of getting approved. After all, LEGO® approved the Old Fishing Store, which seems quite similar. As for the Toronto Rocket Subway Train, I doubt it’ll be approved.

Considering a Legend of Zelda project was rejected in the past, I’m not sure how well this one will do.

Over all, I’d say Sokoda’s Bionicle project has fair odds of being approved, but it may just be wishful thinking on my part :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I’m just going to copy paste what I wrote in the brickset article discussing this:

I would love for the Bionicle set to go through, but I can see how the failure of G2 might make Lego hesitant to produce something Bionicle related again. In terms of the other projects, it would be interesting to see the typewriter and aquarium, Ratatouille is somewhat of a sure bet due to Lego’s work with Disney, Seinfeld would go along well with past lego ideas sets like The Big Bang Theory and Friends, Queen could possibly work due to the Beatles set, Futurama could work due to The Simpsons sets from a couple years back and the others I have no freaking clue (aside from Zelda which probably won’t make it due to Nintendo’s previous work with Knex)

4 Likes

I’m utterly furious that it has taken me so long to say this here, but congratulations on getting to the review stage Sokoda; you deserve every bit of praise that’s come your way and then some.

7 Likes

Thank you so much for your nice words!

7 Likes

When do we know the results?

2 Likes

Sometime in may, most likely.

2 Likes

The calender sais in May, but maybe it will be longer with everything happening right now

9 Likes

I really hope we hear the results within the next couple months. I’ve been waiting for ages to find out the results, since I want this set to be made. But I really shouldn’t let my hopes get so high…

2 Likes

I was wondering… If the set gets approved, will it strictly be focused on Bionicle G1 or will it also include some sort of acknowledgement of G2? Even if the set idea itself didn’t have anything related to G2, the finalized set could very easily change that.

2 Likes

I could also imagine that it could not be restricted to Bionicle. The set is titled “20 years of storytelling”. So it could be that this becomes a small collection line with elements from Bionicle, Chima, Ninjago, Nexo Knights etc.
Because 2021 is not only Bionicle’s anniversary but also Ninjago’s.
Unlikely but possible.

As for G2. A MOUP as addition would be nice.
Edit: The story of G2 was not that good in my opinion, that it should be honored in a “storytelling” set. The MOUP is the only thing I can think of that would be small enough so the set does not become controversial as a whole, if G2 should be acknowledged. It could even be brickbuilt.

4 Likes

The set is titled “The Legend of Bionicle: Celebrating 20 years of LEGO stories” Adding in other themes would completely go against the purpose of the set, which is to be a tribute to Bionicle specifically.
And if this set got turned from “The Legend of Bionicle” into the “The Legend of LEGO Stories” I can see a lot of people who were interested in this set being turned off from it.

4 Likes