The Life of Alfred

One of my favorite time periods to study is Viking Age Europe. And for a long time, I have wanted to make a comic book adapting the historical events around the time. Particularly, how the Kingdom of England came to be.

Do note: some creative liberties will be taken here from time to time, as the time period presented (the 9th century) is still very much debated constantly. This is not a professional biography by any means. It is inspired by the following Anglo-Saxon and Nordic works:

• The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle
  • Asser’s The Life of King Alfred
  • Various Icelandic Myths on the Life of Ragnar and his sons
  • Various Anglo-Saxon legends

Another note: this will be depicting events from both historic and legendary sources, and some of the content may be a bit violent due to the nature of medieval politics and warfare. I will have to redirect some certain pages off-sight. There will also be some distinct religious themes that come up, since this is middle ages Europe.

Now, this comic will be probably updated page by page in an infrequent manner since I have other things to work on. But for now, I wanted to present the first page to you all of The Life of Alfred.

Webtoons link:

8 Likes

This looks great! I love seeing your work, and it’s neat seeing your approach to historical events in comics.

2 Likes

seems interesting!

2 Likes

3 Likes

This is great! It reads like the narration of Tolkien’s books. Also, it think there’s a typo in the lower left panel. Brother should be corrected to be in the plural.

3 Likes

That’s because Tolkien was trying to copy the style of old Anglo-saxon texts like Beowulf. That is also what I am trying to do, since this is taking from Anglo-Saxon history.

Also will fix the typo thanks

3 Likes

man

I didn’t realize batman was so complex

3 Likes