The Mandalorian: Star Wars' First Live-Action TV Show

Do you really think they’ll be that similar?

Yes, since the producer and actors have talked about how a lot about the Mandalorian is based on westerns, and Clint Eastwood’s ‘Man with no name’ role.

3 Likes

That does it, I’m gonna do a parody poster called “The Mando with no Name”

7 Likes

This tracks especially well with Dave Filoni’s history of paying homage to classic Hollywood cinema (a trait he seems to have inherited from George Lucas while working on Clone Wars). [quote=“Sabretooth, post:102, topic:46777”]
Love is one of many viable emotional drives in a story.
[/quote]

Indeed. That’s exactly the reason BIONICLE G1’s story and characters sometimes rang hollow.

7 Likes

I thought they were fine. And good gosh can this dog die already?!? I’m sick of talking about love.

He’s lovesick!

7 Likes

No. That comes from The Prince, yes, but Machiavelli was instrumental in running the Florentine republic when the Medici family lost power. While The Prince is his most famous work, it ultimately describes the manner of tyrant he fought against.

I know this is off-topic, but I felt called to point this out.

2 Likes

I can’t wait for those gritty action scenes from RO that seem like they’re coming back

1 Like

Yeah

Good

5 Likes

I am unbelievably hyped right now!

1 Like

A Clone Wars flashback, beskar’gam reflecting blaster bolts, weird creatures, not to mention just lots of cool shots? There’s only two words to say:

Kandoshii Oya!

5 Likes

I was not expecting that at all. Seeing SBDs and HMP Gunships in live action action is super satisfying.

This new take on super battle droids seems to combine their imposing height from games like Republic Commando with their larger upper torsos from TCW. Really looking forward to getting better shots of them.

8 Likes

yeah super battle droids are so cool, can’t wait to see them in this

2 Likes

The first episode was AMAZING

1 Like

Man, I’m really down. Yesterday, all of my friends got together to watch it at a Disney+ household, and I couldn’t go because my job scheduled me to work all evening. And they all said I would love it. I even read a short review that said, “It’s alright, but it misses the heart of Star Wars.” I took this to be a bad thing until it mentioned, “like Rogue One,” which is easily my favorite film in the franchise.

I guess I’ll wait until I come over to someone’s house. Avoiding spoilers, hopefully.

3 Likes

I thought the spirit of star wars was more present in it than any of the sequel or even prequel movies, so take that as you will.

4 Likes

Somehow that wouldn’t surprise me :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

This show is off to a great start. The first episode was incredible, both technically and atmospherically. The aesthetic of the show is, in my opinion, its greatest asset. The production value is astounding, and the use of practical effects is fantastic. Favreau and Filoni really know their stuff, and it shows here. The first episode was instantly more engaging and immersive than anything in the Sequel Trilogy has been. Everything feels real, in the way that the Original Trilogy felt real. The characters are intriguing and unique, and their motivations are sufficiently mysterious.

Wandering into spoiler territory, I have a few specific thoughts: [spoiler]

Of course, the most interesting aspect of this episode is clearly the revelation that the Mandalorian’s quarry is a Baby Yoda (whom my friend and I have taken to calling Binky). I’m excited to learn more about the species Yoda comes from, especially how their longevity affects their communication. Will this “yodling” be able to speak? 50 years may be young for its kind, but it is still quite long. Another question left by the episode is why the Empire desires this infant, and who else might want it. I read that some fans have noticed that Dr. Pershing, the Imperial Scientist, seems to be wearing a Kaminoan emblem on his jacket–could he be attempted to clone the yodling, or to discover the secret to its longevity? Another important detail is IG-11’s apparent orders to kill the child. The Mandalorian was told to bring the bounty in alive, if possible, and believed that he was the only one assigned to this mission, as IG-11 did. If that’s true, who wants the yodling dead? Is it someone else in the Imperial Remnant, a third party, or someone else?

My other main interest from this episode was the Mandalorian’s past, and his role in the tribe of Mandalorians. It’s mentioned that he is a “Foundling,” and I’m curious to see if this means that he is Mandalorian by birth, or has been taken into the tribe, as Jango Fett was in the old EU. We know that, canonically at least, Mandalore was very adamant about only considering true-born Mandalorians capable of wearing Beskar Armor (Prime Minister Almec mentions in TCW that Jango Fett is not affiliated with Mandalore, even though he wears Mandalorian armor). I’m interested to learn more about Mandalorian culture–what is the Mandalorian’s “signet,” and what does it mean? What’s the story behind the Armorer’s really awesome helmet (its horns almost remind me of those worn by the Mandalorians who worked for Darth Maul, but not exactly)? What exactly happened to the Mandalorian during the Clone Wars? It seems clear that this is when he was found by the tribe, as we see flashes of his home being destroyed, presumably by the Battle Droids from the trailer (which is also probably the reason for his seeming dislike of droids).

Overall, there are a ton of interesting threads this show has set up in just its first episode, and I can’t wait to see how they unfold!

[/spoiler]

3 Likes

So, I literally got to watch the show the day I made that comment, and I was right; I did love it. [spoiler]Besides the last minute where my favorite character died.

Also, did anyone notice just how much Baby Yoda looked like a Gremlin in his intro scene? I’m certain that was the same angle and silhouette… Maybe I should start calling him “Gizmo.”

Also, I want to point out how much I love the Armorer already. She looks awesome, and is my third favorite character already (behind Blue Fish Man who oddly enough reminded my of Talos somehow) simply because of that. She seems to wear a traditional Mandalorian helmet, as it looks for more like an artifact for ceremonies than Mando’s. Well, we’ll just have to wait and see, I guess. There’s a new episode today, anyways, and I just figured out we have Verizon Unlimited.[/spoiler]

2 Likes

I guarantee that I’ll be the last one here to watch the show.