The Most Evil/Good Makuta?

Gathered Friends! I have Questions, I would love Ranking or just your opinion of the Makuta from most evil members to the least evil members. From #1 most evil to #13 Most good. My list: (reason for 2. Vamprah is because he is a sinister individual. He enjoys instilling fear and hopelessness in beings much weaker than himself and sucking out their life force and this is how he spends 90% of his time. Also other Makuta are even uncomfortable around him and views Matoran as nothing more than his prey and victims, he’s truly wicked and was almost my number 1.)

1.Teridax
  1. Vamprah

2. Icarax

3. Chirox

4. Gorast

5. Antroz

6. Bitil

7. Mutran

8. Kojol

9. Tridax

10. Miserix

11. Spiriah

12. Krika

7 Likes

This may or may not be a controversial opinion, but “good” probably isn’t quite the right word for Krika. Having a crisis of conscience at the last possible moment, long after he could have done anything to meaningfully change the outcome of things, doesn’t really absolve him of his complacency in the Brotherhood’s acts. “Least evil” is probably more accurate.

Some of the Makuta killed after Teridax’s coup might qualify, though we didn’t really ever get to know them as characters, so that’s somewhat of a moot point. Melding Makuta would definitely count, if we’re going outside the ‘prime’ universe.

8 Likes

Krika is undoubtedly the most morally conflicted Makuta, as any canon examples given of him committing heinous misdeeds are always less than he was instructed; the order to kill Miserix was given to Krika and Spiriah, and Krika somehow managed to imprison the former brotherhood leader very thoroughly, yet left him alive.

There was only a handful of Makuta which sided with Miserix, all of whom eventually relented, and were killed off at Teridax’s request. Undoubtedly, however, Miserix is the only known Makuta who comes near the definition of good, as for a very long time he acted in complete faith and reverence to Mata Nui, and sided with Brutaka in the core processor to defend the life in the GSR even if that meant Teridax retained control.

While just as brutal and violent as the rest of the Makuta, Miserix was decidedly not caught up in his own arrogance, and while he didn’t retain the strict Toa code, he clearly detested the brotherhood’s actions committed after he was usurped. While Krika did have some noble intent, his cowardice led to most of his “good” actions being ones with either very little meaning or never being appreciated.

Everyone else is either pure evil (Teridax), insane (Mutran), or so dense and egotistical that their glaring weaknesses are impossible for them to actually detect (Icarax, Gorast, Bitil, Kojol, Tridax, Spiriah, a lot of them tbh).

6 Likes

Plus, I feel like the whole ‘experimented on a population of sapient beings (for the express purpose of using them as soldiers, no less) and then noped out when it backfired horrifically’ thing should put Spiriah significantly higher on the list by itself.

7 Likes

Very good points everyone! I felt the same about Spiriah at first, however I think it was from a possible naivety or fear of punishment and less from a point of evil. Also the only reason I didn’t place Miserix at the bottom is due to Greg saying on the ask Greg forum that he was more practical, having more common sense and not because he was any less evil. I chose Krika because he was the most conflicted and seemed to even care if his brothers and sister perished in the storm, trying to warn them despite how unhealthy that idea would be after he clearly aided Icarax in rebellion.

4 Likes

Perhaps, but consider 1. how many other Makuta would’ve considered doing that themselves, and 2. how many would’ve succeeded.

Spiriah was mostly viewed as a joke by the other Makuta, even by those who were even more incompetent in comparison. Mutran’s shreds of his sanity were mostly held together by devotion to Teridax’s ideals and his bitter rivalry against Chirox, but assuming he could hold his psyche together for long enough, both he and Chirox would probably have a pretty good chance of succeeding where Spiriah failed. It’s quite possible Miserix also could pull it off, if that had been one of his interests.

While Greg says that, we have a case where what Greg says separately and what Greg’s already written do not line up. I’m guessing just by the likelihood of it that the initial question was in reference to Miserix banishing his inner light, probably wondering if that made him any worse than he already was.

If we take a look at Miserix’s existence, we can tell not only was he not a fan of conquering the universe, he attempted to electrocute his most trusted lieutenant the moment the idea got brought up, with barely enough time for the concept to be explained. Being a Makuta, he possessed more than enough power to wipe out most of the people in the core processor, yet he barely utilized any of his Makuta-specific powers despite his clear willingness to use and abuse them in other circumstances. Many of his powers would also not risk damaging the core processor, such as darkness, slow, mind reading, and so on.

He’s also not nearly as much of a braggart, as practically every other Makuta (only other one I can think of is Vamprah, by nature of him never speaking) would happily plunge into a monologue if given the opportunity.

So while not necessarily a well-rounded role model or even that morally confined, Miserix undoubtedly had noble intentions at heart, even if his methods and outlook wasn’t the most humble. Greg’s just wrong on this one :sunglasses:

Krika’s much more of a bad guy gone good, someone who deeply regrets a lifetime of evil and desperately wants to undo some of the harm he’s caused. Looking at the totality of his actions, however, we have to take into account all the evil he either directly participated in or at the minimum validated with his presence. Fear of reprisal kept most of the brotherhood in line, and it’s what kept Krika in the system of evil he so frequently upheld.

6 Likes

Wait what? No way… Miserix was the first to side with Helryx in destroying the universe. He didn’t care about anything else than getting revenge on Teridax. I agree that Miserix was probably one of the most “good” Makuta, but that was the Miserix of ages long past. Since then, he has become consumed by hate and thirst for revenge, even ridding himself of moral light inside him to be “equal” to other Makuta. He abandoned his morals and stooped down to their level. He would see the rest of the world burn (literaly) including billions of innocent lives, if it meant he could get his revenge on his usurper. That kind of extreme selfishness is pretty evil if you ask me.

…

Krika is the most tragic character. He is too intelligent and self-aware for his own good. The entire universe is a solved game for him, which he is forced to play anyway. Krika is one of the only characters who understands how Destiny actually works in their universe - that while you can choose your own path, the final destination is predetermined and you can’t really change it. Krika would like to be good if he had the choice, but circumstances force him to play a different role. He sees exactly how all roads lead to something bad for him and while he could act against his destiny, it would ultimately result in his premature doom.
Not attempting something that would very obviously lead to failure is not cowardice. The rest of the characters in story might view him as a coward for not acting on his true nature, but only because they are too blind to see what Krika has realized long ago. They do not have the same big picture view of the world he has, and on top of that have the luxury of having noble destinies unlike Makuta Krika.

In short, if you are playing tic tac toe (the most well known example of a solved game) and you and your opponent start in a position, which you know cannot possibly lead to your victory, you cannot be called a coward by the spectators for not trying your hardest to win. They are simply too limited to see the reality of the matter.

6 Likes