The (Possible) Real Reason Everyone Hated G2

Bionicle’s creators wheren’t a part of it, therefore it’s not Bionicle

Honestly, it was just a marketing problem. Keep in mind that Bionicle G2 was supposed to be Lego’s next “big bang” theme, but then the un-cancellation of Ninjago happened in 2014 and sucked up most of the budget that was supposed to go to Bionicle. So yeah, Ninjago actually played a huge role in G2’s demise. Another reason for me to hate that theme :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Well, Greg Farshtey was brought in as a creative consultant, and it’s possible others were involved.

5 Likes

Details

1 Like

G2 was in development as early as 2013, which was just one year after Breakout, Hero Factory’s most commercially successful wave. I believe it was the other way around, Hero Factory was cancelled not because of poor sales, but rather because they wanted to make place for Bionicle to return.

4 Likes

That’s not exactly my point. If Lego had relaunched Bionicle in 2011, then it could very well have been a continuation of the G1 story, which the fans would’ve liked.

Which reminds me of something…

4 Likes

Can you give the source, please? If it is as you say, then I see no logic behind it… Just like with many other Lego actions.

Which would not be G2… I think I didn’t get it, forget it.

1 Like

Yep…they’re just too dependent on licensed themes these days.

Every original story driven theme LEGO creates takes around 2-3 years to fully develop, that is a well-known fact (plenty of designers have stated it). On top of that, there were also a few Bionicle G2 leaks and rumors as early as 2013.

Why LEGO decided to bring back Bionicle after barely cancelling it three years prior is anyone’s guess. It kind of goes to show that G2 was kind of ill-conceived right from the beginning.

6 Likes

One piece of concept art from the art book shows a golden HF 2.0 head, a piece that only saw use in 2011. That means it was most likely in development very early on.

6 Likes

Aha! Gotcha! I liked G2, so therefore your argument is invalid!

It’s a possibility, but I don’t really believe there is a “real” reason G2 failed. If there is one, it’s likely a complex web of a multitude of factors, one of which I can definitely agree might be Ninjago overshadowing Bionicle in the 5 years between lines.

10 Likes

it’s made by LEGO and it says bionicle on the box, therefore it’s bionicle.

7 Likes

OP: “The reason everyone hated G2.”

Me: “Can I get G2’s G2 please?”

6 Likes

The main reason i hated it was because of the fact it was too much like hero factory.It may have been the one i was introduced to,but looking back on it after pouring throught the original bionicle lore,i can say its just hero factory.They should have gone back to the darker stories and there being ACTUAL DEATHS and ACTUEL character devolpment.

2 Likes

What made it “just like Hero Factory”? (aside from using CCBS)

The “Child friendly story”

2 Likes

Hero Factory took itself a bit more seriously. At least there were villains with back stories and actual character arcs. And the books of HF were almost G1 level when it comes to world building and dark tone. Especially the last one gave me major Dark Mirror vibes.
G2 on the other hand felt like the result of a six year old trying to explain the first two episodes of Ninjago to his younger sibling at some points.

3 Likes

Exactly.Buuuuuutt…I still think that g1 did a better job at storytelling in any point of the story than hero factory.G2 was an edgy 5 to six year olds wet dream.

Believe me, I hate that just as much as you do, but let’s face it: Kids are LEGO’s target audience. The secret is to balance seriousness with childlike charm, and I think that is one of the things Hero Factory got right.
If your story is too dark and mature, you are only going to appeal to older folks who themselves are way too niche of an audience to be considered profitable.
If, on the other hand, your story is way too childish, you are going to loose most of your audience as soon as they pass the age of 10.
I think some sort of middle ground is the way to go for any Toyline that wants to make a long-term impact.

5 Likes

Terrible animation.

They could do something much better.

Look at what Ninjago received, it’s great. However, look at what we received. there are only really poor flash animations and less fallen short 3D animations

1 Like