The President of Spherus Magna

Imagine if right after the most recent story serial chapters the inhabitants of Spherus Magna decided to host an election to determine who would become the president of Spherus Magna. Who do you think would run, and who would ultimately win? (Hypothetically/satirically. I know that they would probably not have a president of the whole planet)

My guesses would be:

Dume: He knows he’s probably got the most experience out of anyone from the MU in actually being a governmental leader.

Raanu: Same as Dume, just for the Agori/Glatorian.

Velika: This is his way of finally taking charge of the planet. He’s probably got some footage of Teridax disguised as Dume that he uses to make Dume look bad. When Dume tells people that it wasn’t him, Velika probably points out how convenient it is that only a handful of people still have their memories of the event.

Vezon: Because of course he would. Probably almost wins due to memes.

In the end, I imagine that the political drama gets so bad that the Mask of Life turns silver and everyone freaks out, only for Gali to tell everyone that they need to have unity. Once they all realize for the umpteenth time that Gali is right, they decide to elect her their new president.

M̶e̶a̶n̶w̶h̶i̶l̶e̶ ̶T̶o̶a̶ ̶S̶o̶l̶e̶k̶ ̶d̶e̶f̶e̶a̶t̶s̶ ̶M̶a̶r̶e̶n̶d̶a̶r̶,̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶B̶a̶r̶r̶a̶k̶i̶,̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶S̶h̶a̶d̶o̶w̶e̶d̶ ̶O̶n̶e̶,̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶G̶o̶l̶d̶e̶n̶-̶S̶k̶i̶n̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶B̶e̶i̶n̶g̶,̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶T̶u̶y̶e̶t̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶a̶n̶ ̶e̶p̶i̶c̶ ̶1̶ ̶V̶ ̶9̶ ̶s̶h̶o̶w̶d̶o̶w̶n̶,̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶w̶h̶o̶ ̶c̶a̶r̶e̶s̶ ̶a̶b̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶,̶ ̶r̶i̶g̶h̶t̶?̶

6 Likes

I don’t think that someone could effectively govern an entire planet (IIRC, Spherus Magna’s much bigger than earth), so the election probably wouldn’t happen in the first place.

although, Kopaka would look rather spiffy in a suit

7 Likes

I know, I’m just doing this more for fun than anything else. Maybe I should clarify that in the initial post.

3 Likes

Alrighty, understandable

If such a thing were occur, I think Raanu would have a good chance at winning.

Or maybe Takanuva? Tahu might be a popular canidate, because of what he did in 2010, but maybe there’d being some sort of bias against the GSR folks since they’re essentially robots

4 Likes

In universe, they’d probably create some kind of council or something.

4 Likes

Guys, you are all missing the main candidate who would obviously win, and look absolutely glorious in a suite: Thok! Clearly, he would separate himself from the GSB and run for president, winning in the end by a landslide!

Obviously this is a joke lol

4 Likes

Tahu of course, he got the gold.

5 Likes

Well, if we handwave the feasibility of the premise and get straight to the good stuff, the first thing to do is compare populations. I imagine the MU has a much larger population than the tribes of Spherus Magna (Tesara, Tajun, Vulcanus, and Iconox are really the only four still welcome in society, unless the Earth tribe is much bigger than we thought.)

I also think it’s safe to conclude that MU beings would be more likely to vote in an MU being than an SM being. Obviously that’s far from a ubiquitous trend, but across a whole universe I expect we’d see them favour… y’know, not a literal alien. That sounds mean, but if Earth crash-landed on an alien planet I guarantee you humanity would be voting in a human president no matter how nice the aliens are.

So that means we can rule out Raanu as a winner, though he’d definitely run. I don’t think any of Mata-Nui’s close friends would, nor Toa like Tahu who strongly believed in his cause, as MN made it very clear that he didn’t want a single authority ruling over the MU before he “left” and I think they’d want to honor that.

Dume… I mean, maybe? We don’t know much about him. Velika would obviously run because it would make his plans so much simpler if he already had a degree of power… although there’s a chance he’d prefer to take things by force, especially if there are other GB’s that he suspects might be watching.

On that note, you can safely rule out any other GB’s from even considering running, given their track record.

I think you’d definitely see some Skakdi trying to push a campaign, and a load of Vortixx given their cultural tendencies. Roodaka might run, but depending on the proposed political structure, I see her as being more likely to try and side with the leading candidate than trying to be that candidate.

Pridak, because duh, especially now that his mutations are reversed. Takadox might go for it too, although I suspect he’d be cautious. Maybe Kalmah too, actually. It was a long time ago these guys were around and they weren’t universally hated (though they weren’t liked, either) - I suspect they’d give it their best shot. Not sure if any would even stand a chance except maybe Pridak.

I don’t think many of the other big players would run for it. Most powerful authority figures in the MU are secretive and not necessarily politically inclined - you won’t be seeing Artakha or OoMN members running. Miserix wouldn’t give a Stone Rat about the whole thing, you can be certain. TSO won’t bother, he’s busy plotting with his new viruses, and so by extension you can basically rule out any Dark Hunter from running without being assassinated mysteriously before election day.

Actually, of all the characters we know, I suspect that Jaller would be the best bet for a winner. He’d certainly run. He has a strong enough sense of duty to want to have his voice in the position, he’s used to positions of authority, and I can see him deciding that if someone is going to end up president of SM, he might as well give it a shot. Hahli would no doubt encourage him to do it… in fact, all the Mahri would, if they’re free from the GSB’s control at this point.

If Lewa’s back from Bota Magna, he’d run just for the lols. Actually, count Kabrua in too, unless Velika is running.

And I think you’d see some Matoran - especially from islands without Turaga, like Voya and Mahri Nui. Defliak would almost certainly give it a shot, as might Dalu, actually.

As for who would win? No idea. We can’t even predict real elections in localised states very well, we’re certainly not going to guess the winner accurately from an fictional two-universe merger. Odds are it would be someone we’ve never met before, with strong political skill and campaign talent.

Finally, you’re right - if Vezon is present, he’ll try to run and pull a Hoseryx, or even just flat-out expect everyone to love him. I see him getting caught out immediately, identified, and jailed/exiled.

So… did I overanalyse much? :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Not at all, this is exactly the kind of response I was hoping to get! I know that this whole scenario is incredibly unlikely, but I just thought it would be an interesting character study. Thank you for your imput!

I totally agree. I said that Gali would win mostly as a joke, but if she did try to run to promote unity, Takanuva would probably tell her about the Toa Empire. I think you’re right that either Defliak or Jaller would be the best choice. I hadn’t even considered the Barraki. They would definitely make things interesting.

3 Likes

the shadowed on threatens every body and become president

3 Likes

I’ve been thinking about this hypothetical situation. I’ve changed my mind about Velika running. He knows that he has a reputation among at least a few key individuals for being smart, but also obtuse, always speaking in riddles. If he started showing up for public speeches and speaking clearly, that might blow his cover. (Though maybe he’d say that Mata Nui restored his mind along with his body).

I actually think it would be a little more likely for Velika to puppet a different candidate. He’d probably task Perditus with the job, and feed him everything he was supposed to say.

3 Likes

I think Raanu or Ackar would have a better shot at global presidency than almost anyone else. Tahu and others may be big fish in the MU, but Spherus Magna is gigantic, and I imagine there are a lot more Magnans than GSRians. If a bunch of aliens crashed their spaceship in my state and said “yes, hello, we are in charge of the world now!” I’d be disinclined to support them. Raanu and Ackar have history, tracing way back before the Shattering. Seems like a more secure vote

5 Likes

That makes sense. Even if the population of MU inhabitants were larger, I could see top candidates like Dume or Vakama feeling like it would be better to let a Magnian win to quell any rumors about the GSRians trying to take over. People like Pridak would definitely still run, though. In his glory days, he was charismatic enough to bring many to his cause, and he was referred to as a theoretical “perfect physical specimen.” He may run a campaign of pure merit. An “I’m the best, so I should be in charge,” kind of thing.

I know that none of this would ever happen in canon (nor would I want it to), but it is such a fun idea to me! If I had the stop-motion chops, I’d make this a semi-serious parody.

4 Likes