The Roald Dahl Books Nobody Talks About

When many people think of Roald Dahl, they think of his classic novels Charlie And The Chocolate Factory and James And The Giant Peach. Some of his other works, like Matilda and The BFG have gotten their fair share of attention, too.

But there are other, more obscure books that Roald Dahl wrote, like The Magic Finger, The Enormous Crocodile, The Twits, and others. And then there were Boy and Going Solo. Roald Dahl said in a foreword that those books weren’t autobiographies, but…they clearly are. An autobiography is defined as a story of a person’s life that is written by said person. Boy and Going Solo meet that criteria.

So…am I the only one that’s actually read the rest of Roald Dahl’s books? Besides his greatest hits?

4 Likes

I’m not gunna say that I’m some huge Roald Dahl fan but I did get my fun from The Twits and The Magic Finger when I was a child :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ah, beat me to it.

3 Likes

I read a bunch of the Road Dahl books when I was younger, but only the ones that were translated in Romanian (aka the famous ones). I might get back into reading all of his books in English sometime though.

One really obscure one that I somehow got to read was “The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar”. It was basically a collection of short stories + bibliographies that were compiled together into a book. What’s interesting about it is that those short stories were much more mature and aimed at a much older audience, unlike most of his other works he is known for.

2 Likes

Huh. I never read that one. But I did read a lot of his other books aimed at younger audiences. One Christmas my grandparents got me a big box set of Roald Dahl books-the famous ones that I mentioned in my opening post, but also some of the lesser ones, like The Twits, The Giraffe And The Pelly And Me, and Danny The Champion Of The World. And I borrowed The Enormous Crocodile from my school’s library one time.

1 Like

Does Esio Trot count as an obscure one? It’s a nice quaint story.

I haven’t heard of any of the ones you mentioned

1 Like

Sure, it does count. And yeah, it is a nice, sweet love story that ends on point. But what kinda bugs me about it is that Mr. Hoppy essentially stole Alfie from Ms. Silver. And Ms. Silver never even suspected anything. She just lived out the rest of her life blissfully believing that the magic words really did make Alfie grow.

2 Likes

We’re talking about his more obscure written works? well he did write the screenplay for You Only Live Twice, a James Bond film.

5 Likes

Really??? Dahl wrote Bond now that is interesting.

1 Like

Yep. It’s true. :wink:

And he received screenwriting credit for the 1971 movie based on Charlie And The Chocolate Factory…despite the fact that he hated said movie.

1 Like