The Toa- A Bionicle Retelling by NickonAquaMagna

Angonce why did you only pack protein bars and nothing else

4 Likes

I meant the Space Jockeys.

2 Likes

is that you velika?

2 Likes

Nah… just another miscellaneous Great Being we’ll never learn the name of. He is noteworthy for his deeds, though.

So, uh… lot to unpack today.

The skeleton may look humanlike enough until you get to the hands and feet, but living Great Beings were the template for Makuta’s build in this version. They were also in a similar height range, just a little taller than Makuta himself.

That’s right… Makuta was their C-3PO.

We see the memories from page 126 again, a look at the (much more toy-accurate) Toa chatting it up on Sphereus Magna, and a look at the moment of a rinky-dink Takua’s… birth. Bit of a Pinocchio/Geppetto dynamic, there.

And, uh… oh boy.

14 Likes

Little sprinkles of symbolism here and there

alright Toa, time to make a choice

1 Like

I kind of feel bad for the great beings right now and now here we are the endgame now Boys

And now I wonder what species are the great beings if glatoran or something else outside of spheris Magna

Edited for Double Post - BioKnight

1 Like

Let’s just assume the Glatorian/Agori are around the same size and build as the Toa/Matoran, and the Great Beings are another race.

3 Likes

Tahu bringing in the feels, calling all the way back to page 23. Three years and nearly 200 pages ago.

He remembered that whole part of the conversation word for word. He’s changed much, but even back then Tahu cared.

Sooo… our heroes live and Mata Nui awakes!

But to what end?

13 Likes

Wow, I only just realized that Tahu shoving the Mata Nui stone in infected Kopaka’s face is a callback to how Vakama did the same to Tahu when he was the one wrapped up in Makuta’s delirium. And really, this whole infection plotline is one big payoff for that opening sequence, where you set up how Makuta wanted to isolate and corrupt one of the Toa.

You mentioning how Tahu quoted the conversation from the beginning of the story convinced me to reread everything again, and boy am I glad I did. It can be so easy for me to lose track of the bigger picture in a long-running story like this, but your storytelling really shines when viewed as a whole. So many different nods and callbacks, minor things that seem like throwaways at first only for them to come back later (for example, dunno if this was intentional but when Onua is meeting the Onu-Matoran for the first time, he says “I’ll try and memorize your names.” Cut forward some 150 pages, and Makuta’s shadow version of Onua is on frame when he says “I memorized their names!”).

In short, I really enjoy this journey you’ve been taking us on, and I can’t wait to see how it ends.

6 Likes

That WAS intentional. :slight_smile:
You’re the first to pick up on that reference.

4 Likes

So, uh… yeah.

12 Likes

So wait, does that mean that Mata Nui’s face is punctured? How did Metru Nui rise up like that? Of course, if this is to yet be answered, I can wait.

It’s surprisingly close to the surface, I wonder how that translates to Mata Nui’s head? Or perhaps we are going to get a Mata Nui-Metru Nui hybrid island?

It was basically pushed out through his mouth. Usually, it’d be much further north.

1 Like

I mean, it wasn’t as simple as the surface falling away. The city was raised to the surface. But yeah, we’re getting a hybrid. It’s the best of both worlds.

2 Likes

everyone at the fair when it starts to rain
Screenshot 2020-08-21 at 2.45.36 PM
thats all I could think of while looking at that (its because I work with/for relatives at county fairs during the summer)

6 Likes

When I saw the earth cracking open I was expecting a lot worse than that. This is a really cool idea, though. I don’t think I’ve seen anyone suggest something like it before.

2 Likes

Yup. She was in a canister the whole time.

Did she turn into a Bohrok, being in there for so long? If she did, Mata Nui’s last act seems to have cured her, and the rest of the Matoran.

So, uh… yeah. Mata Nui’s kinda gone forever now. The last of the GSR’s systems were bricked by that stunt just now. But… at least the Matoran are okay.

10 Likes

This does make me wonder what happens to the existing Bohrok, the already awake ones…

They got better.

…All save that one the Toa found mid-transformation. A couple people actually worried that THAT was Hahli.

5 Likes