The toa Hagah (bionicle canon contest #3: Honor Guard, Part 2)

I’ve always liked your style, and this is no exception! Great job!

1 Like

Wow. I’ve seen your art before and it’s absolutely phenomenal, so glad you decided to enter this. Incredible art (and of course, 6/1 split), I really hope this wins!

1 Like

Is there a 3D file for that mask?

2 Likes

Your style is phenomenal, If it came down between yours and mine in the final round I‘d vote for this one no kidding, it is fantastic!!

1 Like

Great drawing of the team! love gaakis mask design although the lighting makes it a little bit hard to see what’s going on

1 Like

As others have said, your art is always consistently amazing, and this is no exception!

The two biggest problems I have with the piece is that the shields seem a wee bit too large, and also that Gaaki seems a little too bright compared to her teammates (or, perhaps her teammates are too dark?).

Also, rule 4 states that any custom masks must have front, side, and top views drawn

EDIT: I see you’ve added the additional pictures. Good luck!

4 Likes

Impressive! This is definitely going to get my vote!

1 Like

Great job drawing Pouks and the rest of the Hagah! Cragger’s jagged blade works great as the tip of an avalanche spear

8 Likes

Wow, I really like how they’re portrayed as both extremely diverse yet equals at the same time. The poses look just like they would if commemorative statues were erected of them. Great work!

3 Likes

This is my top pick, it’s brilliant. Every single painting you put out is pure gold and everything I want out of a Bionicle art style.

1 Like

The art is phenomenal. If it weren’t for the lighting, it would probably be my first pick.

1 Like

Mata Nui… Your art style on top of this composition is no less than stellar. The intricacies of the textures and the lighting…

You made a team with such simple builds look like the true bosses the characters were meant to be. True to the characters and their elements. Well bloody done. Your work is a blessing to Matoran and Agori kind.

2 Likes

This right here is near exactly what I pictured for the art contest. These guys are guardians, so having a literal line-up at attention seems like the perfect composition. Beautiful stylization, layout, colors, just solid all around.

The only thing that throws me off is Gaaki having her spear be the only one facing down. That mask though is phenomenal, really looks like a proper war helmet.

4 Likes

Ohhh very nice! I know what I’m voting for

2 Likes

This is easily one of the best entries, especially to have a 1-1-1-1-1-1 color split. I love green Bomonga, I really hope that that or purple ends up as his official color. The only thing that could have improved the piece would be Pouks in blue (or pink).

Also, that discarded Gaaki spear is sick.

3 Likes

Hey spectreL, thanks so much for entering!

Unfortunately, we did find a very small problem with your entry. We noticed your Kualus and Norik have their shields strapped to their arms instead of held in their hands.

While this technically doesn’t break any rules of the art portion, it wasn’t allowed in the MOC portion. You may be aware of the controversy about Bomonga that followed. In an aim to prevent future controversy and making that MOC contest rule futile, it’s been decided that all shields need to be held in hand.

If you make these changes within the next seven days, your entry will move onto the polls!

1 Like

But not Bomonga’s shield though, since that’s in the original entry, and while it would be consistent to ask for art entries to change his too, that would constitute a significant change to the original MOC, per rule 4e.

None of this is consistent, and while I get its because Double didn’t follow the rules, it was TTV’s decision to let his entry through still. And as you said, “this technically doesn’t break any rules of the art portion.” I find it incredibly unfair to ask entrants to fix something that neither breaks the rules or is any fault of their own.

20 Likes

I don’t harbor any animosity towards the contest moderators/auditors, but I think that slightly looser rules would lessen the workload for everyone, and just make the contests more enjoyable in general.

Does it really matter if the shield is a bit higher up on their arm? Is that really that big of a change? Rules like this are especially devastating for people who didn’t use digital art.

21 Likes

Double’s MOC getting through is on TTV. It was their mistake. It should not be up to the artists to scramble to make last minute changes like this under threat of disqualification because the organizers failed to disqualify an earlier entry. For a nitpicky change like this, no less. I would be livid if I spent countless hours getting artwork done for the contest, followed all the rules, and then was met with this kind of response. This is honestly shameful.

13 Likes

Excuse me, but are you 'aving a laugh?

Shield straps have been a part of shield designs for literal ages. Infact, guiges and similarly designed straps were around 13-14th century BCE, meaning that they predate the literal jesus christ by an entire millenia. This is one of the most authentic way a shield can be, and has been, carried for over three thousand years, and now you want to spit into the face of not just a brilliant artwork but history itself?

I’ve been a fan of TTV for quite a while, sticking around and defending them to not only my friends, but the entire russian community at some point. Toa Hagah contests have made me reconsider my faith in their ability, but I still stuck around in hopes of betterment in the future. You, my friend, have put the nail in the coffin. The rules must be reworked, this circus cannot continue.

13 Likes