The Toa Hagah: Non-Canon Edition

Honestly? I like my builds and I’m not changing 'em. Skipping this contest, but here’s my take on the Hagah regardless.

Starting out with some solo shots of everyone, alongside their mutated selves.

So, a rundown of what I did and why I did it.

First and foremost I swapped out their spears for modified versions of the rahaga staffs, just to create more of a visual link between their two forms. Next up I used the bohrok kal shields as part of their chest armour to emphasise their elements a little further.

I also added a little extra armour where it felt appropriate; the kneecaps were actually my starting point here, seeing as I really wanted the rahkshi heads there as both a further makuta connection and another call forward to their future selves. Norik also has a Kraahkan worked into his shoulder armour as a nod to their master.

A few quick notes on the mask choices: Pouks just got one I liked the look of and wanted to include. Kualus got my favourite out of the asymmetrical ones I had files for. Bomonga gets a Crast, because hey, this is prior to the makuta turning evil and as such it doesn’t have any negative associations yet. Gaaki gets Helryx’s mask, because Hagah masks are modelled after those worn by past heroes and this is about the only opportunity to actually demonstrate that (although whether Helryx is a hero or not is a matter of personal preference).

Turnarounds:

(Just pretend Pouks uses the right colour kneecaps here.)

And a few group shots to round things off:

No breakdowns, but instructions for Norik are coming soon-- the rest are clone builds save for the one shoulder, so it’s easy enough to get to them from him. (As for why they’re straight-up clone builds, I wanted their design to reflect the abandonment of their individual identities in favour of servitude.)

31 Likes

Now these, my friend.

These are amazing. I think you went a -little- too heavy on the silver, some of them feel a bit drowned out, mainly Bomonga and Gaaki, but regardless they pretty well fulfill my ideal of “elite Toa”. Norik’s specialized shoulder stands out a bit too far from the join as well, minor issue there though.

I do wish there was a little more variation between the individuals as well. Give Pouks a pike and make him taller, make Bomonga more squat, etc, but those are purely conflicts with my personal hagah ideal. I’m glad someone finally made a forearm mounting for the shield as well.

Overall these are fabulous. Best of luck in future contests.

5 Likes

Yeah, Norik’s shoulder can’t really sit any further in than this-- at least without altering the mask so the axle sits further in.

I like to think they’d have had more variation prior to becoming Hagah, but the process of becoming them somehow involves sacrificing that. (I mean, they no longer wear their own masks, for one.)

I’ve builds ready to go for the rest of the planned canon contests, so y’all haven’t seen the last of me. :wink:

2 Likes

Maybe just use the set form of the mask, with the “Makuta face” up and the “Takutanuva face” horizontal?

Anyway these are great. I kinda echo the sentiment of the silver being a little much, especially on the ones that didn’t have it before, but everything else is solid.

I especially love what’s going on with the shoulders, I came up with something similar with the sockets, but I have yet to figure out a good way to bulk up the chest and neck area to make it look good.

I actually did try it with the set version in a couple different configurations, but it didn’t really look right.

1 Like

Very interesting take on them! The mixture of gold and silver works surprisingly well, and it reminds me of Iron Man’s armor from Spiderman Homecoming.

1 Like

I like how you’ve got the gold being just on the shoulders, mask and shield, very nice builds overall, 9/10 great job

1 Like

I like how the entire team has the silver & gold combined. I hope you’re able to re-render these with HQ lighting as they don’t do your designs justice!

(Also loving the Rahaga revamps!)

1 Like

ayy, thanks!! rooting for your Pouks in the actual contest, assuming it gets the all-clear. some neat stuff going on there.

Nice work! Is Bomonga wearing a pre mutation Crast?

Yup! The way I see it, makuta masks should be fair game. the Hagah are bodyguards to the makuta, after all, and the whole ‘honour past heroes’ thing is a broad term-- why shouldn’t it include Makuta (who were, at the time when the Hagah were originally active, not yet outwardly evil)?

After being turned back into a Toa I imagine he’d change it post-canon. Might be nice to see Lhikan’s hau recovered and given to him eventually.

2 Likes

These are super awesome!

I mostly agree with @Winger’s take. Norik and Pouks look really good with their main colors, but everyone else looks very monochrome.

Also, those leg designs are :ok_hand:.

More body-type/size/shape variation is also something I’d prefer, but these are super solid as they are!

2 Likes

Instructions are up!

4 Likes