The Toa of Terry (Canon Contest #3: Honor Guard)

Anyone here still interested in looking at basic Metru builds? Well, here are some more:

Core features:

• only parts used that existed as molds in 2005 (or in the case of black double sockets could have existed since functionally identical)
  • all have a working gear function
  • 100% purist - no painted parts, no 3D prints

Entry photos:

Bomonga:

I give consent for my mask to be altered in the final group art if the artist chooses: Yes
I give consent for my metallic color choice to be altered in the final group art if the artist chooses: No
I give consent for my spear tip to be altered in the final group art if the artist chooses: No, unless another Hagah uses the same one, and if changed, the speartip must be an official part existing in silver.

Kualus:

I give consent for my mask to be altered in the final group art if the artist chooses: Yes
I give consent for my metallic color choice to be altered in the final group art if the artist chooses: No
I give consent for my spear tip to be altered in the final group art if the artist chooses: No, unless another Hagah uses the same one, and if changed, the speartip must be an official part existing in silver.

Gaaki:

Pouks:

I give consent for my metallic color choice to be altered in the final group art if the artist chooses: No, except to silver, and in this case the speartip must be changed according to the guideline below
I give consent for my spear tip to be altered in the final group art if the artist chooses: No, unless another Hagah uses the same one, and if changed, the speartip must be an official part existing in flat gold. OR if the armor colour is changed to silver, the speartip must be changed to an official part existing in silver

Size Comparison:

All are either Iruini’s or Norik’s height.

Other entry photos

Bomonga:

Kualus:

Gaaki:

Pouks:

Breakdown pictures:

And a few words at the end:
Given that in order to work with Norik and Iruini the other Hagah need to be pretty simplistic Metru builds, I decided to also be very conservative with parts usage to create something that could have existed in 2005.
The masks are of course a problem, though. They do their job here, but ultimately they’re pretty meh, which is why I explicitly allow replacements, even if this means non-purism. As to the changes of armor colour and spear tips - here I want to maintain purism, which is why I went with a general “No” with defined exceptions. It’s possible to build Pouks in silver if you cahange mask and speartip, the other ones are colour locked based on their armor.

Otherwise there’s not much to say here, I guess, instead have a picture of all of them wearing Avohkiis:

EDIT: Wait, there is one more detail I could share:
We know Iruini originally was supposed to be Nidhiki. And we know one of the Toa Mangai of Ice wears a Kaukau and the Toa Mangai of Earth a Kakama - hence those mask choices for Kualus and Bomonga :wink: .

C&C as always appreciated, I suppose.

34 Likes

These are pretty good!

they’re probably the most similar to the ones that I am making

1 Like

It’s 'Nika Guy! And he’s got a knife!

4 Likes

For once he has the superior poseability (and a hand).

He had to take advantage of that.

Nice. I only dislike how there would be so many Orange eyed Hagah and no dark red or dark blue ones. The Pouks looks like mine. I like Gaakis design. Kualus has got a nice shoulder armour. And its cool that Bomonga does have more colors than only black @Willess12 might like that

2 Likes

Huh, true. Didn’t really think of that while building them. I just went with what I associated with the tribes in terms of eye colours. And for both Stone and Water that’s orange.

2 Likes

Yeah. Thats right. Blue was the metru color on po-beings. But the Mata color is much more memorable. And orange is the color in Metru Gas. So yeah I can understand it.

1 Like

And even more relevantly, yellow doesn’t exist as a Metru brain stalk :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Wish it did…

2 Likes

Yeah. The closest would be trans green at some lighting and Angles but that Color is missing.

I do too…

1 Like

Well adherent to the team build concept of this team of Toa with no highly contrasting details or colors. Nicely done. Good luck.

2 Likes

Welp, guess I can stop commenting on the Hagah entries now, other people are doing it for me.
(I suppose since a lot of the Hagah contest entries are similar I do wind up saying the same things a lot)

Knowing your work, I’m kinda disappointed none of them has a custom-built mask. :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway, since I’m here, I’ll break from my order to comment on these:

Bomonga: Yeah, I do appreciate the presence of another non-black color. A little taller than I’d like Bomonga to be, but that’s not a huge deal pun intended

Kualus: I’m not a big fan of the Hordika chest used on Metru builds. I do like the shoulders and the spear tip, though.

Gaaki: It’s decent, yes. I have a very strong personal preference to gold Gaaki, though. The chest plate is a nice touch.

Pouks: not a fan of gold Pouks, but if it can be recolored to silver I’m more okay with it.

Overall: I gotta say, I admire the decision to go with strictly 2005 parts, I think it presents a team of Hagah that look like they could come as sets, and they all go well together.

2 Likes

This happens to me too.

1 Like

Love the Black accents to bring out the gold armor on Pouks!

1 Like