The TTV Podcast 187 Discussion

MLP:FIM started in October 2010.
It got popular by 2011.

This episode just made me feel sad.

1 Like

Iā€™m not even gonna /s here, this is probably true. 2017 is college for me, and Iā€™m not gonna have any real reason to stay on here if thereā€™s no hope for news. I mean, donā€™t get me wrong, I love ya guys, butā€¦ If thereā€™s no new story to discuss, all thatā€™s left is mocs. And as cool as those are, thereā€™s only so many I can look at before it gets boring. Iā€™m probably never going to sell my sets or anything drastic like that, but my passion for Lego will probably die off slowly as college progresses, seeing as bionicle is the only reason I stuck around anyway.
Now if G2 were as complex as G1, there would be so much more to talk about, even if it did die. But the fact of the matter is that by 2017, anything thatā€™s not explicitly cleared up is a plothole. Which is why Iā€™m hoping 2017 goes out with a bang. Any remaining budget is put into sets and a show. Some decent complexity, lore, and general world building and sets I donā€™t feel like I have to fix every time I look at them. After all, the theme is gonna die anyway, might as well end it right, unlike Hero Factory.

Now, that being saidā€¦
If a new theme comes out using constraction that has a better plot and premise than Bionicle, you can bet your widgets Iā€™m going all in. But itā€™s gonna have to be incredibly good. Iā€™m talking lore, characters, unique premise and ideas and most of all media support. Bionicle may just be beyond saving, but Lego could always learn from their mistakes, and make a theme thatā€™s like G1 in complexity, but uses some completely different concepts and ideas.
I dunno, thatā€™s probably never going to happen, but on the slight slight chance it doesā€¦ Well, RIP wallet and social life, because I am not gonna let that theme die.

6 Likes

TTV can branch out, which theyā€™re doing already. They could do more gaming, other lego themes, and the Star Wars constraction stuff.

3 Likes

I wonder if after the inevitable cancelation, fans will continue fan projects and discussion like after G1ā€™s end or if the lineā€™s memory will fade into obscurity. I guess without as much hope of return the fan activity will die.

I hope TTV sticks around though even if they become less Biocentric!

2 Likes

I will never lose interest.

Fans will always be there. Even if this new run is cancelled after 2017, I loved it and Iā€™m going to continue working on the fan-projects I started for it.

Also, nice Junk Bot avatar.

2 Likes

Yeah thatā€™s kind of my mentality; I will always enjoy it, and I will probably try to make fan stuff as well. Iā€™ll probably take a look at a new constraction line if it comes, but I wonā€™t guarantee that it will captivate my interest like Bionicle.

Thanks, I think Iā€™ll stick with this avatar itā€™s so perfect.

3 Likes

Well at least we got 3 years worth of Bionicle G2ā€¦

1 Like

Might as well rename this ā€œThe Bionicle Pessimism Topicā€.

Yeah, this episode was pretty grim. Itā€™s a shame too; Iā€™ve come to thoroughly enjoy Bionicle G2, despite all its simplicity and poor management. I can honestly say that Iā€™ve adored the tone and wish it could continue- just with more of a media presence(RIP books).

I suppose itā€™s worth noting that an internet podcast saying that itā€™s going downhill doesnā€™t really mean that itā€™s about to go, but there is certainly some convincing evidence against it. Iā€™m most disappointed with the decision to drop Ryder Windham; RoSS provided a promising model for what we might get in the coming two years, but evidently that prospect isnā€™t going to come to fruition.

This whole ordeal is kind of like when youā€™re on vacation and realize that itā€™s already nearly halfway overā€¦ You still have half the vacation left, but youā€™re bound to spend the rest of it with the weight of that awareness.

But hey, I guess it might not end. If nothing else, itā€™s a good point that lego wouldnā€™t do much good in replacing Bionicle with another original constraction IP. I mean, I think part of why they decided to bring Bionicle back was to see if they couldnā€™t rejuvenate constraction with its recognized name. Then again, Star Wars is now front and center, and I imagine has far outdone Bionicle in the constraction department so perhaps they just donā€™t need an original constraction theme?

Dang. I guess it just gets worse and worse the more you look at it.

9 Likes

Personally, looking at this from a business stand point, Iā€™d only keep star wars constraction and replace the original constraction line with another themed system girls theme. System is far more popular and LEGO Elves has been doing well apparently. Personally I dont want that to happen, but if I had to make that decision (and worked for LEGO)thatā€™s what Iā€™d do. Also not saying that will happen, Iā€™m just saying it would be better for TLG.

1 Like

Well, when Bionicle ends we can all look to the brighter lightā€¦

HERO FACTORY G2.

XP

4 Likes

Fair enough.

Or worse a Bionicle Hero Factory crossover! :sweat_smile:

If we think about correlation and not causa- HANG ON MLP IS STEALING BIONICLES FAME

2 Likes

This has nothing to do with all this depressing talk about bionicleā€™s cancellation, but I thought of this after watching Flash and then the TTV podcast 187:
Eljay-Garrick

Mind = blown
Iā€™m not even mad. there are six main characters with different abilities, and they do stuff.
So really, MLP is BIONICLE.
Mind = double blown

3 Likes

If Bionicle is going to end (again), Iā€™d be okay with it, as long as the final year has a good enough sendoff for the theme (unlike G1 with the 2010 story).

It would be unfortunate if Bionicle became a dead toyline again; especially if there were no hope of it ever returning again in the future.

I guess the only thing to do at this point is to wait and see.

2 Likes

What I want most for a send off would be good sets (Iā€™m looking at you Stars) and a fairly emotional G1 callback/connection involving the Vahi, but maybe Iā€™m a little too hopeful.

1 Like

We started our podcast in May 2010, when BIONICLE had been over for months. We persevered for 4 years when BIONICLE didnā€™t exist. We donā€™t plan on going anywhere anytime soon. :smiley:

^Exactly

We have to entertain all these possibilities because weā€™re a discussion podcast, but I wouldnā€™t advise getting all sad about BIONICLEā€™s fate yet. Thereā€™s still plenty of hope left for it to continue or, at the very least, return after a hiatus ala Ninjago Rebooted. We may as well enjoy what weā€™ve got while we have it, and brace ourselves for the possibility that it wonā€™t be around forever (because, letā€™s face it, BIONICLE will end again, whether itā€™s next year or 3 years from now or whatever). Last time it caught everyone off-guard; Iā€™m hoping this go-round, when it happens, the community will be better prepared.

-Mesonak

13 Likes