Thomas the Tank Engine

anyone remember that when they were younger? It was great, i saw a clip of the new one when my brother was watching it, I was horrified

10 Likes

Of course.

That it was.

Uh-oh.

Good. Reacting like that means you still have a soul.

5 Likes

like why would you CGI it, why?! ;-;

4 Likes

'Cos the layouts took up a whole hangar and it would be cheaper. I guess…

It was still a horrible idea, no matter the logistics.

Now I get why people acted like it was the end of the world when George Lucas CGI’d the Original Trilogy (which was also not the wisest of ideas).

8 Likes

It also hurts to see they add like 5 new engines per episode just to make a profit, i remember the OG’s like Thomas, Percy and Toby (and all the others) we didn’t need any more, and when we did, it was gradual, they put in a new engine once maybe every 20 episodes

7 Likes

I loved these toys when I was a kid

I used to make giant ramps with my tracks and intentionally derail the trains

What a cute little mass murderer I was

Also it spawned this mod

20 Likes

As a sort of add-on to that, I was just looking at the wiki page on Hiro (the Japanese D51), and, well, he’s only appeared on screen roughly sixteen times (not including cameos) and he has, like,

• checks the merchandise gallery *
    33 toys!
    33!
    That’s insane!
    He was only introduced six years ago!
  • continues hootin’-an’-hollerin’ about over-commercialization *
6 Likes
3 Likes

A bag of sugar; Diesel 10’s only weakness

12 Likes

As far as I remember, the animations were pretty bad.

The tie-in train building sets were awesome. Probably one of my favorite things to play with before I discovered LEGO.

2 Likes

Model Trains were amazing.
The show was okay.
The new stuff wants to make me die inside.

3 Likes

Thomas The Tank Engine was pretty cool.
I owned a few toys of the show.

I watched this show religiously from when I was ~2 and a half (I’m told; I don’t actually remember :stuck_out_tongue: ) to when I was 4 or 5 and my local PBS station (ha) stopped showing it. Yeah, I’m still mad after 15+ years. :stuck_out_tongue: I still got to watch it occasionally since our library had tapes of it, though. When I was a little older, my parents bought me an omnibus of the original stories that I also loved.

Oh, and Diesel 10 scared me so much I had to leave the theater after about 5 minutes. :cry:

Same here. :smiley:

5 Likes

choo choo

8 Likes

When I was 6 years old, Diesel was the scariest villain I could ever imagine.

3 Likes

Thomas the tank engine was just amazing. Me and my sister used to make huge layouts with our track, some bloody good memories there…

11 Likes

In the distant past, he was called Sir Topham Hatt…

But now, age and experience has brought many changes…he prevents confusion and delay wherever he goes…he is now is known as The Fat Controller

3 Likes

Anyone remember the movie with Alec Baldwin?

3 Likes

Possibly. :wink:

3 Likes

that was his other name/alter ego right from the get-go

1 Like