Thoughts on Fonts

What are your thoughts on fonts? This doesn’t just mean favorites, but also least favorites and other opinions! Some of mine are:

• Verdana is the best font
  • Cooper Black is pretty good too
  • Chiller and Papayrus can die in a hole
  • Comic Sans isn’t that bad
  • Broadway is mediocre
  • Georgia is actually really good

What are your thoughts on Fonts?

3 Likes

Comic sans is the greatest invention since Ms paint

Papa yrus sounds like a rapper

3 Likes

why am I not surprised that you said this?

2 Likes

Because The Magic Of Zork™ or whatever

2 Likes

Takes long, thoughtful sip of probably illegal cigar

Friend, I’ve dealt with fonts for a long time. Broadway, Evil Empire, Metro Retro, Miltown, Cocogoose, Sans Piru 2000, Vegetable, My Handwriting Right Handed, Rashford, Drugs, Chlorinar, Depressionist 1.0/2.0/Three, Dusty Rose NF, Zing Diddly Doo, Pac Font, Crack Man, Labyrinth NF, Broken Planewing, Chonker, butterbrotpapier, Backstage Pass, Hot Pizza, Rubberneck, PizzaDude Pointers, Ransom, Dirty Baker’s Dozen, and even Dream Orphans. Many more that aren’t on that list since that’s all I knew on-hand.

Every single font in the world has a purpose and a use, even Papyrus. But that doesn’t me from gagging every time I see it.

4 Likes

What use does Papyrus serve?

Or WingDings?

3 Likes

it’s meant to look “egyptian” isn’t it?

don’t you mean radioactive

It’s a large, thin, serif font in a roman style with weathering. It implies an ancient, worn, large-scale feel when used correctly, and just looks plain stupid on tea packaging and garbage environmentalist blue alien movies made by james cameron. It’s the gross misuse of the font that ruined it, although comic sans is probably further gone than papyrus in a couple of ways:

-Minion memes and mid-2000s web pages are a lot worse to come back from than tea boxes and planned sequels

-There are now over 100 fonts that look almost identical to comic sans but improve upon the visual appeal, rendering it the obsolete iteration and purposeless to resurrect while no other font has really done what papyrus did

In fact, numbers in the papyrus font family have probably been used frequently without anyone realizing since they aren’t associated with the lettering.

4 Likes

GASPS
wingdings is very good for sending death threats

3 Likes

Or Escalope, or Bocartes Frilope, or Aristotelica, or Glyphyx One NF, or Meows Nepil illustration, or I AM TELEFONO, or Inga Stone Signs, or Quikicons Real Estate.

A library of vector graphics in font form to easily pull up and utilize. There’s one called Social Circles for social media icons, FB-Doodled for flowery illustrations on borders, and the original Dingbats font family has had a plethora of variations produced. It’s mostly internet kids that began using WingDings to type out full messages, leading to Undertale ruining people’s understanding of those three fonts by a lot.

3 Likes

Personally the worst font is the following MY HANDWRITNG!!!

2 Likes

that’s not even a font

:sunglasses:

1 Like

foiled again

1 Like

Ho boy, I have some strong opinions here.

Here’s the deal: I like my font to be as similar to my handwriting as possible aside from being sloppy and barely legible. I always prefer fonts that portray the letters and numbers the way I write them by hand. This has led me to war with many fonts I’ve used.

My biggest quarrel is with serifs. I don’t like serifs, they make the text look too complicated and overwritten. A capital H doesn’t need four extra lines. The problem is that most serif-less fonts also remove the serifs from the Capital i and j. A capital i without serifs is NOT an i, it’s a lowercase L. The English alphabet already has enough ambiguity, with 0 and O, 5 and S, 2 and Z, t and +. A capital I is only correct if it has the serifs and I will die on that hill. I used to use Segoe UI symbol because it stuck the serifs on J and I, but now it doesn’t, so I currently use Tahoma. Verdana also works, but it’s a bit w i d e.

Secondly: the little tail on a lowercase q. Almost every guide I’ve seen for teaching children to write a Q has either a hook or a v at the end of the tail, yet every font I’ve found has nothing on the tail of a q (except for serifs, which is something different). I know why this is, but can’t we have at least one font with a full q?

Fourthly: the number 4. I have always written an open 4 (or as I call it, a cactus 4), and I think it looks better that way: two vertical lines and one horizontal line, very simple and straightforward. Yet I’ve only found one font that uses an open 4. Why can’t we have nice things?

Thirdly: I like the Matoran font, but I really wish it had lowercase letters. Maybe they could be just capital letters, but smaller? Like O and o.

4 Likes

Do you not have kerning settings?

Because I outlawed it
It is a capital offense in Ghid WorldTM to add the stupid q tail

I’ve seen a couple, but if I’m designing a logo with an open 4 by request I’ll just make it through other means, because most cases if that’s requested, it’ll need to be modified to be central to the design through further iterations.

Of course I imagine you and I use fonts for very different purposes.

3 Likes

I’m very happy that people are writing textwalls about fonts.

3 Likes

I put most of my essays and other assessments into comic sans not because I like it, which I kinda do…

4 Likes

But it’s qt.

4 Likes