Timeline makes sense and no sense.

Ok so for the most part I have no issues with the Bionicle timeline, but there are some things that bother me a bit and here they are…The Great Disruption in which the Matoran civil war breaks out in Metru Nui 79,500 years ago and then 79,100 years ago the Brotherhood steps in to end the conflict, so that conflict lasted FOUR HUNDRED YEARS…the events from arrival of the Toa Mata to the death of Teridax and all of the lord of the rings status battles and conflict took less than one year…one year…ONE YEAR. Does anyone else find this ridiculous?

4 Likes

Not really.

4 Likes

Well to each their own. I suppose alot can happen in a year lol I’m just curious why not make the Matoran civil war a one year conflict and the main story with the most important events and the most epic battles the 400 year conflict. Then it would be more epic.

1 Like

If the matoran civil war lasted only one year then Mata nui wouldn’t have been dying due to the lack of work being done.

2 Likes

duh

/s

1 Like

Honestly, I felt the bionicle timeline was very convoluted too. It makes no sense to me. How could the events of the entire MU in G1 happen in 1 year? How could the Matoran and Toa live for thousands of years on end? That’s what I’ve never understood.

2 Likes

The Matoran Civil War or The Great Disruption took place a long while before The Great Cataclysm in which Mata Nui went into a coma so that event had no effect on Mata Nui dying.

1 Like

mata nui was described to be in poor health after roughly 400 years of work not being done so much so the Mask of life needed to be used to repair the damage

The time between the great cataclysm and Mata Nui being awakened was well over that, 1000 years to be exact.

2 Likes

I just mean The Great Disruption happened nearly 80,000 years before Mata Nui fell into a coma so I mean it probably isn’t related to that, but it could have been what started him down the path to poor health.

2 Likes

Yeah I find it ridiculous, It’s a shame that the main story line events weren’t stretched out seeing as Toa, Mataron etc perception of time would be different seeing as their life spans are longer.

Like if you think about it, if you lived longer you would perceive time different, taking thing slower.

So therefore even “fast events” could take a bit longer, perhaps things like the mask quests/McGuffin quests alone could take a year and events like the Toa Metrus journey taking longer.

Just some random head canon ideas/theories. Hope that’s helpful.

2 Likes

I also find it ridiculous. I always thought that it would be better if the toa mata were on mata nui for around 10 years, then they are in metru nui for 2-3 years doing repairs and stuff then 2006-2008 takes place in 1-2 years

1 Like

In my headcanon (though I would rather call it alternative canon) The whole thing lasted not a 100.000 years, but 1000 years, and time Matoran were on Mata Nui is 10 years. I basically cross 2 zeros in all dates - MCW lasted only 4 years for me. Which is makes sense, because war is more disastorous to Mata Nui’s health than just absence of Matoran, and thus took 6 years less to almost kill him.
I always thought that main storyline (from Takua finding Toa Stones to Terridax’s death) was somewhat like 2-3 years at least, cause there were REALLY A LOT of stuff going on during it.

2 Likes

Not at all.

The real meat of the story is the mission to revive Mata Nui and, if you think about it, that whole thing doesn’t really take all that much time; it’s more or less constant action. I believe that, from the time the Toa Inika left Metru Nui to the beginning of Teridax’s Reign, that main part of the story only took a few months (maybe even weeks). This was bookended by the Toa’s adventures on Mata Nui and Teridax’s Reign, both of which took multiple months.

Also, remember that this “year” is made up of 36 hour days, and the characters (maybe? Official Greg Discussion | Page 19) don’t need to sleep. So they can do in one “year” what would take us 2 or 3 years.

EDIT: It seems that Toa do need sleep, but not as much as we do:

EDIT 2: So apparently it was one Earth-year, not one Bionicle-year:

Still though, given the endurance and other physical qualities of Bionicle characters, it stand to reason that they can perform tasks in much less time than humans. Plus their methods of travel are far superior to ours, and don’t need breaks.

3 Likes

To clarify here: it’s been confirmed (presumably via Greg) that not only did the Ignika have to be used to revive Mata Nui during the Ignition arc, but that it also was used at least one time prior, in the aftermath of the Matoran Civil War. Mata Nui had a brush with death here that was caused almost solely by the civil war. Therefore, it makes sense for it to have lasted a few hundred years to have directly caused that damage.

But honestly, the Bionicle timeline is a bit too needlessly stretched out to me, at least in terms of their history. The history of the MU spans a hundred thousand years, which is ten times the span of human history. So honestly, it feels like you could divide most of the times in MU history by 10 and it would feel a lot more natural, but that’s just me.

3 Likes

Sometimes bionicle people take a long time to do stuff.

The battle against the kanohi dragon lasted a month
Lesovikk fought a rock lion for days.
Artakha, Helryx, miserix, and the others spent at least three days debating whether to free the cursed Great Being

8 Likes

I always assumed that the MU (and Bara Magna) inhabitants perceived time differently. For us a few weeks is nothing ,but for many insects it’s a lifetime.
Plus , correct me if I’m wrong, the Red star was operational at the time of the matoran civil war. So most dead matoran were revived , again correct me if I’m wrong, and teleported back. That changes everything, war exhaustion would be mostly material ,that could stretch wars for eons without external intervention.

3 Likes

:point_up::laughing:One might now see the MU characters possibly in a similar light to Tolkien’s Ents:
“They may take a while to get started at a task, but once they get going, they can get it done with extreme prejudice,” LoL.

2 Likes

The general consensus I’ve gathered in my circles is that, yes, the timeline does not make sense and is quite ridiculous. (It’s also inconsistent sometimes, heh…)

There’s also things like, most of everyone has been alive for all these 100,000 years, including the organic beings of Spherus Magna…

3 Likes