Toa Hagah Canon Contest Format Feedback

I know I said I was going to leave but saw this on my email and wanted to give some context here because and please corrrect me if I’m wrong, you are assuming i sent these to my friends?

First and foremost I don’t have that big of a network of Bionicle fan friends to pull a stunt like that. Secondly these were just posted in the group feeds I told nobody to go and vote on these beyond the people who actually voted. Thirdly I’m no where near the big named community memebers so either way what I do I won’t reach everyone thats a shame but that is how it is. I’ll be taking my leave now again and I’ll only return to this topic if someone mentions me or @s me

Lol I should’ve read more about chaos theory

Also @Tarkur I wasn’t at all implying that. It’s called a hypothetical.

1 Like

I may be trying to find some good spraypaint or something to emulate flatgold sometime relatively soon. If I get good results I will post it here

2 Likes

make sure it’s not the official shape or it won’t be canon compliant :open_mouth:

3 Likes

I was referring to the noun and not the mask in that case, a confusing context to use that word in hindsight

1 Like

To give some context on what I think should be allowed, here’s my Hagah builds:

Personally, I think these stay in the spirit of the Hagah aesthetic, while addressing some of the weaker parts of the existing Hagah sets. Needless to say, I think these types of customizations should be allowed.

And although I didn’t choose to do this, I think some variations on the Metru body should be allowed like Kodiak’s Bomonga. I also think that custom torsos should be allowed, but they should have the same approximate dimensions as the Metru gearbox.

Ultimately, each person is going to have their own personal opinion on where exactly the line should be drawn on what should be allowed to be canon. Because Greg never gave us a rigorous definition of a “Metru build”, that line won’t be objectively drawn until after the contest and Greg approves it.

In the spirit of (1) letting the community as a whole have a say in what defines a Metru build and (2) keeping the rules fairly simple and keeping this a fun contest, I think the rules should allow for a large degree of customization. If you are concerned that the community won’t “respect the canon” in their vote, remember that Greg has the right to veto any potential winner. If he doesn’t think it matches canon, he won’t approve it.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t vote for em myself. Im not saying your mocs are bad, but they don’t feel cohesive to the team. They could perhaps be a different Hagah team, but I’m just not seeing any uniformity

3 Likes

And I respect that opinion! All I’m saying here is that I think these and builds like these should be allowed into the contest, not that everyone should think that they should win.

2 Likes

You know, that’s actually a really great idea. I should provide people with some… Inspiration.

Introducing… Toa Pouks, The Thunderous

Mighty hero of Stone, member of the Toa Hagah, Toa of Love and Thunder(thighs).

Undefeated in battle, the gym, and in romance, Pouks sweeps countless ladies off their feet with his luscious legs. His speartip, to illustrate his alpha stature, is almost the size of his whole body.

To help satisfy everyone, I included every aspect of constraction in this model. Custom-built upper limbs to illustrate the manly muscles, system inclusion in the upper arms for articulation, hero factory hand socket in the neck for hero factory representation in official Bionicle canon, and a leg connector for rock-hard abs. And since I didn’t have metru shoulder armor in silver, I put shoulder armor on his shoulder armor.

Oh, and because I didn’t want to make too many people upset, I added the ball joint feature on the arms for extra articulation, but I didn’t use it. Hopefully satisfies both crowds.

His mask, which is shaped after - you guessed it - an image of real-life me! allows him aerodynamic movement when chasing the enemy. Thankfully he doesn’t have that many enemies, but if you get on his bad side…

He can use his masterful muscles to progress to crab form, for extra sideways speed and intimidation tactics! He also swoons over 150% more ladies this way.

So beware, all who hunt in the darkness: Toa Pouks is coming, and nothing except a tall woman with a fidget spinner can stop him!

Please don’t take this seriously. I just wasted my afternoon on this stupid thing for literally one joke and I need to prioritize my life. Everyone needs to take a nice breather instead of ‘giving up’ and walking out of the topic, and hopefully this was thoroughly entertaining for you.

Props to @Pakari for inspiring this blight on humanity, and for introducing the world to the ultimate form of Pouks.

17 Likes

Thanks! I hate it

2 Likes

@Ghid: people have been sentenced to capital punishment in international tribunals for less

@everyone else: You’ve probably (maybe?)
noticed (honestly, not sure if I’m notable enough for anyone to notice) that I have barely posted in this topic at all today. It’s not because I was unable to be here. I believe that we fully exhausted the range of possible viable opinions a long time ago, everyone’s cases have been made, and all available evidence has been presented. That is to say, I find continued debate and discussion here to be a complete waste of effort. At this point, I can practically match individual users to their personal beliefs on how to run this contest and what defines a Metru build for this contest’s purposes, and the exact reasons why they hold those beliefs. There’s really nothing more that could be said that hasn’t already been said. I would just recommend we all go home and fantasize about Pouks’s massive Metru gearbox thighs until the contest opens for real, or until TTV puts out another poll for us.

Possible flame war that I decide to intervene in notwithstanding, I’m signing out of this thread.

7 Likes

and I deserve no less for my crimes

4 Likes

Well I think you’re wrong because my opinion is right and I’m willing to substantiate that with declaring my feelings as authority on the matter.

8 Likes

I meant being able to reduce the shoulder frame of the standard Metru build. And now that I’m back home and able to experiment, I definitely can say you can! Here’s my attempt at a “light armor” / Slim-Metru build.

Due to the ball piece, the shoulder armor tends to hang away from the arm. You can close the gap by pushing the arm against it, but I like the way it looks. For comparison, here it is next to the standard Hagah arm.

3 Likes

Hmm that’s definitely the same amount of armor, I’d call that a “lighter frame” more than anything, but it works better than I thought it would

1 Like

I didn’t give up on the topic don’t worry.

I gave up on humanity.

1 Like

Figured a smaller frame could be useful for a Gaaki moc or just to contrast bulked out Hagah.

3 Likes

hopefully not because of Pouks the Thunderous

3 Likes

If you’re interested, I made this design for a ‘lighter’ shoulder a little while back.

I know its no star but I think taking advantage of the ball socket on that orientation has the ability for lots of little add ons

7 Likes

I originally went for Art Only, mostly out of a desire to get it over and done with quickly (Because frankly there are only two real routes with Hagah MOC contests: Non-Canon and boring), but after watching the Nak and Jay and reading some more stuff, I’m warming up to the 3.5 version of Contest Thunderdome.

Ideally, I’d be looking for 1:1 authenticity with the existing Hagah. If it don’t look like I could’ve gotten it out of a can in 2005, it ain’t getting my vote. Depending on my mood that may even reach the extent of “No armour or limb pieces from after 2005”, IDK.

(This is the primary trouble with Hagah canon contests. By their very nature, they have to be slim variations on an already very narrow theme, which is dull, but opening it for more variance just destroys the entire point of them being canon contests)

I’ve seen a lot of people trying to science their way to a set of dimensions for a custom torso, with exact measurements of the original torso block that must be adhered to in order to qualify as a “Metru build”. But like… just use the danged torso block?

Literally the last thing we need is to end up with five standard Metru Torso designs and then one dude with mostly the same proportions but a distractingly over-greebled torso.

So yeah, if I can change my vote up-top then put me down for 3.5 Contest Thunderdome. And a hard “Must use the Metru Torso Block” rule on all MOC entries.

9 Likes