Toa Hagah Canon Contest Format Feedback

I do really like the group art option. In general, I’d rather keep everything done as a group rather than separately. Keeping them separate arguably risks one or two Hagah winning that take more liberties with the Metru build but the rest that hold more closely to it. Or even one winning that has copper armor, but none of the rest matching.

Doing everything as a group ensures consistency among the characters, and I would 100% support a group contest over individual contests.

2 Likes

I think using 3D parts for the spears, masks and extra armor would be fine especially since that would be a way to make them distinct yet still share the same basic frame if they went the route of hard Metru Build.

4 Likes

I voted for art only because I only have CCBS and Technic in my parts collection, and the 3 Gen 1 sets I have are either 2008 vehicles or Turaga Dume.

Uh… yes, I agree. Your point is about the issue of some people coughcoughDorekcough not wanting 3D parts ‘canon’, so If mocs can become canon, then it makes sense to not allow 3d parts. Again, only for the Hagah.

ding ding ding

This is why I think we need a metru build rule.

I know so many people who just want the Hagah to get canonized so they can have official representations on their shelves with Norik and Iruini, and if the canon appearance looks nothing like those two it kind of defeats the purpose entirely.

Now you may say that’s silly, if you just want a basic metru build, make your own, you dont need a contest. And to an extent I’d agree.

but that’s not what’s in question, this is a hagah canon contest and people want their canon hagah to actually fit in on a shelf.

I totally get wanting creative freedom, but this round just isn’t the place for it.

14 Likes

Yeah this is a cannon contest not a moc contest and the point of it is to make the most canonically accurate moc, not the best/most elaborate/most creative moc and what’s been stated by Greg the ultimate source of cannon at this point is that the other Haga have the same build as Iruni and Norik

3 Likes

Exactly, there’s six more toa contests for people to go nuts on.

7 Likes

and quite frankly it just feels like people who don’t care about canon and don’t like the contests barging in to turn the contests into something they like.

If you don’t like the contest just don’t participate, don’t try and turn it into something it’s not

4 Likes

Top reasons why art only is the best way to go:

1. the Hagah are already so restricted in terms of what they look like. As many people have pointed out, it basically turns into ‘what set of armor/weapons look best on Nokama’.
  2. There likely wouldn’t be unbuildable art like Nikila, since it would all be the same build.
  3. It allows for a lot more creative freedom like colors and piece shape. Some people don’t like painted pieces/3d pieces? Well, this avoids both. For example, I would never paint 10 pieces to make a metallic purple Bomonga, but I might draw it and lose because I suck at art
  4. You dodge the debate of mettur build entirely – let’s be honest, some people (me included) just want to flex their cool custom builds, but with art? A well-drawn Mettur torso piece is no less impressive than a well-drawn custom torso.

Also: I say all this as someone who has four mocs ready to go, and will enter them if there is moccing. If it’s art only, I’m essentially barred from this contest, as I have no artistic talent to speak of. But I’ll still push for it, as I think it is the most senslibe option.

5 Likes

Okay to play devils advocate/to give my counter argument

1. the repetition of teams has been a thing since day one of Bionicle and is a staple of it did we forget that pretty much every team from 2001-2005, Piraka, Inika and Mahri/Av-Matoran were copy builds?

2. I suspect there would be some pretty stylized art since you can stylized art way more than a moc also if we limit it to the straight Metru Build rules well then at that point why not just have a moc contest.

1. Again this is a cannon contest not a creativity contest I reiterate its point is to be as adherent to cannon as possible not someone’s cool moc and as for the usage of 3D parts people who don’t want them will just not use them.

2. I’ve got no counterargument for this one that’s completely fair

Then please don’t enter the hagah contest, wait for one of the other six toa getting contests.

9 Likes

This is the wrong take. Some people want to build a character.

2 Likes

The “wrong take” would be acknowledging that X character is suppose to look a certain way, but ignoring that because “some people (me included) just want to flex their cool custom builds”.

5 Likes

No one’s stopping you. Just don’t, I don’t know, deliberately go and “build a character [generic plural noun]” when the point of the contest is to build, within clearly defined limits, a character [specific singular noun].

8 Likes

If you wanna flex a cool build then just make a topic for you cool build don’t try and alter the cannon for e-clout basically or flexing rights

8 Likes

exactly.

The Hagah canonization contest should be entered by people who want to design the toa hagah specifically. If what you want to build isn’t what these characters are canonically suppose to look like, then you can wait for another contest that better fits with what you want to build. Or just build your own moc separate from any contest, no one’s stopping you.

5 Likes

yes and that character is a metru build.

If they don’t want to build that character they shouldn’t enter

9 Likes

If you want to build your Haga with Ben 10 torsos, CCBS arms and legs and Reys CCBS head go right ahead in your own time its just for this contest you have to make a character a certain way

2 Likes

I’m not sure I get what you mean? My point is that the Hagah are so restricted, as opposed to, say, Helryx, where any build goes so long as it’s a blue Toa with a shield and a mace, or Artakha, where it just has to be green and have a hammer. For the Hagah… we pretty much know exactly how they’re built, it’s just a matter of how they look.

Some, possibly. However, I think it would be a small minority, and most builds would be buildable. Hence why I said ‘likely’

That’s not really my point.

Let’s say, for example, that I want the canon Bomonga to be mettalic purple. Seeing as that’s a color that no armor pieces come in, I have two options:
1.paint pieces, which, while I might not mind one painted piece, I really don’t want to do ten.
2.hope someone else makes a purple Bomonga I like
3.I guess I could use Stud.io… Yeah, that didn’t occur to me until just now, it’s a fair alternative.

But if the art isn’t based on any moc, I can just draw a purple Bomonga without needing to paint anything, and enter my own purple Bomonga. You get what I’m saying?

I’ll admit, maybe I worded this badly. If custom torso builds are allowed, I will absolutely enter my custom Gaaki build – because I think it counts as a Mettur build, and therefore complies with canon. I’m not ‘ignoring canon’ by making a custom build – from my point of view, the jedi are evil that is a Mettur build.

2 Likes

Okay so I didn’t think about Stud.io either lol but that would work but also Bomonga being a Toa of Earth means he wouldn’t be metallic purple he’d be most likely all black which is a color we have for the Metru Build unless you mean the extra armor and such in which case I’d say Stud.io for that