Toa Hagah Canon Contest Format Feedback

Yes. That’s exactly what I want, thanks for asking. :smiley:

14 Likes

I totally agree, my man. I like me my toys.

2 Likes

no comment
Hey, it is your choice if you want to suck the remaining imagination out of Bionicles. I am not one to judge.

Metru build to me means keeping the the Metru torso, hips, thighs, upper arms, and feet. I think the rest of the Hagah should vary in the same way that Iruini and Norik did. That being the shoulder armor (for Norik), chest armor, forearms, and calves.

3 Likes

IMO I think the Art contest alone might work, lots of people can’t seem to agree on what a metru build is, so let them make their own MOCs based off of the canon artwork. Also it won’t drain up the entire stock of certain pieces on BrickLink because people want to recreate the winning MOC.

1 Like

the current canon does and I have no problem with it.

8 Likes

It’s a matter of consistency rather than blandness for me.

9 Likes

Yeah. The Hagah were never really a good point to use as a springboard for creativity.

At that point though, why not just allow mocs?

4 Likes

i do
unironically

this

also good mocs are possible in the metru build. you just have too… y’know… actually make an attempt. as i said before, creativity is born of limitations.

8 Likes

That’d be an acceptable stipulation if we’re not going to have a MOC contest, imo. It’d be similar to Dezalk or any of the background agori from the 09 comics.

1 Like

IMHO, interesting look > consistency.
Especially for a team that is supposed to come from different parts of the MU. But that is my opinion and which is why I personally voted for art.

2 Likes

These are not mutually exclusive in my eyes.

11 Likes

I don’t really mind how the contest goes down, but I might as well throw my two cents in for consideration.

I sympathize with the idea that there should be visual consistency between the Toa Hagah. But at the same time, if this winds up having a MOC contest portion, I don’t want to limit the contestants in how far they can push their entries.

Despite that, I don’t feel it should be an art-only contest. All the Hagah masks can basically be whatever mask anyone wants, so there isn’t a point in designing an original mask, and if we want visual consistency then none of the art is going to be able to get interpretive or creative either. It will just be mostly the same designs with differing masks, and if we’re going to all that trouble why not just make the “official” versions the MOCs?

Honestly, I think it just comes down to the question of “do we want visual consistency?” If we do, then honestly I’d actually vote to just skip the art contest and do it all in MOCs. What would be the point of doing artwork when the official designs can be most easily, readily, and accurately represented in set/MOC form?

The other alternative is to do the contest same as the others were, but if that’s what winds up happening it cannot be restricted to the visual consitency of Norik and Iruini. It just can’t. Otherwise, there is no point to designing a MOC meant to go up against other MOCs in a competition when all we’d really be voting for are which combination of mask/spearhead/armor add-on/lower limb type we all like.

It might be best, then, to put reasonable limits on the proportions or types of pieces that can be used in MOC entries (height limits, stud-length limits, or something, idk). It could just be up to TTV what entries qualify as “Metru-like” enough to be entered. Just a thought.

10 Likes

I personally disagrees as a custom torso wont capture the astethic of say a metru torso no matter how skilled of a moccer you are. Not only that but it takes away a bit from my opinion the charm of the metrus and hagahs design. I respect your opinion even tho I fundamentaly disagrees.

4 Likes

Metru builds are boring because Lego never tried anything outside of the ordinary, this kind of a MOC contest would allow us to really show the potential of the Metru Build. Plenty of MOCs have used the Metru Torso in interesting ways, I feel if we define “Metru build “ as “use a Metru torso” like suggested on the OP document, it could inspire a huge wave of creativity.

4 Likes

Imagination is far from gone. The Hagah would look goofy if two of them were Metru builds, and the other four were Definitely Not That when they were supposed to be an elite guard corps who were hand picked to work together, and there’s so much world to explore beyond Metru Nui and all the places that the narrative touched. Most of the chains of the Southern Islands are unexplored, and we still know practically nothing about the six prime species. That’s oodles of creativity! Oodles!

13 Likes

Just to take a stage out of the contest. It expediates it.

2 Likes

If we do this then we either have to ban 3D-printed parts or start an open revolution against Dorek.

5 Likes

We should do that regardless.

15 Likes

Aight So for everyone who’s saying that Metru Mocs just need the Torso and Waist piece… I have a question:
Nenon, Toa of Psionics - Creative Content / Lego Creations - The TTV Message Boards (ttvchannel.com)

Is Metru Moc, No? We need a little more than that, methinks, in terms of stipulations.

Secondary to that, I should not need to remind anyone here of the board rules. If I do, I suggest you go read them before I remind you of them.

Kthanks.

12 Likes