Nenon, Toa of Psionics

**Updated to include how-to-build video under Instructions

(See more images here)

Pronunciation: NEH-non

Bio:
A rookie Toa of the Post-Reformation, Nenon was born into the swelling new generation of matoran in New Tesara, the cosmopolitan heart of the Toa/Glatorian dominated realm of the former Eight Tribes. By the late 2nd century she had achieved her Destiny as a Toa and joined the ranks of thousands of others working alongside Glatorian in protection of the Land of the Eight - once known by its archaic name Terra Octa, now simply Octerra.

The lax and airy Nenon was well liked by her peers but undependable in the eyes of her superiors; in her training she often greeted instructors who found her distressingly carefree with ironic salutes, and upon beginning proper field duties gained a reputation for laughably low stamina. Still, this attitude of playful amusement concealed a sincere determination in her Destiny as a Toa… at least originally. From the start Nenon’s new telepathy was difficult to rein in and she found she could not stop her mind peering into others. Forced to stare at the discrepancy between people’s words and intentions Nenon grew more disillusioned, especially from those she herself admired or trusted. Creeping cynicism eventually gave way to passive disinterest and Nenon, already in doubt of the concept of Destiny as so many of the new generation matoran, abandoned her life as a Toa and left the Octerran region in the early 3rd century.

For a time she sought refuge in solitude and took up in the wildlands outside of Octerra, away from all other thoughts but her own…until she grew bored. In what may be the most abrupt period of soul searching known to Spherus Magna, the young Toa abandoned her isolation after one day, determined that the only thing worse than people was the absence of them. She continued east meandering this way and that, seeking out only what peaked her curiosity and never staying in one place too long. Eventually she crossed over the Solatum, the once haunted continental gorge which emerged from the Shattering and split off Octerra from the lands east for a hundred thousand years, and kept walking.

By the middle of the 3rd century Nenon was established in a town of the tropical southern Tourang Enclaves, a sprawling confederation of territories dominated by mercenary clans of the ethnic Burrai glatorians. The Burrai it seemed still had minimal knowledge of Protodermans outside of the broader events of the Reformation and Nenon was all too happy to go unrecognized as a Toa; here she associated with a minor gang of street level swindlers and hucksters. She had little interest in money but found their various scams an all too entertaining use of her psionic abilities, which only endeared her to the wannabe racketeers. Nenon would continue her unlikely lifestyle until one day when she mistakenly instigated conflict with a group of Zanite Vortixx led by an Ordimat Commander that had crossed the Solatum while investigating traces of elemental shadow.

During a short but intense skirmish Nenon was startled to find the Zanites could briefly throw off her telepathic influence with a jarring, thunderous bellow which seemed to resonate as physically as it did mentally; an Avichron-linked trait that Zanites called the Soulcry. After this Nenon, now curious of the strange Vortixx, willingly followed the Ordimats in their investigation. For the first time since coming to the Enclaves, Nenon had found something that occupied her interest more than scamming a few gambling regulars…

Personality:

Soft spoken, easy going, and often curious, Nenon appears pleasant enough to most people on first meeting. Though at times mischievous, there was little that ever seemed to offend her, or indeed faze her at all and the young Toa was always happy to simply go with the flow. But after leaving Octerra, this outward persona belied a bottomless cynicism of almost everything, most importantly people - their behaviors and their beliefs. Her cynicism never manifested as any kind of bitterness or resentment, merely…apathy. She was friendly to everyone, but trusted no one. She held no expectations, believed in nothing, and made it impossible for anyone to truly know her beyond surface level niceties. Her only motivation remained the pursuit of whatever fancied her mercurial interests on any given day. That, and a long midday nap.

This would slowly begin to change however through her interactions with Nerix’s Ordimat team. As Nenon picked the curiously driven Zanites, what she found continued to intrigue her. Together, Nenon would find herself embroiled in the chaotic sequence of events of the 3rd century. And she would rediscover a small part of herself still capable of possessing stakes in anything beyond her own self satisfaction.

Tools:

Nenon wore the Kanohi Oteha, the Great Mask of Lethargy. It allowed her to slow any target’s overall physical processes - their speed, reflexes, general reaction time etc. However it could only affect one target at a time and required line of sight. Its power also greatly diminished past a certain range, though this suited Nenon fine as most often she used her mask as a means to disable close range physical attacks to offset her own abysmal close quarters fighting capability.

Nenon also carried a large psionic chakram which channeled her abilities. While the strength of her ordinary psionic powers depended directly on the range of her target, her chakram maintained full psionic link at even the furthest distances. Rather than physically throwing her chakram, Nenon usually cast it around her solely telekinetically to devastating effect. She also used it as a makeshift shield by rapidly rotating it in place in front of her, creating a both physical and psionically charged barrier that could stop most attacks.

Instructions:
Full how-to-build video is here:

Parts list and Studio file are included in the video description.
The mask is a custom one from shapeways titled “Niretta’s Mask of Serenity” by Onuku and Toa-Niretta. It’s pretty neat.

66 Likes

Stunning as ever. It was nearly impossible for me to tell it was a metru build at first. The entire build flows incredibly well. Definitely looking forward to the instructions.

6 Likes

it’s beautiful

what

6 Likes

Lol. I forgot to mention here but the real reason I started on this was to try my hand at using a metru torso for moccing. It’s the first and definitely last time I’ll be doing that.

5 Likes

Everything you build looks amazing, but I particularly like this one! :smile:

1 Like

As always I’m blown away by your character creation, both in the fine detail of the build and in the subtle intricacies of her story. The color scheme is particularly striking; I know that these are the canon colors of psionics, but I never imagined them being so bold and bright. Fantastic work!

3 Likes

I’m amazed that you managed to do this with a Metru build. I’m starting to think you can just invent infinite intricacies while MOCing. :stuck_out_tongue: It looks fantastic, and I especially like her weapon.

1 Like

Saw the wips on Reddit awhile back gotta say I’m not disappointed

1 Like

I’ve updated the post to include a full instructions video for Nenon. Parts list, mask, and studio file are all there.

3 Likes

yay

I actually used a very similar head design on a recent MOC.

2 Likes

Very cool MOC, been watching the how-to and you made masterful use of the Metru torso. Not a fan of the tires and gears on the arms though, they clash with the otherwise smoother overall texture of the MOC. Still a stunning build though, and I really enjoyed reading her backstory.

3 Likes

Most impressive! I really like those Vortixx as well

1 Like