Toa Hagah Canon Contest Format Feedback

Figured a smaller frame could be useful for a Gaaki moc or just to contrast bulked out Hagah.

3 Likes

hopefully not because of Pouks the Thunderous

3 Likes

If you’re interested, I made this design for a ‘lighter’ shoulder a little while back.

I know its no star but I think taking advantage of the ball socket on that orientation has the ability for lots of little add ons

7 Likes

I originally went for Art Only, mostly out of a desire to get it over and done with quickly (Because frankly there are only two real routes with Hagah MOC contests: Non-Canon and boring), but after watching the Nak and Jay and reading some more stuff, I’m warming up to the 3.5 version of Contest Thunderdome.

Ideally, I’d be looking for 1:1 authenticity with the existing Hagah. If it don’t look like I could’ve gotten it out of a can in 2005, it ain’t getting my vote. Depending on my mood that may even reach the extent of “No armour or limb pieces from after 2005”, IDK.

(This is the primary trouble with Hagah canon contests. By their very nature, they have to be slim variations on an already very narrow theme, which is dull, but opening it for more variance just destroys the entire point of them being canon contests)

I’ve seen a lot of people trying to science their way to a set of dimensions for a custom torso, with exact measurements of the original torso block that must be adhered to in order to qualify as a “Metru build”. But like… just use the danged torso block?

Literally the last thing we need is to end up with five standard Metru Torso designs and then one dude with mostly the same proportions but a distractingly over-greebled torso.

So yeah, if I can change my vote up-top then put me down for 3.5 Contest Thunderdome. And a hard “Must use the Metru Torso Block” rule on all MOC entries.

9 Likes

You can change your vote, by clicking “see vote.”

4 Likes

The Pouks and Gaaki would work. There’s maybe a bit too much extra armour, but I believe it would fit with the Hagah build-wise.

To me though, the other two are getting a bit close to the complex greebling that some people have been concerned about.

The reason Pouks and Gaaki work is because, where the original Hagah use one armour piece, they replace it with two. On Kualus and Bomonga though, there are some places with three or four new pieces, and some of them are different colours.

I wouldn’t immediately disqualify them, but they’re definitely pushing the limit (to me).

I almost agree with this. The one thing stopping me from agreeing is Purple Onewa. If you define the entry requirements by exact dimensions, then Purple Onewa doesn’t qualify, despite overwhelming agreement (I think?) that it is a Metru build, or at least a Metru-style build.

Purple Onewa shows that there’s more to the look than just dimensions. As a more extreme example, I could construct a perfectly rectangular block with balljoints sticking out at the right points to match the dimensions. That doesn’t mean it’ll match the Hagah and/or Metru aesthetic.

2 Likes

I quote the excellent Ghid Rules because I do:

Technically, since it uses the Metru gearbox, it does have the right dimensions. Just in an unconventional orientation.

I’ll admit I was purposefully vague when I said “approximate dimensions”, I haven’t decided what should or shouldn’t be in the approximation. I think I would personally need to see it on a case by case basis.

Forgot about this part.

Although if the final decision is going to be in the hands of TTV, I don’t really see the need to have a hard scale in the first place.

That’s unironically a pretty nice moc tho

Now feast your eyes upon… The God of Quads, the Pink Pimp, the Champion of the People,

LORD POUKS

Screen Shot 2021-03-13 at 9.40.01 PM
Just glancing at his geode armor can turn boys into men

14 Likes

Several points I’d like to broach that I haven’t heard discussed in the Nak & Jay or read in the document:

1: Will there be a rule that stipulates the use of symmetrical pauldrons? Personally, I see no reason to have such a rule, but some might, and it’s a point that should probably be mulled over.

2: One of the points made in the podcast is that damage to discontinued parts is excluded. In that case, are metalic colors besides silver & gold not allowed, since, if a drawing of Bomunga with matalic purple parts wins, it would require the painting of a Hagah shield to build it physically? There are obviously work arounds, such as painting a 3-D printed reproduction. For that reason, I think new colors should be fine. But, it should still be discussed.

3: If winning art features a new mask shape, can the artist suggest what power it should correspond to? Even if it doesn’t become concrete canon, it could be included in the trivia section of BS01. For instance, if a Kualis drawing with a mask shape intended to be an unmuted or noble Mask of Mutation, the trivia section for that mask could include an image of said winning art with a note that it’s one artist’s idea for what that could look like.

4: It’s been said that a hyper-non-purist MOC cannot be entered as a sculpture. But, what if someone made a sculpture out of metal/plastic/wood/etc, made to resemble the Bionicle parts? I would be in favor of them being eligible as 3D art, which is allowed.

I would also like to note that non-immoral masks worn by Makuta (like the aforementioned Mask of Mutation) should probably be eligible, since, during the careers of the Hagah, Makuta were still generally considered honorable, and there’s nothing to imply the “past heroes” were all Toa anyway.

(Apologies if these points were discussed earlier, I haven’t had a chance to read all 1300+ posts.

I’ve just realized, this entire discussion is the Bionicle equivalent of Diogenes throwing a plucked chicken and saying “Behold, a man!”

Discussions on taxonomy can and have gone on indefinitely. Of course this discussion needs to be had, but I am curious when it will be called.

4 Likes

See this discussion has gone on so long that we’ve even come back to the same witty commentaries.

6 Likes

I believe that the logic on that is that paint can be removed, hence why they forbid dyeing parts.

Would be way too big to fit a Hagah moc.

1 Like

The only version of a Mask of Mutation we have is, ironically enough, mutated/shapeshifted. We have no basic appearance of it.

1 Like

If a new mask shape wins, it can be headcanoned as a shelek, or Felnas, or whatever. That’s the best we can get, I fear, since we don’t know what those masks look like unmutated.

Wow, it is crazy to think just how much people have written on this subject in this single thread. I could download this thread, feed it into the Botnik AI, and create the ultimate Bionicle fan.

Anyways, I think the “immorality” of masks is unrelated to the fact that they are worn by Makuta. There’s several immoral masks that aren’t worn by makuta, like the Tryna. Given that, I don’t think they should use immoral masks.

Also, if they did have “immoral” mask shapes, they likely would have changed them after rebelling from makuta. Given that we haven’t heard anything in story about them changing mask shapes, I think we can assume they didn’t.

3 Likes

There’s nothing in canon to suggest masks can be reshaped once forged (with the unique case of the Ignika, or transformation like Matoran to Toa)

I mean, they literally would have discarded their old mask and replaced it with a new one. I would imagine that after they rebelled, they are the last people who’d want to associate themselves with the makuta.

Just because the Makuta are evil doesn’t mean you stop honouring a past hero.

It’s irrelevant anyway, we don’t have shapes for any of the Makuta masks.

2 Likes