Toa Hagah Canon Contest Ruleset Feedback

Yes, there will be a topic for that, on Saturday at the soonest (but probably later).

1 Like

Okie. Just asking

2 Likes

I think the suggested rules for the most part strike a good balance between consistency and creativity. That said I do think there’s a few points that needed clarification, most of which have already been addressed.

My question is around the use of extra torso pieces. I’ve seen a couple of comments asking about that and so far I don’t think they’ve been addressed.

Meme builds are obviously not ok, but I’ve been working on a Bomonga (based roughly on the rule suggestions from the previous thread) that uses torsos as shoulder pieces. I’m really happy with how it’s turning out and I think it looks pretty consistent with the Hagah and metru builds overall:

For reference here’s a comparison against Iruini
Toa Hagah
The shoulders are obviously bulkier, but I’ve made him a little shorter to compensate (still taller than whenua).

Would this sort of thing be acceptable as an entry? I’d also be keen to hear opinions around the metallic armour placement (I tried to make him feel like he had a gold ‘core’)

2 Likes

I think he needs a bit more; you’ve limited the metallic armour on his chest and shoulders, and completely eliminated it from the feet.

There’s not much you can do with the shoulders without making them bulkier than they already are, but the feet and chest could be made metallic.

As for the build itself, I don’t mind it. My only complaint is that elbows look a little awkward, but I’m not sure how to do it any differently.

3 Likes

So, I’ve noticed the conversation on masks has not touched on things like hero factory and glatorian helmets, as well as G2 masks, are those allowed? And if so, should artists be able to change them in the final artwork?

Also, I think we should not restrict the metallic armor to just the thighs. Also, speaking of that rule, you said that they can’t be anywhere else, but do all of those sections have to be metallic? I especially think we should not mandate the mask to be metallic, but it should be changed to metallic in the final artwork. Those are just my thoughts.

2 Likes

considering that Eljay said that any Hagah mocs with thunder thighs will be disqualified, I don’t think that this would be allowed.

1 Like

Yeah I understand that. Ol’ Thunderthighs was considered a meme entry though so would have been DQed on that basis anyway. Shoulders are about the only other place you could put an extra torso on a Metru build and have it be remotely visually consistent, but I admit I’m biased there :upside_down_face:

Now that I’ve done a proper render I’ll definitely be tweaking the gold (it’s much more vivid in Studio’s editor)

yeah this was the cleanest way I’ve found so far to attach the lower arms and still allow the Hagah-styled wrist joints.

I appreciate the idea but I think its a bit much for a standard Metru, personally

I ain’t afraid of no Loowah.

2 Likes

I’m going to make an uncomfortable statement which I’d like people to keep in mind.

Undoubtedly there are going to be a number of extremely basic, limb-swapped Metru builds as entries for the Hagah contest. I will not be voting for any of them.

If we’re sticking with the Metru build - and the TTV cast seems determined to do so - I am only going to vote for the entries that creatively work within the limitations. I expect certain members like Kodiak and WholesomeGadunka will take that to their extreme, and I highly anticipate their entries to be exceptional - even for them. So keep that in mind, that I’m likely not alone in that opinion, and that there will already be hundreds of people submitting the same kind of entry, so try to spice your entries up if you want to stay ahead of the crowd.

also wow I didn’t take long at all

5 Likes

Mask of Emulation? What Mask of Emulation? Nothing to see here folks, I am just a regular custom mask cruising by here with no Mask of Emulation or whatever on me.
cowboycustommask

16 Likes

Yeahhhhh! I mean, what even is a mask of emulation? I’ve never heard of anything like that.

True. But after 15 years of people having a conniption over Norik’s mask not being its proper shape, I’d figure people would want to stop the reverse from happening for another 15 years :woman_shrugging:

Is it bad I think that looks pretty good?

Huh. The more you know.

Also, just generally throwing this out there: we don’t know how well known Jovan’s team’s actions are/were to the wider universe. Could be it was basically just known to those on the mission, plus or minus Artakha and some Order agents. Of course the effects of it happening would be probably obvious to the wider universe, but the specifics of what happened might not be known (supported by how little-known the location of the Ignika is by the present day). Not saying that Jovan or old Olmak-face couldn’t be honored for other actions they did, but specifically the Ignika mission wouldn’t be it. And in the case of Olmak-face, for all we know they hardly used the Olmak, and had different Kanohi for their primary, secondary, and even tertiary options. And of course the obvious rebuttal to everything I just said is “But it could be well-known,” and, yeah, you’re right. I was just throwing this out there.

On a slightly more (very very slightly) serious note:

Based on the rules, it appears there doesn’t seem to be any sort of boundaries established regarding custom masks that LOOK like supposed banned masks, but are not necessarily the banned mask itself. Here are a couple of examples:

corruptionpngsh
crastmakutapngsh

These masks LOOK like the supposed banned masks, but are NOT the actual banned mask since these have never been officially canonized in any way. If you’re going to use the label of the mask as a way to disqualify them, the names of the mask can simply be changed to something else.

So where are the boundaries when it comes to these custom masks that LOOK like the banned masks but are not actually the banned mask itself? How far of a drastic change do the masks need to be in order for them to not be banned? Similar issue arises with the Mask of Emulation. How far of a change does it need to be to conform with the rules?

I know a ton of MOCists (who already built Toa Pouks for this contest) who are confused and frustrated right now because they had to toss their CUSTOM Mask of “Emulation” out the window due to the banned masks rule.

9 Likes

When I first made it, I thought it was absolutely ridiculous, but to be honest, the more I look at it, the more I don’t mind it. I still think though that it’s absurd to ban custom builds but not this.

However, I’m still against the use of any and all Makuta masks, immoral or not.

Oh, no, I definitely think that should be banned for the Hagah contest. But on its own merits I think it looks great, maybe like a wendigo or something.

1 Like

I still don’t understand why some of those masks are banned. The Makuta masks I get, since they’re shapeshifted, but I don’t get why a mask should be banned based on whether it’s immoral or not. As I said earlier,

1 Like

I tried and tried making that point but I think TTV has thoroughly sided against it so I’m not sure its worth pursuing anymore, regardless if that point has merit or not.

This isn’t exactly a fair comparison.

The problem with Norik’s mask is the confusion from having the wrong shape, while the “problem” with this hypothetical mask just wouldn’t have a known power.

A better “reverse” comparison would be the fact that we don’t know what the true shape of the Pehkui is, which is something that is much less controversial.

Gray area in the rules aside, there’s also the point made by Wolk:

If these masks were used, they would canonically become not the originally-designed Kanohi; if your standard “Jutlin” wins, it becomes canonically barred from being the Jutlin.

Now, if you’re okay with that, then I guess that’s that.

(But actually, would you be okay with that? I’ve been meaning to ask for a while; I want to use your “Mask of Psychometry” if I can get my hands on one, but I wasn’t sure if you’d be okay with your design being used as something other than the intended design.)

Plus, at the end of the day, it should be pretty easy to tell if an mask was made in good faith; I find it hard to believe that someone would honestly, accidentally, without-any-outer-influence, create a custom mask that looks similar enough to a banned mask to cause a problem.

Given how much the Toa care about their public appearance, I wouldn’t be surprised if they’d be against their mask even appearing to be immoral.

3 Likes

If the mask is immoral and wouldn’t be used by a Toa, then who could the Hagah possibly be honoring with a mask in its likeness?

3 Likes