Toa Hagah Canon Contest Survey and Final Q&A

This isn’t a Hagah-specific question, but this is the closest thing to a contest discussion at present, and it’s currently very quiet.

I just wanted to suggest It might be appropriate to bump Nidhiki’s contest closer or even next after Tuyet, since he’s linked with Tuyet and Lariska story-wise.

3 Likes

Hey all, it’s been about a month since I last stopped by, just curious about the current state of communication with Greg and how things have changed.

Currently, I do still plan to enter with a few of my Hagah designs, despite the greebling criticisms given to me by a couple members last month (which boiled down, to me, to yet more of that pulverized goop that used to be a dead horse referred to as ‘the definition of a Metru/Hagah in the confines of the contest’). I refuse to simply make a copy-pasted, colorswapped Hagah. That’s just not going to happen. That defeats the purpose of having any kind of moccing portion, at all. And if the limitations on what is allowed end up disqualifying my mocs, then I’m okay with that.

That said, I’m hoping that we can eventually reach a conclusion that gives moccists a bit of wiggle room and makes for a fairly competitive contest, overall.

-Arc

7 Likes

I wanted to ask too, about the current state of rules. Basically:
What rules are set in stone?
What rules are to be discussed here?
What rules will be decided after Greg’s answer?
How will be contests held (consecutively, simulatenously, same for polls…)?
I mean, there is main post, but I believe that info is already outdated…
If any of those are dumb, I am sorry, just wanted to hear something about contests again…

7 Likes

Prediction: The canon contests will resume after BIONICLE day, because that’s the only time anyone will be able to contact Greg.

3 Likes

But that’s in freaking August

1 Like

Counter prediction: Greg couldn’t provided a solid answer and they are now dealing with the aftermath

I guess this discourse answers my question :sweat_smile:

It’ll happen when it happens. They initially wanted it optimistically to happen at the end of the initial Hagah thread, but that obviously didn’t happen.

Honestly hope they take their time cause this is all I got so far

And still don’t know what to do for the heads.

11 Likes

That feels very overly detailed for a hagah

9 Likes

Honestly I didn’t think it was enough. Considering all the amazing metru mocs I’ve seen lately I figured I should at least attempt to make it somewhat custom.

4 Likes

From what I’ve seen, on all of the detailed Hagah Mocs, people commented about how it was a good looking moc, but that they wouldn’t vote for it.

I generally share that sentiment, and imagine that it’ll be a very common comment in this particular contest.

17 Likes

Hello there!
Hoping I’m doing this right - I just came across the Hagah Contest Ruleset, and I find it to be very reasonable. While I tried to read as many comments as possible, I couldn’t find anything that adressed these two questions (sorry if I missed something!)

1. The list includes every banned G1 mask + HF 2.0 and 3.0 helmets, but what about HF Villain helmets? Could they potentially be unknown Kanohi we’ve never heard of, or are they banned too?
  2. When a mask appears in the list, does that mean that a MOC or single-Toa artwork using it will be automatically disqualified, or does it mean that it could be used as a placeholder - provided, of course, that it is changed in the group artwork? (fx a silver Kaukau Nuva)

Those are my two main concerns - I’m assuming the Ignika form on the back of Vezon’s head is also banned, as it appears on the BS01 Ignika page. Otherwise, I’m looking forward to the contests starting! Thanks to TTV for doing these - I have a lot of respect for the job you’re doing, you must really love reading :sweat_smile:, and thanks to anyone who can answer these questions!

1 Like

As of right now, this is allowed. Of course, nothing is really final yet.

2 Likes

@TheJerminator Ah, thanks for enlighenting me! :star_struck:

Well, now that I found out where to talk about the Hagah contests, I’d like to chime in on a quote by @b6i6o6:

I had the same thoughts actually, and after a lot of thinking, I think that it could definitely make sense, both from a comics, sets and storyline perspective! You mentioned the first of these in your post, so I’ll elaborate on the second one:

I don’t think that Lego would necessarily make an even distribution of colors if they had made the Toa Hagah as a wave of sets - there are a number of existing waves in which it seems like focus was on designing the coolest color scheme for each indiviual character, rather than a “team color scheme” (and nothing wrong with that!) Some examples are the Inika’s chest armor (1 gold, 1,5 silver, 2 gunmetal, 1 black), the Mahri’s Kanohi (2 silver, 4 base-colored), the Uniters’ armor (3 silver, 2 gold, 1 gold AND silver), and even the Rhotuka spinners of the Rahaga themselves - so I don’t think there’s any reason for even color distribution to be found in previously released sets.
Story-wise, I also quite like the often-overlooked aspect of the Hagah that Iruini was unhappy with his team - and that he announced openly that he was going to leave it. So maybe the dark-golden armor was used to denote his new status as a “former elite Toa”? Maybe it symbolized the completion of his duty? Or maybe Norik and co. gave it to him as a farewell gift? There could actually be a number of reasons for him sticking out!

2 Likes

Would something like this:

waist coatish thing be allowed?

2 Likes

For a minute I thought you were talking about the jumper and I got really confused.

1 Like

Yeah a jumper is probably allowed but i will make it a brown one

1 Like

You could also attach an inverted 1x2 bow, if it comes in appropriate colors. Can’t remember, I only have them in light grey.

Ok but what piece is that? Maybe photo