Toa Hagah: the Makuta's Chosen (Bionicle Canon Contest #3: Honor Guard)

Here’s my take on the Toa Hagah. I tried to go for designs that would closely resemble actual sets, and that wouldn’t look out of place next to Iruini and Norik, or even next to other Toa Teams. I feel like I was able to strike a good balance between creativity and uniformity with these mocs. This was my first time using Stud.io, but all of the parts used are available in their colors, making them all buildable IRL without any issue.

(front)

(right)

(back)

(left)

TOA GAAKI

(entry photo)

(breakdown photo)

TOA BOMONGA

(entry photo)

(breakdown photo)

TOA KUALUS

(entry photo)

(breakdown photo)

TOA POUKS

(entry photo)

(breakdown photo)

Height

Here’s a link to the .io files for all the Hagah, including the group shot of all 6.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1WgQez0VtjNUSL98eCR_V0GlU8uZCiS9A?usp=sharing

Also, I think I needed to get the rhotuka spinner from elsewhere, since it wasn’t in stud.io or the biopack. Pretty sure I got the rhotuka from here. https://www.bricklink.com/v3/studio/design.page?idModel=108645

I give consent for my mask to be altered in the final group art if the artist chooses: (Yes*)
I give consent for my metallic color choice to be altered in the final group art if the artist chooses: (Yes*)
I give consent for my spear tip to be altered in the final group art if the artist chooses: (Yes*)

*I want to make sure that these are buildable IRL. If you change the armor color, mask, or spear tip, the parts used need to be available in the new colors. (Custom masks or spear pieces are fine since they’ll need to be painted anyway)

21 Likes

Very nice custom armoring: its not too bulky, complex, or out of place but remains unique for each one. As well, your choice of spear ends is well-fitting to scale. Good job, and good luck.

1 Like

Can’t say I didn’t think Kualus was a toa of light at first.

Gaaki:
I’ve grown to like that Shoulder armor, I’ve seen at least one other entry do that, and I think it works well. Chest plate looks a little wierd, because of the side parts on the bottom, it’s like she has an expoced rib cage or something.

Bomonga:
Ah, yes, I see you went with the Lhikan Hau. Actually, I don’t think the Avohkii works as well as shoulder armor, because it has a lot of open space that the Metru leg doesn’t fill much of. Also, that light grey bushing really bothers me, I think this might be a case where an open axle looks better (besides, the Avohkii chin half-covers it anyway.

Kualus.
Shoulder armor feels too skinny, and leaves the open socket at the top exposed. Not a big fan of Hordika legs, but I can accept it.

Pouks:
I really like the drill shoulders.

Not entirely.
On Kualus, the spear and shoulders don’t exist in FDG, and the shield doesn’t come in pearl. so there isn’t a way to build Kualus with only one metallic.

Kualus is a bit minimalistic with his armor, but I like the sleeker look that the spiked, smaller shoulder armor and spear give him. The ball joints are unfortunate, but something I was willing to sacrifice for the more angular look.

I did use pearl gold instead of flat dark gold in the renders. They’re both gold colors, so I figured it was close enough. It might stick out more in a physical build, but its something else I had to sacrifice since there aren’t very many flat dark gold parts, and many of the parts that are fdg that I would have liked to use, like the knights kingdom armor, aren’t available in studio.

Thanks for the feedback!

Love the idea of some of these shoulders, good luck

2 Likes

Ok gotta admit, the parts usage for Kualus’ shoulders is genius!

1 Like

Nice work!

1 Like