Toa Helryx (The First Canon Contest Entry)

Re: your comment about the boobs being an asset to the MOC: I think with the style of MOC you’re making, it was kind of to be expected, but having that strong of assets seems to be contrary to the canon aesthetics, which turned out to be the deciding factor in the past two rounds. My most common criticism with Nuvaboobs is that, nine times out of ten, they are extremely rounded pieces that are slapped on a build with the more piston-y G1 aesthetic everywhere else. That criticism still applies here. Even Roodaka, who had the most prominent feminine features of all the sets, used slightly flatter pieces with slightly more detail, giving the illusion of it being proper armor over her figure. If it were a CCBS-based build with a lot more rounded armor pieces, as long as the design was integrated into the build rather than an addendum, I wouldn’t have a problem with it, unless it was so large that it would be a danger to her stability or structural integrity (as some of my friends can attest to.)

Also, just for future reference, next time you should link to a folder with the photos of the MOC in question, if not embed the ones you want people to see here. As it is you have a link to your Flickr, and I had to scroll down a bit to see the MOC.

3 Likes

Yeah I can agree with you on your points here. not to sound like a perv but I would like to see a canon female moc just be more feminine simply because I think it expresses the fact that it is a female better . But I agree there are more subtle ways to do that.
Also Didn’t expect you to actually take the time to check out my moc though. Am not the best with figuring out the ins and outs of computer or web sites features. I mostly just do what I can. But Iam learning. And thanks for not really chewing me up on my comment. Kind of expected you to.

2 Likes

For a MOC of this scale, you might be better served by using a pair of Metru shoulder plates for each breast; it’ll be roughly the same scale but those pieces have a bit more BIONICLE-y detail to them. For smaller, set-size MOCs, Nuva chestplates and Inika shoulders are the most common ways to imply a feminine figure without going overboard. For something slightly larger in the same scale, I’ve also got some mileage out of using a pair of angled Metru chests or a pair of the smallest size CCBS shell.

And yeah, while I’m not really a fan of this approach, at this point in my life it’s not worth arguing whether it’s the “right way” or “wrong way”, aside from it being implemented not as well as it could be. It is simply a hobby, after all.

1 Like