Toa Kumu Toa Mangai of The Green

Hi everyone! This is my take on the Toa Mangai of Plant Life, or The Green, Kumu. He is known to have resided in Ga-Metru, wore a Mask of Healing, and likely died at the claws of Eliminator on orders of the false Turaga Dume.

For his design, I wanted to combine a rarely seen combo of ‘classic’ green and Metru blue, and I am rather pleased with how his mask came out. I was inspired to make him a bulkier, stocky Toa, as I feel we rarely saw Elements outside of Earth and Stone represented in such way. I gave him twin blades to mimic melee weapons that might be at home in a jungle.

Also, credit to @Galva_Nize for the Mask of Healing.

Hope you like him!

29 Likes

ah neat, i like the more bulky design and the custom legs are pretty cool!
also i love the mask

4 Likes

@Rhyla416 Thanks a lot! The legs are probably the strongest point of this build for me, so glad you noticed.

4 Likes

The color contrast is very pleasing to the eye and I do think the mask turned out very well. My favorite detail is the use of the Lehvak shield. Takes me back to the tropical days of Mata Nui, and frankly, asymmetry lends itself better to the Plantlife visual than symmetry would have. Nice job

3 Likes

@Wekua Appreciate the praise! I wanted to utilize that subtle asymmetry, as it, like you said, fits his Element well. While I think there are more interesting builds for this guy that lean heavily into that design choice, I’ve never really thought that a Toa, even of The Green, would look more organic than mechanical.
Thanks again!

3 Likes

Well there’s always Kongu and Matoro from 2007

4 Likes

@The_Blue_Panda Fair point! Admittedly, I was using blinders, thinking really only about pre 2005 Toa, but you are correct. I never really understood the choice to make Kongu so broad, honestly.

3 Likes

He needed to be the rebel with the big guns, and Matoro needed to be the guy without self-confidence (which is my HC for why he had a hunched stature)

4 Likes

@The_Blue_Panda Lol at the Kongu, and a good HC moment for Matoro. In older literature, it used to be a trope to give evil figures a hunch, and I remember in early 2007, they were teasing Matoro’s struggle between good and evil, so it fit him dually well.

3 Likes

Woah, how’d you build those legs for Lhikan?

3 Likes

@Toa-Panem I’ll send you a PM with the breakdown this evening.

It doesn’t use any illegal techniques per se, but it does require some system pieces. Thanks for noticing!

3 Likes

Don’t know why but he’s giving me karzani vibes.

3 Likes

@Droconis I can see that. Both are a bit hunched in their design, and some have built Karzahni with a similar color scheme.

4 Likes