Toa Mangai, the legendary protectors of Metru Nui (Remake)

Here is my new interpretation of the whole Toa Mangai Team.

Lhikan, Toa of Fire

Weapons: Great Fire Swords

Tuyet, Toa of Water

Weapons: Barbed Broadsword+Nui Stone

Some poses

A Turnaround
Tuyet

Nidhiki, Toa of Air

Weapon: Air Scythe

Some poses

A turnaround
Nidhiki

Naho, Toa of Water

Weapon: Aquatic Bow

Some poses

A turnaround
Naho, Toa of Water

Hura, Toa of Ice

Weapons: Ice sword+Kanoka Disk Launcher

Some poses

A turnaround
Hura, Toa of Ice

Mafa, Toa of Ice

Weapon: Ice Bardiche

Some poses

A turnaround
Mafa, Toa of Ice

Fau, Toa of Ice

Weapons: Ice Blades

Some poses

A turnaround
Fau, Toa of Ice

Pala, Toa of Ice

Weapons: Ice Axe+Rhotuka Shield

Some poses

A turnaround
Pala, Toa of Ice

Motara, Toa of Stone

Weapons: Rock Khopesh

Some poses

A turnaround
Motara, Toa of Stone

Marn, Toa of Earth

Weapon: Seismic Mace

Some poses

A turnaround
Marn, Toa of Earth

Kanae, Toa of Plantlife

Weapons: Spike Claws

Some poses

A turnaround
KanaeToaofPlantlife-ezgif.com-optimize

Trivia

-All the non named Toa are named after Mata Nui location:
Hura-Mafa flow
Fau swamp
Lake Pala
Motara Desert
Marn tunnel
Kanae Bay

-Fau has been chosen to be the Rhodes wearer, because “Faux” means wrong in French, ironic for a wearer of the mask of truth.

-The kanohi Rongoa, the mask of healing is based on a medicinal plant, the betel to have more attachement to its owner, a toa of plantlife

-The claws have been given to Kanae because this is a common weapon for animals, and that makes him closer from nature as such.

Stud.io files and breakdown photos

Nidhiki - Google Drive
Toa Tuyet - Google Drive
Naho - Google Drive
Hura - Google Drive
Mafa - Google Drive
Fau - Google Drive
Pala - Google Drive
Motara - Google Drive
Marn - Google Drive
Kanae - Google Drive

Custom Parts

The Champions [MASK PACK #4] by Galva - Thingiverse
Great Mask of Intangibility by KhingK - Thingiverse
Bionicle Toa Tuyet's Barbed Broadsword by Scmdex - Thingiverse
Bionicle Nui stone by Scmdex - Thingiverse
Bionicle Toa Nidhiki's Air Scythe by Scmdex - Thingiverse
[Outdated] Great Huna (axle) (Naho Variant) (7D3HN42NP) by Galva_bot
Bionicle Toa Naho's Aquatic Bow by Scmdex - Thingiverse
Great Calix Mata Style by Rothanak - Thingiverse
Lego Knights' Kingdom Vladek's Sword Prototype by Scmdex - Thingiverse
Bionicle Dragon Slayer Sword (Berserk) by Scmdex - Thingiverse
Bionicle Toa Nikila's Hips Armor by Scmdex - Thingiverse
Great Mask of Conjuring by KhingK - Thingiverse
Bionicle Mangai Bardiche by Scmdex - Thingiverse
Bionicle Shoulder Armor Pack (Metru style) by Scmdex - Thingiverse
Bionicle Mangai Axe + Labrys by Scmdex - Thingiverse
Bionicle Mangai Khopesh by Scmdex - Thingiverse
Bionicle Elemental Greaves (VNOG) by Scmdex - Thingiverse
Bionicle Mangai Mace by Scmdex - Thingiverse
Bionicle Toa Inika Feet Pack (VNOG) by Scmdex - Thingiverse
Bionicle Kanohi Rongoa, Mask of Healing by Scmdex - Thingiverse
Bionicle Mangai Claw by Scmdex - Thingiverse

My Stud.io Pack: Scmdex Pack - Google Drive

I hope you will appreciate these models. Every constructive suggestions to enhance the models are welcome

15 Likes

I am forever plagued with thinking only of locations on Mata Nui when I read off the names of the Mangai…

hey theres the obvious one

Nice moc lineup though

4 Likes

I like the custom weapon designs here, cool mocs

4 Likes

Update:

I decided to update Naho. However, after I saw Galva’s new mask of direction, I’m not sure which mask to choose between it and the Huna.

Which one is the best for you ?

3 Likes

I personally use the Huna for mine but I think most people do, so it might be a bit more unique using Galva’s

4 Likes

I also like the Huna from a conceptual standpoint. It was already briefly canonized as her mask, and her having a Huna could help explain how she snuck out of Metru Nui during the Toa-Dark Hunter War.

4 Likes

I am also a staunch Huna supporter

3 Likes

Nice MOCs! I especially like the Toa of Earth and Plantlife. I like how the Toa of Earth has bulky proportions yet not too bulky (like Toa Bomonga). The Toa Mangai of Plantlife looks great as well! Love the green details and claw-like weapons. Amazing shoulders too! Lastly, the Toa Tools you gave them rock, in particular those from Naho and all four of the Toa of Ice!

The only things I would point out would be the somewhat oversized Nui Stone, Naho’s color scheme (blue and gold makes me think psionics), Fau’s color scheme (too much black) and that Pala looks more like an alternate (and in my opinion better) Toa Kualus.

Nevertheless: great job!

4 Likes

Correct me if I’m wrong, but the Huna was the winner of a contest organized by BZpower to determine her mask, and the reason you gave were invocated to justify it. However, it is pretty confusing if it is canon or not.

After reflexion, I think I will keep the Huna. Thanks for the feedback :+1:

3 Likes

Thank you.

Concerning Nui Stone, its size is due to a technological limitation. This piece was made for 3d print in the first place, and to allow people to print it whatever the machine used, the details must not be too small. The size you see is the minimum I’ve obtained to allow to print the Great spirit symbol with an ender3 V2 for a layer thickness of 0.05 mm.

For Naho, I tried to create a similar color skin to Lhikan, but in blue instead of red to give a link between them. I’ll try other nuance of color to see if I obtain better results.

For Fau, according to Biosector01, Ko matoran can wear black armor, so Toa as well. Considering no toa of ice with black armor has been seen in the story, it was a good opportunity for me to create one.

Finally, for Pala, you are right, there is similarity between him an Kualus. Perhaps it is due to the rhotuka shield and the long axe that reminds of a spear. I’ll see if a custom shield could change a bit.

In any case, thank you for the feedback :+1:

3 Likes

What happened is that one day, seemingly out of the blue, a community member asked Greg to canonize that Naho wore a Huna and carried a warhammer for a weapon. Greg agreed to this, and it became canon. However, the rest of the community generally responded negatively to this, as they felt that such a thing should be decided by a community poll, or not canonized at all. In response to this backlash, that same community member asked Greg to rescind the canonization, which he did, once more leaving Naho’s mask and tools unknown.

Then, later on, there was a BZPower poll organized to vote on Naho’s Kanohi, and there are posts from around that time stating that the Huna was in the lead. However, the poll was never officially concluded, nor were any results ever sent to Greg, due to a sitewide issue that BZPower encountered in 2011.

Original Canonization
Backlash
Decanonization
Announcement Of The Finalists
Discussion Of The Incomplete Poll

5 Likes

Thank for these precisions :+1:

4 Likes

Finally, here is my new Naho

3 Likes

how did you make that body for marn

2 Likes