toa mistika/phantoka with nuva masks

i have long maintained that i didnt like how often the toa and other characters changed looks. i know the reason and its to sell new sets but from a storytelling standpoint, having them always change looks was kinda jarring and makes it hard to connect or relate to them; i mean back in the day when these sets came out i had no idea they were emant to be the mata/nuva because of how different they looked. And bionicle is def not the only series to do this too. so i always thought the toa mistika/phantoka should have kept their nuva masks. now i could be wrong about that working but was hoping some members could upload some cool pics of these sets with the nuva masks to see how they look and if it would have worked.

6 Likes

It’s not exactly what you’re looking for but you may appreciate these- https://www.bzpower.com/topic/31516-tahu-nuva-mistika-studio-revamp/

2 Likes

Look nice but the hyper complexity is a bit too jarring for me.

2 Likes

I don’t have the sets, so I did some renders:

Not too bad in my opinion

8 Likes

They look pretty good, though some of the masks seem a little small (which makes sense, since they were designed for figures half the size).

Tahu and Pohatu look fine, though.

(Onua’s red shield is also a nice touch)

3 Likes

I think the idea of mask is you can change it at will. So you will when presented with opportunity.

1 Like

yes, thank you, those do look amazing like i thought. the nuva masks work fine and dont look too big due to the larger bodies. this would have been a perfect look and they would not have looked off. wish this is what we got from the sets

3 Likes

Here are some renders showcasing some masks designed by Galva, which sort of bridge the gap between the 2008 and 2001/2002 masks, and few mods (some of which were inspired by @CalamitousT 's versions of the characters)

7 Likes

those masks are at least a bit less jarring(i still find the “ears” on gali’s mask ridiculous)

2 Likes

Look much better but a few flaws.

They don’t have their official toa nuva colors, Lewa and Pohatu’s color are just the worst offenders
Onua’s flying equipment being red, trans green could work better like his original eyes.
All of them are share the same trans lime color
Tahu’s mistika weapon could be better if you used tahnok kal’s shield (it looks lie fire) and the orange hero factory electricity/flames.
Gali should not use inika legs as arms.

2 Likes

Er… he said

…

2 Likes

Are you aware that everything you listed is part of the official sets?

5 Likes

why should they? these are adaptive armor toa nuva and those are the colors of the adaptive armor. Even when not adapted to anything thats how they would be colored. 2002 colors would actualy not be the official colors in this case

3 Likes

For the same reason they have masks resembling the 2002 masks.

3 Likes

I just hate the adaptive color choices.
I can understand brown colors weren’t selling well but legacy characters should have their 2002/2003 colors.
Gali and Onua’s bodybuilder and lanky bodies could have been swapped.

2 Likes

You realize that already wasnt the case before the phantoka/mistika lines right? the only other characters that reappeared from that time dont have that either

most characters with multiple iterations have wildly different colors. calling that a design flaw here seems rather weird

3 Likes

Just because something happens multiple times doesn’t mean it makes sense. Keeping the colours the same through a transformation helps us see that it’s the same character.

Now, despite what I just said, it doesn’t apply here; I actually like the change of colour for the 2008 Toa Nuva. While I have issues with virtually every other change that was made to the characters’s appearances, the colour makes sense; they’re getting entirely new armour, after all.

The changes in 2008 were kind of the opposite of every other transformation. Other transformations involve drastic physical changes (Toa to Turaga, Toa Hordika, etc.), so the changes in physique make sense, while the changes in colour don’t. In 2008, however, the Toa only replaced their layers of armour; they should have looked more-or-less the same in terms of shaping, while the changes in colour are a good way to really highlight the new armour.

4 Likes