Toa Tuyet, The Special Edition Traitor (DuckBricks' Fanon Contest)

Update:
Edited for DuckBricks’ fanon contest.
The armor color is a solid color for easier replicability (though if someone wishes to build this, the translucent/glowing Takadox color would be better) and the air saber is a placeholder for the drawn sword.

Entry photo:

As the title suggests, I intended this moc to look like a special edition set. Lhikan became one during 2004 and Nidhiki almost became a sp. edition in 2005. So, why not Tuyet as well given that she is part of the Mangai too?
That’s why I included glow in the dark pieces like Nocturn (another sp. edition set) had in 2007 because she debuted in that year. My second reason for choosing this color is the translucent parts they have in certain areas that could be interpreted as how she looks while using the mask of intangibility. And the third is that their glow could be a way to show the power of the Nui Stone irradiating from her. By the way, that’s the same reason why she has Piraka eyes instead of the regular Metru ones.

At first glance, she might look like another Metru build, but I replaced the Metru torso with a custom one made with Slizer heads (inspired from RiderBD’s Toa Orde).
So, you could say she’s like a Metru build, but at the same time, she’s something else. And unlike Metru builds, she has articulation in the shoulders.
I made her look like this on purpose to fit with Lhikan without depending on the Metru torso (this custom build could also solve the problem with the lack of black torsos).

I also tried to make it as purist friendly as possible, but this moc still needs some paint for the Mahri shoulders and the Vorox armor.

The mask was modeled by Vahki6 and was originally made for Gaaki, but I believe it could have easily fitted Tuyet as well. My second choice was to use SpecterL’s mask to take this as a chance to canonize it’s power, but it would have made her look too evil. She’s supposed to look like any other toa, the difference is her personality, not appearance.

Some other choices like the inclusion Mata feet instead of Metru ones or the armor were to make her more different to Lhikan and other Metru builds because of coming from a different island.

This is the custom sword I came up with. Since it’s a free for all, it should be fine to include a drawn sword.

Breakdown photos
Torso:

Arms:

The Toa Mangai

Some scenes from the story:

(Reanimated by Matoro)

Tuyet trying to slash Helryx (ver.bu)

Link for the mask:

And finally, special thanks to KingSidorak for modeling the Hydruka backplate. If the contests were carried out, this moc may not have been part of it because of lacking it. But thanks to his piece, it was completed at the beginning of this year.

26 Likes

Wouldn’t it be impossible to match the translucency and glowiness of the Takadox armour parts with paint?

Aside from that, though, this model looks really good. I like the unique colour choices, and the overall design looks really good, especially next to Lhikan.

Good call on the light-up eyes as well.

3 Likes

very awseome
i would have voted for dat

2 Likes

Nice I like the use of translucent blue pieces

2 Likes

Very cool! I quite like the shoulder armour!

2 Likes

I love literally everything about this moc, from the premie to the color scheme, it’s just about amazing. I like that you chose the knockoff mask which Gaaki’s kanohi was based on. There’s been a headcanon going around that Tuyet wore that type of mask and it’s neat that you somewhat called back to it.

Those are physically impossible so I’d recommend commissioning a custom caster like Zion Tyro or Socketballs. If not then you could definitely buy a printed mask from TJsBazarr on etsy. I recently bought a mask with the same transparency and it’s amazing. Though I’d recommend only for the mask. Resin prints are a bit fragile and wouldn’t be fit for general parts usage.

2 Likes

I really like the use of the lighter blue for the armor! It looks pretty good.

2 Likes

I’ve always wanted a special edition traitor.

4 Likes

Thank you for your comment.

Wouldn’t it be impossible to match the translucency and glowiness of the Takadox armour parts with paint?

Regarding that color, I forgot to include in the post a suggestion of replacing it with a solid color for the sake of replicability since the original would be too difficult to achieve and it would require special resin and not just paint. The model would still have glow in the dark/translucent pieces, just not as many.

1 Like

I’m glad that you like so many things about my moc.

I didn’t know about this up until now, it just happened to be a coincidence.

The original idea was to replace them with solid color pieces for the sake of replicability (TTV would have most likely not allowed the resin ones since it’s complex to recreate).
I’ll check those options you’re suggesting, there weren’t many glow in the dark Bionicle pieces with this particular color. So it would be nice to have more recolors, not just the ones in my Tuyet.
And I’ll most likely just get the mask to start once I get the pieces to build her, not only because of your suggestion (which is something new for me and good to know), it’s probably expensive to get one these special resin pieces.

3 Likes

Update (not for the contest): I recently decided to test how SpecterL’s mask would look here, make the torso more stable and add a custom hip for meme purposes to increase the points of articulation.

9 Likes

So, Gaaki was honoring Tuyet?

I voted for yours! I hope it makes it through to the next round. I have no hope for mine. People like the other masks too much

3 Likes

If it makes you feel better, I voted for yours. You’ve made a really good mask design and added a motif which is something I wish more kanohi had.

Maybe it’s weird to say but Tuyet with Gaaki’s mask kind of looks prettier- and menacing too!

5 Likes

It’s a possibility since she was one of the toa who defeated the Kanohi Dragon, but I believe the Hagah are older than the Mangai (I’ll have to check that).

As long as you’re satisfied with your moc, I believe it’s fine. This contest is supposed to be just for fun, unlike the TTV ones that were more serious and had canon importance.
Even if there’s another winner, it’s still your Tuyet. Btw, I still believe you have one of the best custom built swords.

Thank you! I just checked the list and mine made it. I doubt she’ll pass to the finals, but I still had fun building this moc.

2 Likes

I was referring to Rothanak in both comments but I voted for yours too

4 Likes

Oh, I didn’t see the reply part, sorry for that

2 Likes

They’re not:

(Or at least the team isn’t. I suppose it’s possible, if not likely, that some of the individual Hagah could be older than the Toa Mangai, but we only care about when Gaaki got her mask.)

It is possible for Gaaki to be honouring Tuyet.

And it’s not like Gaaki knew about Tuyet’s villainy, since we also know that the Hagah banded together under Teridax before Tuyet’s betrayal:

6 Likes