Transformers Animated Horrorcons

Been a while, hasn’t it?

Today I bring you the big bads themselves. These are my take on the Animated Horrorcons. As most of you probably know, I did up an Apeface a few weeks back. However, we all knew that I had to finish the group. So, here they are! I’m really happy with how both of these turned out. At first glance, Apeface may seem like a straight up repost, but I actually changed him up a little bit based on criticism, namely his head. It’s much more cartoony and exaggerated now. As for Snapdragon, I’ll talk a little more in depth about him. I felt that he seemed really suited to a more lanky build. His colours were initially a little bit…intense? There wasn’t much flow, as I was basing it directly on the original toy. But, I did end up making it work, in my opinion. I also came up with a good way to incorporate them into the Animated story (which can open it up to the next project I’m thinking of…), so I’ll show that off too.

After the Great War, the Decepticons began experimenting with techo-organics. Inspired by Blackarachnia, the Decepticons believed that a warrior who was the perfect blend between technology and biology. Imagine it! A warrior who doesn’t need Energon to function, instead being powered by food and water. In times where Energon is scarce, it would give them an extreme advantage. Numerous tests were conducted, resulting in failure after gruesome failure. However, all the failures would be worth it when the first two successes came into existence. Apeface and Snapdragon were the first successful experiments. 3/4 machine, 1/4 organic, they were the perfect balance. Powered by food and water, but not restricted by organic weaknesses like sickness, fragility, or… expelling waste. They also possessed two alternate modes; one organic, and one mechanical However, due to their nature, they were looked down upon by other Decepticons, either by those who were biophobic or those who saw them as freaks of nature. Apeface and Snapdragon didn’t mind this however, cherishing the fear, disgust, and hatred they had garnered, even taking the slur most people called them as a sort of team name: The Horrorcons.

Apeface is a hard bot to get a read on. He’s very quiet by nature, speaking only when he has to. Add onto that his immense bulk and you have the making for a looming, intimidating bot. However, underneath all his stoicism is a violent monster of pure rage. A brutal presence on the battle field, any fight with Apeface can be simply labeled as a massacre. Yet, his unrelenting thirst for spilled Energon is kept in check by his loyalty. Apeface prefers to follow orders rather than give them. Some think it’s because he’s too stupid to think of anything on his own. Those bots don’t know him, as he’s actually quite intelligent. Those bots who also tend to lose a limb. And, as if the messages weren’t mixed enough regarding Apeface, in his spare time he enjoys reading poetry.

Snapdragon sees himself as the brains to Apeface’s brawn (Apeface is either too polite or doesn’t care enough to correct him). A devious and conniving bot, Snapdragon is always scheming. Whenever he meets some one new, he’s always looking for an opportunity to either con them or stab them in the back. He always has a plan to get out of any situation, no matter how sticky. He’s not particularly loyal, either, only staying with the Decepticons because he owes too many debts and has crossed too many mob bosses to make it on his own. He’s also too bossy for his own good, often barking orders at his superiors, then getting mad when no one listens too him. If he had things his way, he’d be in charge of the Decepticon army. However, judging by his track record, he’d either march them all into Iacon, make them surrender, and win a medal for ending the Decepticon menace, or march them off a cliff and laugh at their tumbling bodies

Edit: New Altmode Stuff!

24 Likes

These are great! I love the designs you’ve come up with.
I hope to see more!

1 Like

Awesome designs and an interesting backstory! I would have just thought that the headmaster process was just a way to prevent triple changers from having such volatile personalities.

1 Like

Oh! That would have been a good idea! I didn’t really make these guys headmasters, though

1 Like

Hey, you actually made him! Great work.

1 Like

I have been rewatching transformers animated… such a fun show, such a fun art style, speaking of which… you have captured the feel of “animated” very well!

2 Likes

Thank you very much!

Just curious… have you or will you do drawings of their alternate modes?

1 Like

Haven’t done them as of yet, but I might. Not really sure

If you want these characters to be part of black-arachnia’s predacon army… you should totally design some beastwars or R.I.D. predacons in the transformers animated style.

1 Like

Actually, I had a plan for Blackarachnia’s predacon army

With the death or starscream in TFA, you could totally have him possess terrosaur or waspinator for his glorious return!

1 Like

Oooh, that’s a really good idea!

I recommend this just because i am a big fan of terrorsaur… but it could further add to the mental breakdowns of wasp/waspinator.

1 Like

I am a particular fan of the fusion of non-G1 Transformers art styles with G1 characters. I especially like your Apeface. His head is nice and big. I always wished tfa had included actual headmasters (other than that mind control thing). Nice Job (:

2 Likes

Thank you very much

1 Like

I had tonnes of requests for these guys’ alt modes. While they aren’t full alt modes, it is a start

4 Likes

These are so good.

Not only do you do a masterful job of recreating the Animated styling, but their bios are pitch perfect. I can easily see Snapdragon getting in over his head and Apeface pulling him out of it. And I love the hints of an alt-mode you give each of them in the original art, as well as the snippets you’ve done of their alt-modes just now. I just love 'em :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Ayyyy, thank you so much!

1 Like