Tren Krom, the nightmarish placeholder

Mutran may have had the courtesy to spare the rest of the world with details on the big red gelatine ball with too many limbs but I sure do not. on the contrary here have some pictures.

Jokes aside heres another model i designed to fill a blank spot in my collection. Far too many important characters with no actual images out there but at least one less for me.

I at first wanted to build this with constraction parts but after many failed attempts I realised that system would both make shaping this monstrosity a lot easier AND it would look far more biological then constraction with all its pistons and greebling and the like. And so I went with it.

The camera doesnt capture it too well but there is the smallest glimmer of trans yellow in those sunken in holes in accordance with his description from Federation of fear.

Speaking of that story: A easily forgotten ability of his is to open a deadly third eye. Unfortunately for Carapar this model can do that too. Hidden eye’s trans yellow is once again not captured too well

And now a couple more angels to realy get a look at them tentacles. And of course to make sure any semblance of sanity is scrubbed clean from your brain. Youre very much welcome for that.

and to make it a bit more obvious where the yellow in his eyes actualy is here are some pictures with some replacements

15 Likes

This has to be one of my favorite, if not my absolute favorite, depictions of Tren Krom. Many people rely on the Bionicle system or CCBS to make pretty much anything related to Bionicle, but the bricks here and all the spikes you put on it make it feel out of place (as in it stands apart from Bionicle characters). I also like the details of the red vine pieces sticking out from the rocks, they give just a bit more detail and make the rocks feel more integrated.

Speaking of the rocks, I appreciate that you actually built him IN the rocks, rather than just on top of them. Tren Krom was anchored to his island, so it would make sense that a cave or at least part of it would be as necessary to his character as the actual tentacles.

5 Likes

thank you appreciate the praise! and yeah those are pretty much my thoughts exactly. originaly i did try to use constraction because “its bionicle” but seeing how it turned out with system im so glad that failed. regardless if its ccbs or traditional constraction it definitely fails to convey the organic look the smooth and gapless system pieces create.

also gave me a lot more options to make him a lot less humanoid. And the descriptions of him seems pretty clear that hes anything but humanoid. in fact to properly get a feel on how to even shape him i asked a friend of mine whos better at drawing from description to draw me an interpretation of him. definitely invaluable.

and yes the rock was a must. one of tren kroms defining characteristics throughout most of the story is that he was made a permanent part of his island. depicting him without it would have made it look like that connection wasnt as confining as it was

2 Likes

I think this is the first Tren Krom MOC I’ve seen that actually looks organic. I also greatly appreciate the accuracy to his description in the story; most art or MOCs I see tend to take some creative liberties that stray a bit.

I was going to point out the lack of eyes before you mentioned it here. Since there’s no way to backlight the eyes, it might be more visible if you used opaque yellow parts instead.

2 Likes

thank you yeah i do try to go for accuracy as much as its possible for me. might not look as fancy as some others but since i will use those as part of my actual collection i do try to have as little discrepancies with canon as possible.

as for the eyes i do somewhat prefer the transparent ones in person since the faint yellow glimmer you can see in person makes them look a bit deader, which according to federation of fear is what they should look like.

but yeah for the sake of people actualy being able to see where the yellow is supposed to be i can take some pictures with opaque replacements

funnily enough with how sunken in his eyes are it still took some trickery with light to make them actualy appear on camera in a good way.

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s a fair point.

The opaque ones definitely show up better in pictures though, even if you keep the translucent ones in the final version.

Also, I wasn’t expecting there to be pupils in there; it looks awesome.

On an unrelated note, one thing I forgot to mention in my original comment is the rock; you did a great job making Tren Krom look fused with the terrain.

2 Likes