Unintentional Bionicle lookalikes

Would you look at that, Bioman’s back at it again with another oddly specific observation topic.
I’ve noticed that there’s a bunch of Bionicle and other constraction characters who have a large resemblance to other characters, those often being completely unrelated. Thus, the similar look is probably unintentional. I’ve got 3 examples.

IMG_2259

Kongu Inika’s head just looks way too much like the official illustration for Karzahni. Both have a mildly insane look, a big grin and clashing textures.

IMG_2260

IMG_2261

The same goes for Hewkii and Voltix. The masks have a sorta similar shape, texture and the same colors (metal grey with lime beneath it).

This last one’s a bit of a stretch, but Hewkii Mahri’s mask has always reminded me of Euripides from Galidor (the show, not the toy - that one is pretty inaccurate looking). The shape is similar, and the slight greenish tint on Hewkii’s mask also helps.

Do you think any of these were intentional references, or are they purely coincidental? Do you have any more lookalikes?

13 Likes

I wouldn’t call that a stretch. I can definitely see that.

7 Likes

The Queen Beast reminds me of Nidhiki a bit.

8 Likes

I always thought about that Kongu/Karzhani look

anyways, Lewa and Lesovikk
image image

edit: going back to HF, Meltdown and XT4

7 Likes

Scourge gives MoL Makuta vibes
Scourge_rotb_png_by_kevingame_2_dfpq1mf

7 Likes

His feet look like Mata heads.

6 Likes

I can also see the original Mata feet in there.

6 Likes

The mask of Gladius (Makuta wannabe) from the Final Fighter line looks somewhat similar to Stormer 1.0’s helmet.

IMG_2353

What’s interesting is that this Gladius mask never actually existed, it’s only on the promo render and some box art. The actual set has a different, unique mask and some other, minor build changes.

6 Likes

are there achually any photos of the set? I know some Bionicle Bootlegs have don’t have any IRL photos of the actual sets

4 Likes

When was this Gladius set made?

2 Likes

From the Final Fighter wiki. The Stormer-like mask was never made, it’s only featured on some versions of the box and that one promo render. They did make a second box version featuring the released version, which has some other build changes too.

Roughly 2005-2006.

6 Likes

The head of Gekkor from Mystic Force instantly reminded me of how a G2 creature head looks on an uniter. Now that I’m seeing them side by side, the similarity isn’t actually that big, but there’s some semblance in the overall shape.

7 Likes

Kinda reminds me Brain Attack Breez

4 Likes

Oh man you’re right! It does look like her visor/helmet combo!

5 Likes