Unpopular Opinions about Movies (and Television Shows)

The books and movies.

look

that show wouldā€™ve been way more interesting if Thomas was fighting nazis

5 Likes

but then we wouldnā€™t get the hit video games LEGO Harry Potter Years 1-4 and LEGO Harry Potter Years 5-7!!!

and also

Tomas fighting nazis is a great idea

2 Likes

Likus, you mad man, youā€™ve accidentally come up with a mastermind idea

Also, I agree, Harry Potterā€™s entirely overrated.

4 Likes

Sure would be funny if he was involved with transporting some unfortunate peopleā€¦

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sOTBU5QJJWM

2 Likes

Thomas is based on an actual train that was built around 1913 so if he was built in 1913 he would have seen WWII

4 Likes

None of the MCU Disney+ shows have been good, with the strongly arguable exception of Hawkeye, which should have been a movie instead. Perhaps more controversially, Loki (the show, not the character who appears in previous media) was the worst of the Disney+ offerings by a significant margin.

Like some other people have said, Iā€™m not that excited for the future of the MCU. I think pre-Endgame (that is, including Endgame) MCU was very strong - thatā€™s not to say every movie was great or even ā€œgoodā€, but average MCU quality is still waaay higher than average blockbuster/action/superhero quality across-the-board.

And yes, TASM2 is great, although Iā€™m sure Iā€™ve expressed that somewhere else on the boards before.

Book of Boba is really, really bad. Perhaps not controversial in and of itself, but thatā€™s including Episode 5 (though Iā€™ll agree it was the best of the lot).

3 Likes

Strugglingā€¦to remainā€¦rationalā€¦

5 Likes

I canā€™t wait for the Loki episode where heā€™s tied to a rock with the entrails of his son and a snake spits poison at him

wait I might have the wrong timeline

5 Likes

Out of curiosity, is this because you found Loki to be good, or because you found the other shows to be worse?

1 Like

Loki was an incredible show. If I have an criticisms of the show, itā€™s that it found itself in the unfortunate position of having to play catch-up to the incredible character development ā€œprimeā€ Loki had over the course of four MCU movies.

But Loki does something amazing with its premise and thatā€™s showing that a character doesnā€™t need to be one thing. ā€œPrimeā€ Loki had a great story, and while ā€œLokiā€ Loki shares some of the otherā€™s history, the show takes this new iteration of the character to entirely new places and gives him development that rivals that of the original.

The character writing and dialogue are masterful. I was absolutely enthralled by any scene where Agent Mobius and Loki engage in some serious mental combat. Speaking of which, Mobius was a stand-out character for me. Heā€™s got charisma out the wazoo, much like Loki, and also much like Loki heā€™s incredibly intelligent. Only thing is that Mobius puts up the front of a curious fool. Loki puts up the front of an untouchable and righteous god. And Mobius plays the heck out of Loki for the entire show. Heā€™s an incredible engaging foil.

And speaking of engaging foils, Sylvie is also a stand-out character. Again, speaks to the themes of how the same character can be many things. She and Lokiā€™s romance touches on some pretty intense concepts (it is openly acknowledged how weird it, but fitting it is that Loki falls in love with ā€œhimselfā€), but itā€™s a very accurate depiction of the messy ways love can manifest itself.

As a final note, Loki meeting all of the variants of himself that exist in the show and learning from them is essentially the same concept that was used with the other Spider-Men in No Way Home (itā€™s been months, this isnā€™t a spoiler by now). Loki sees the successes and failures of different versions of himself, and through them he learns more about his own life and his own mistakes. And just like ā€œPrimeā€ Loki, he learns to actually care about other people.

I also really enjoyed it from an aesthetic point of view. Even if you take the Loki character and the MCU out of the equation, the premise and the visuals, I think, would still make an incredible sci-fi/modern fantasy series.

I also do think the other Disney+ shows were weaker compared to Loki.

WandaVision, when it was premiering, was engaging because of the mystery element. Without that mystery element after the fact, it doesnā€™t have the same ā€œdrawā€ that made it interesting the in the first place. Itā€™s not bad, I actually rather liked the concept and the homages to older generations of television. It was a unique project for the MCU, but it doesnā€™t have much re-watch value.

I enjoyed Falcon and the Winter Soldier the least, but mostly because it just feltā€¦I donā€™t know, lackluster? Itā€™s pretty well-known by now that the original story got gutted because of the pandemic and they had to censor the script and tip-toe around the issue. I really liked Sam and Buckyā€™s interactions, but the actual plot just didnā€™t feel consequential. Iā€™m looking forward to seeing more of Sam Wilson as Captain America, but in an actual movie.

I uhā€¦actually didnā€™t watch Hawkeye. Didnā€™t seem interesting to begin with.

TL:DR: I liked all of the shows, but Loki was an incredible show and easily the best of the four.

Although, the one-take ā€œactionā€ scene in Episode 3 where Loki and Sylvie try and get on the spaceship was really bad. Like, the blocking, the acting, and the ā€œactionā€ was realllly stilted and awkward and just bad. But thatā€™s the only actual scene in Loki I dislike.

5 Likes

:dizzy_face:

friendship status: pending ā€¦ pending ā€¦

over

4 Likes

I guess I should just give my overall review of the entire current stage of Marvel Phase 4, since everyoneā€™s praising/trashing on it right now:

WandaVision - Pretty good, but really just not my thing. Throughout the majority of the show, I found S.W.O.R.D. to frankly be pretty reasonable, so I didnā€™t buy into the whole ā€œthis dudeā€™s a bad guyā€ thing.

Falcon and the Winter Soldier - Ugh, didnā€™t really like this, as much as I really wanted to. Hereā€™s an unpopular opinion: John Walker was the stinking best character in the show. Really am hoping for more from him in the future.

Loki - This has been my favorite Disney+ show so far. This show did so many fun things that I canā€™t wait to see how they play out. Episode 5 was, I think, my favorite episode of any of the Disney+ Marvel shows to date.

Black Widow - If they had just released it immediately after Civil War or Infinity War, it would have felt like it actually mattered, but for now all it seemed to do that was moderately important was introduce Yelena (great character, though).

What If? - Love the premise, not so much the execution. They had some really fun episodes though. I especially loved the Zombies, Star-Lord Tā€™Challa, and Party Thor episodes.

Shang-Chi - This movie was great. Wenwu is one of my favorite villains in Marvel, and the whole mystical aspect was kinda refreshing.

Eternals - ā€¦Iā€™ll have to rewatch Thor: The Dark World, but this is my least favorite Marvel film. I cared literally 0 for any of the characters (except Kingo and the manager guy, they were fantastic) and the pacing hurt my stomach.

Hawkeye - This was very close to being my favorite Marvel show, just because I loved the style from the get-go. Iā€™m excited to see Kate Bishop and Spider-Man geek out over Avenger stuff together, thatā€™d be a lot of fun. Also, Kingpin.

Spider-Man: No Way Home - (sharp inhale)
ā€¦
ā€¦
ā€¦
GREATEST MARVEL MOVIE OF ALL TIME! (Please note that I am entirely biased to like anything Spider-Man related) This film was awesome! I donā€™t consider myself a sucker for fan service, but what I consider ā€œwell-doneā€ fan service gets me. Thatā€™s why I love Endgame and hate Rise of Skywalker. But this film was awesome to me on so many levels.

My favorite part is that regardless of how much we got of Maguire and Garfield, the movie still was about Hollandā€™s Spider-Man, and his final stage of growth into the Spider-Man we know and adore. Which, retroactively, makes Homecoming and Far From Home so much better in my eyes, because they werenā€™t Spider-Man movies that skipped over the origin, but they were the origin story. Thatā€™s something we never realized until No Way Home, which ends with Peter finally on his own, willing to make the sacrifices, and earning his responsibility, not having it forced upon him.

I could go on for hours and hours about how much I love this movie, how much I feel they added to each and every character that returned, but I know you guys donā€™t want to read all of that, youā€™re probably ready to type up your disagreements right now. But as a Spider-Man fan, this movie meant the world. I really hope the MCM (Marvel Cinematic Multiverse) continues to deliver, because while Phase 4 has had the most flops so far, there are movies like this one that remind me that Marvelā€™s still got it.

Also, Green Goblin is officially the best Marvel Villain.

The biggest crime that loki committed was not matching the fight in the beginning of ep2 with the beat of Holding out for a hero, the fight scene couldā€™ve actually felt right instead of the song just playing in the background for no reason.

seriously, look at this crap

Please excuse all the edits this was literally the only clip i could find.

2 Likes

I could (almost) flip this phrase completely on itā€™s head, if I were speaking to my own experiences. But nonetheless, I really appreciate the detailed answer - Iā€™m always interested to know why things that might not connect with one viewer can totally stick the landing for another.

I totally agree on your assessment of WandaVision. I enjoyed Falcon and the Winter Soldier, myself, but the ending felt very inelegant and forced (an issue I actually felt all the shows had rather severely). The cut plotline also definitely hurt it, so Iā€™m a bit more forgiving towards it than I perhaps am towards the others.

Iā€™d implore you to reconsider, with the caveat that our preferences in MCU shows are evidently not the same.

Oh, and while weā€™re speaking of radically unpopular opinions, I thought this movie was great. Villain could have been better, but the same could be said of Guardians of the Galaxy. Certainly beats out Ragnarok for me, it might even be in my top 10 MCU overall.

And yes, Iā€™m well aware this opinion borders on treason against the Marvel fandom.

1 Like

hereā€™s my unpopular opinion

LOTR is overrated

2 Likes

yes and no

2 Likes

After just watching HISHE I never even thought of that; just make people forget mysterio and the movie just never happens.

Iā€™m not certain how precise the magic can get, but as we see, many of the effects of the forgotten personā€™s life still linger, like the Daily Bugle having blown up despite never having the Peter Parker controversy to founded itself on, or Happy having known May but not Peter. Itā€™s quite possible that forgetting Mysterio wouldnā€™t have even made anyone forget what he revealed.

True though mysterio was mostly trusted as a hero from another universe so he still wouldā€™ve revealed it but there wouldā€™ve been less of a problem if just some dude revealed that info rather then this fake hero.