Unpopular Opinions about Movies (and Television Shows)

That’s likely true. Though to erase someone from everyone’s memory is kinda cruel, like erasing them from existence. I dunno, I know it’s not a perfect movie in terms of plot holes, but it accomplished a lot of amazing things in really creative ways, so I still am very impressed.

Easily one of the best marvel movies and The best Spider-Man movie.

1 Like

I feel like most people would actually agree with this?

and while true, that doesn’t stop me from loving it, tho I do think season 1 is way better than season 2

1 Like

Batman Forever is my favorite live action Batman movie due on large part to the score, the stylized visuals, and Jim Carrey. To me, it’s like the Galidor of the Batman franchise, with Batman and Robin being the Town Jr. of the franchise.

1 Like

I detest the voice acting on Nokama in legends of Metru Nui. I mean, apart from her laughing, it’s ok, but when she laughs it’s just weird.

Ted Bundy is overrated.

I was initially very excited to see the Lightyear movie that’s coming out this summer when the rumors were announced. I was a huge fan of the Buzz Lightyear of Star Command show when I was little (used to watch it religiously on Saturday mornings and I had a crush on the ginger blue skinned chick). Then in the first trailer it was revealed that my girl Mira doesn’t even appear in the film at all! Disney ruined Buzz Lightyear for me and I will never watch this dumpster fire…

2 Likes

I have plenty, but just a few for now:

• Spiderman the original trilogy is leaps and bounds ahead of any MCU movie yet produced. Even the third one is better than most of the MCU movies.
  • MCU movies are also kind of trash except for the first (and second?) Spiderman movies and Ant-Man
  • Andromeda is better than Star Trek
  • The best Star Trek tv series is Enterprise
  • Web of Shadows was a great movie

I can’t stand MCU Spider-Man. Iron Man 1 is the best MCU movie imo. It gets the top spot. Lots of time were we see Tony doing technical stuff in his garage. This movie is truly inspirational and I don’t get that feeling watching other MCU movies.

3 Likes

Yeah it feels like the early movies focused a lot more on characters. Now they just release a random movie with TEN new characters and do nothing about developing them (not like they have the time to). But it really felt like, at least for Hulk and Iron Man, they had their fair share of conflict and development which endears one to the characters.

DUNE (2021) was very weird and confusing to people who don’t know the lore

Well, I wouldn’t say so. Prior to watching the film, I had had extremely vague understanding of what it was about, yet I still understood the movie perfectly when I did watch it. Then I showed it to a relative of mine (who had tried to read the book once like a few decades ago and hated it) and he seemed to understand and enjoy the movie quite a lot.
So, I think they did a pretty good job explaining the lore to those who never read the book or/and never watched the disaster that is the old Dune movie.

Okay here’s an unpopular(?) opinion: nowadays Oscar has become the least reliable movie award, as it doesn’t show how good the movies are, it is more about how “politically correct” and what not they are

10 Likes

Well, let’s agree to disagree.

While that is still an unpopular opinion, I feel a lot more people have been more or less convinced of that side in the last few years. Consider the harrowing retelling(s) of the vicious Attack of the Fresh Prince from not long ago - The titular character went on to win Best Actor for the flop King Richard, which had a budget of $50,000,000 and only made $38,125,174 internationally, a loss of $11,874,826 - a financial failure which failed to pay for itself. The Fresh Prince still claiming an award for outstanding performance on what was undoubtedly a bomb is one of unfortunately many occurrences cited in arguments by those explaining why their opinion has shifted to favor this unpopular opinion.

There was an excellent (although not boards appropriate) video I viewed recently detailing that, through the lack of foresight of current and recent actors, the concept of a film star as an untouchable icon of the stage has been irrevocably destroyed. Before a faux pas on the part of a famous actor would have made international headlines; now it takes on-camera assault to draw attention and said attention is primarily focusing on meme material.

I feel unsafe dodging so many off-boards topics like this, so I’ll end it there.

Here’s another unpopular opinion that’s slightly relevant: what defines a good acting job and what used to define good acting has changed for the worse.

3 Likes

I honestly had no clue what Dune was before I watched it, but I still had a very enjoyable time watching it. While there were many confusing parts, as you said, I got the general idea from context and am eager to learn more from its future installations.

2 Likes

Unpopular? Most people have given up on awards shows in general. The “voters” are all a bunch of “real adult” elitist boomers that probably have never paid for an actual movie ticket for the movies they “vote” for. They remind me of the critic quotes on boxes; you know the ones that say every movie is the best movie of the year?

4 Likes

those are all me sorry

6 Likes

Since the Grammy’s absolutely pulled a fast one and snubbed Butter for Rain on Me, especially after hyping BTS really hard leading up to and during the show, I’ve lost all faith in the credibility of award shows. And I strongly dislike K-pop.

I agree.

1 Like

And you hadn’t 5 to 6 years ago?