Unpopular Opinions about Movies (and Television Shows)

I’ve got plenty more strange opinions about that show if you’d like…

3 Likes

Yes please

3 Likes

Toby was a good character and I like him a significant amount more than Michael.

Michael’s “that’s what she said” was barely funny once and then it got boring and stupid every time after that.

I think Ryan the temp was a pointless part and just wasted time.

Kevin is not funny because he’s stupid, it’s pathetic and uncomfortable to watch.

Stanley is funnier than Dwight.

Not sure if those are all widespread opinions but a certain office-obsessed individual I know says I’m uncultured for feeling this way.

3 Likes

Honestly, I agree. I’ve seen numerous episodes in my university, and they all strike me as relying heavily on catchphrases, running gags, and nostalgia. It seems that that’s what gets most people into it now, the nostalgia for back when The Office was the top sitcom on public television.

Also, it has many jokes that aged poorly, (which I won’t mention because they are definitely not boards friendly), and that for me is something that ruins the show for me. To rely on crude humor to any large degree rather ruins any show, because it shows that the directors want the audience to be merely stimulated to watch, not stimulated to think about what they’re watching.

And I will stop there. I probably ran too long in this comment.

2 Likes

A new day, with a set of new unpopular opinions:

• The Jurassic World trilogy was not as terrible as most JP fans and critics tend to make it, but it did have a lot of missed potential and could’ve been much better overall. (Especially Dominion.)

• Season 4 of TDP (The dragon prince) was also pretty good for what it was, and most of its critics were way too harsh on it.
    (It certainly had some issues, but it was far from being as bad as people made it look.)

• The Star Wars prequels are still bad films, and the sequels are much better than those regarding acting, visual effects, and writing.
    (Except for sound design and overarching story themes, the Prequels still hold up in those fields, NGL.)

• While Helluva Boss and Hazbin Hotel are great indie animated shows, they’re vastly overrated in many ways.
    (e.g., Murder Drones by Glitch Studio and Lackadaisy are way better than them, IMO.)

2 Likes

preach :relieved: :fist:

Then again, I haven’t seen Helluva Boss or Hazbin Hotel so my only impressions of those two are secondhand.

4 Likes

Glad to see someone else who is into those! :smiley: :handshake:

As for HB and HH, I can recommend them to you, but here is a little summary about them:

Well, without spoiling too much, Both Helluva and Hazbin have a ton of great stuff in them, especially the character’s development and the drama. However, they tend to push the humor way too much and often commit the same mistakes as other adult comedies on cable channels usually do.

2 Likes

I finally started watching Dune and Christ does it just drag on and on like nobody’s business. I stopped watching 30 minutes in becuase it’s all talking and half the time the music is so loud I couldn’t even understand what they were saying.

3 Likes

I gotta agree with you. I’m happy for Dune fans to get a movie that’s very accurate to the source material but it’s so darn boring most of the time

2 Likes

That’s the only part that is rather annoying in the book as well. The author wrote a bunch of background for the main plot, but it wound up as a series of appendices in the back of the book rather than being explained during the story.

2 Likes

Thor: Love and Thunder is a pretty good movie, and though it is goofy and silly in moments, the humor actually adds to the depth of the grief that surrounds the film’s true emotional themes. I could talk for a while on this one. I know a lot of people dislike it and that’s fine, but I think there is something really powerful in it that gets overlooked way too quickly by viewers.

4 Likes

The American Godzilla design is kinda…. lame

2 Likes

I suspect this is a very unpopular opinion, but The Sound Of Music is painfully mid

Maria comes off as somewhat unhinged, as all the catchy beats and character traits people remember from the film boil down to copium and mantras in an attempt to never be even remotely sad by gaslighting herself into happiness. There’s a number of other issues, but that’s definitely my main problem with it by a good amount. The usual defenses of it being an anti-nazi film (thereby making it automatically good) are a bit silly considering much better films like Casablanca exist and accomplish that end while not devolving the entire film in order to do it.

At some point I want to see the German film The Trapp Family because it’s basically the exact same thing but made quite a bit earlier. Hopefully it’s able to avoid the pitfalls of its more popular spinoff.

2 Likes

At long last, someone of like mind.

I’d also agree that the film is highly overrated. I’ve heard from my mother that the actual people it was based on were a bit put off by it because of the simplicity of the songs and the shallowness of the whole thing. If I recall correctly, the company that produced it more or less swindled the wife, who wasn’t the most business savvy, into selling the story to the studio.

The worst part is I don’t see the musical numbers it boasts as acceptable for how famous it is. I’m perfectly fine with admitting they’re nice songs, but other than “Do, a Deer,” none of them particularly stood out to me (and even then, “Do, a Deer” is only memorable because a kids’ radio channel blasted the living daylights out of it). The performers certainly had talent and they played their parts well, but the parts themselves were what held it back.

4 Likes

Apparently my hot takes have been reaching audiences recently :smirk:

Every Christmas I am reminded that My Favorite Things exists because snowflakes and silver white winters are in the lyrics and that’s good enough for every national and local radio station to blast it right up until new year’s

3 Likes